ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

using a companys wifi network

what would you do ?
when i pick the gf up from work i some times need to wait a bit for her so i get the laptop out and start playing a game or something put it always manages to connect to a companies wifi network thats not protected and i dont think thats good but what makes it worse is that their servers have remote desktop enabled on them and allow connections from wifi clients so i could log on to them if i so wanted and had the tools etc

no what would you do ?

a) carry on and leave them too it
b) tell them to stop been stupid and secure the damn network ???

Turbos.
Well the nice thing to would be to tell them Mr Dogmaul. Or say you're an IT consultant, say you can show them how to fix it and charge them. Everyone's a winner ;)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
LOL. I do this too mate. :) I know its against the law but its only a bit naughty and i'm only smurfing. :)

i mean i love remote desktop on a secure network but allowing anyone full graphical access to all your servers from outside your building !!! come on thats not a good idea.

from what i gather they are some sort of science lab so god knows what info i could find on there

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Personally I'd log in to the router, secure the network, then charge them for the wep key :D

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Have there been any cases of prosecution for wifi stealing in the uk?

Your computer has asked for a connection, and their server gave it to you!

yeah but then actually changing router config and holding a wep key for ransom isnt just falling onto someones network :p

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Why not, their server asked you if you wanted to change the password, you said yes :D

R35 GTR
MikeDX said:
Have there been any cases of prosecution for wifi stealing in the uk?

Your computer has asked for a connection, and their server gave it to you!

yes, biojo showed me a story from the bbc website (iirc) the other day, I couldnt believe it.

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Ah yes, I recall the slashdot discussion now, I'm sure there was more to this story though than meets the eye and it was quite high profile for a tech story about some guy stealing wifi.

If you are gonna park outside somebodys house day after day, you are asking for trouble.

tbh whats the point? They are obviously an outfit of muppits if they are using insecure wireless.

Also, how are you going to log onto the clients through mstc if you dont know any of the passwords or even usernames for that matter?

Clio 182
lets be honnest if some wanted to do damage the lack of a username and password will only hold them up a short time look hundreds of tools could get password, including password sniffners that intercept traffic.... I would carry on using it tbh if they are too stupid not to secure it then it is there own fault.

Lookup wardriving it is the name for people searching and recording unsecure networks across the world using GPS you pinpoint the location and upload it.

1fast6 lol saying that is silly i know one username and thats administrator ;) hardly any places rename the admin account also i have a tool here that can tell me who is logged onto every pc on the network that i use for my job

finding passwords out isnt rocket science either

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
I'd probably let them know, they may be unaware, to make sure that a user hasn't just added one onto the LAN so they can work wirelessely.

We call them

Computer
User
Non
Technical's

You can argue that the connection is there and talking to you so its fair game to use.

But as soon as you try and access any resources that are secured (even with just username/password) then I think your asking for trouble if caught.

There was a case a few years ago of someone caught hacking a company network and he got let off because he argued there was nothing telling him he shouldn't enter. Don't know if there is still that loophole but the recommendation at the time was a banner pop-up before the login screen saying that this network is secured and unauthorised access will be prosecuted etc etc.

RB 182
McBunny said:
lol now there is an idea lol hum knowing my luck id get arrested lol

If you clear the logs on there router the chances of actually being caught is very unlikely as it would be in unallocated area of the router which is hard to prosecute, CMA isn't something that isn't used much against people really.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Find a desktop that has a user working on it, open up word and write the hip hap slap bang infront of them, maybe that will make them think about securing it.