ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

UV Filters

Re the above, I currently have a UV filter on my lens to protect it from scratches and dust etc. It was one from eBay which cost about £5.

Was in Jessops the other day just generally browsing and the UV filters in there cost anything from about £20 up.

Is there any benefit to paying extra for something like this, or will the cheaper ones suffice? As said, it's purely to protect the actual lens from scratches.

Fiesta ST-3
I think with photography stuff, you get what you pay for. I would of thought the ones in jessops would be hoya filters. So probably a more clear glass.

Yea that was my thinking.

The one I have seems fairly well built, good solid glass etc. I've seen a few cheaper ones which are utter s**t.

What is a good brand to buy without spending a fortune?

Get rid of it. Pointless. End.

Just more glass for light to pass through, reducing image quality.

I bought a UV filter for my first lens as I was paranoid about scratches etc......pointless though. As long as you look after your gear you won't need it. Do you see pros with UV filters? Nope.

I've owned 7-8 lenses and only ever put a filter on one to protect it from drunk people and alcohol.

Apart from that they are generally a waste of time, get a good insurance policy, it'll work out cheaper than good filters and cover you for more than a few scratches.

Always a devisive choice, though I am yet to hear of anyone that has taken the perfect picture which has been ruined by the degradation in image quality that one filter makes ;)

Last edited:
Always a devisive choice, though I am yet to hear of anyone that has taken the perfect picture which has been ruined by the degradation in image quality that one filter makes ;)

I've seen plenty of images with odd flares, especially in night shots but having no filter has ever caused me to have any degradation ;)

And looking at the 'gear stolen' thread.... money better spent on insurance!

Cupra
I paid for a decent one (b&w) but rarely use it these days unless it's raining or I'm on the beach. I have lens hoods which offer more protection from impact than a filter can.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have Hoya Pro1 Digital ones on most of my lenses, sometimes take them off though.

When I started out I was under the impression that it was like a tradition to get one on the lens ASAP and keep it on!

Ive had cheap ebay ones and half decent ones as i was also under the impression they where mandatory... however i removed them all as im careful with my lenses anyway and i was getting a lot of flare.