ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

valver top speed

i know its probably been discused before but what is the top speed for a clio valver? on paper its supposed to be about 130ish i think. i personally have had 140mph out of my old one and it wasnt a one off and no it wasnt down hill. anyone else?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

143mph out of my old on on the clocks, on track of course! got there quicker than i expected too, thats the limiter tho

141mph with a vid to prove it.

[Edited by rockport on 19 October 2004 at 5:03pm]

If it wasnt for my rev limiter my valver would be off the clock with no trouble.

my m8 had his up to 130 no probs, not even at the limiter.

had the Willy WELL off the clock and still not managed to hit the limiter! lol

bit scary really, myne was doing 140 but not on the limiter i backed off thought that was quite enough, embarresed a omega v6 aswell, myne wasnt chipped either would it have made much difference if it had?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

both of mine have, but neither were standard! the yellow beast pulls to the limiter in 5th without even getting a sweat on tho hehe

BMW 320d Sport

Hmmm Ill believe a valver doing a GENUINE 140 when I see it. 140 on the clock is more like 130 anyway. Id say 130 is about the top whack that youll see out of a valver. I think the book was 129, in practice you could probably see a little more but Id be very surprised to see anything like 140. I know, because on our Cliosport trip to the Nurburgring a couple of years ago, when we were playing overtaking leapfrog on the autobahn, my turbo valver, a V6 (or two?) and a couple of 172s were staaming ahead of the main convoy to stretch the old legs a bit. I left them behind after a while and my Clio wasnt in a particularly high state of tune, running somewhere around 200bhp at the time, and that was showing just over 140 on the clock, on longer than normal gearing because of my 17s and a Williams box - GPS speed of 145mph.

The reason why Im saying this is not cos I want to show off that mines quick, but to tell you that my 145mph in a Clio is not just quick but f**king scary. 130mph is one thing, anyone can crank it up to 120 on a bit of straight then keep it planted and edge up to a genuine 130, showing anything up to 140 on the clock. In my experience, with a standard or tuned valver, you hit a brick wall at around 125, then with a lot of effort youll creep up to 130 then youre all done. A true 140 feels a hell of a lot faster than 130mph, seriously. Think about it, thats TWICE the motorway speed limit and it is honestly f**king crazy. Not that Im saying no-one else has done a real 140 before, but what I mean is in a mark 1 Clio its something else LOL

I remember a similar thread a while back and it was the same story, people coming in with stories of their valvers or even Willys doing 135, 140, 145 etc. Dont you think if Renault had tested it and seen 140+ they would have said so? That would have been 15-20mph quicker than any other hatch at the time that valvers were being built! The fact is that hatches with 150bhp or less just cant crack the 140mph limit and even 130 is a struggle unless youve got a long long bit of road.

BMW 320d Sport

BTW Im not taking the piss here, I know there are some quick, tuned motors about, Adams_16v, Rockport your numbers make sense, 143, 141 etc as long as you take that as a clock figure and not genuine - 135 and 133 would be about right and thats not even a 10% under-reading, thats with a speedo just 5% out.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

What I cant figure out..slightly off topic is that the book top speed for a williams is 134mph but it hits the limiter at around 135/138 on the speedo, which must be more like 128-130 real mph.??

BMW 320d Sport

Speedos vary in their inaccuracy. Youd need to get results from a few different Willys to check it properly.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Well I was using a general opinion rather then a a figure from my car..but IMO the speedo would have to be reading a good 145mph to be doing a true 134 or am I missing something?

Quote: Originally posted by Snufty on 19 October 2004

I have aphoto of mine on thge limiter in 5th at 7700rpm reading 153

Sounds like your speedo is way off mate, either that or youre running huge BHP??? which is it...???

Simon.

LY 200

I had 120 today and then backed off as im a bit of a tart when it comes to higher speeds!!:oops:

2004 1.2 Dynamique

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 19 October 2004

143mph out of my old on on the clocks, on track of course! got there quicker than i expected too, thats the limiter tho
f**kin hell thats quick

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 30 October 2004

Hmmm Ill believe a valver doing a GENUINE 140 when I see it. 140 on the clock is more like 130 anyway. Id say 130 is about the top whack that youll see out of a valver. I think the book was 129, in practice you could probably see a little more but Id be very surprised to see anything like 140. I know, because on our Cliosport trip to the Nurburgring a couple of years ago, when we were playing overtaking leapfrog on the autobahn, my turbo valver, a V6 (or two?) and a couple of 172s were staaming ahead of the main convoy to stretch the old legs a bit. I left them behind after a while and my Clio wasnt in a particularly high state of tune, running somewhere around 200bhp at the time, and that was showing just over 140 on the clock, on longer than normal gearing because of my 17s and a Williams box - GPS speed of 145mph.

The reason why Im saying this is not cos I want to show off that mines quick, but to tell you that my 145mph in a Clio is not just quick but f**king scary. 130mph is one thing, anyone can crank it up to 120 on a bit of straight then keep it planted and edge up to a genuine 130, showing anything up to 140 on the clock. In my experience, with a standard or tuned valver, you hit a brick wall at around 125, then with a lot of effort youll creep up to 130 then youre all done. A true 140 feels a hell of a lot faster than 130mph, seriously. Think about it, thats TWICE the motorway speed limit and it is honestly f**king crazy. Not that Im saying no-one else has done a real 140 before, but what I mean is in a mark 1 Clio its something else LOL

I remember a similar thread a while back and it was the same story, people coming in with stories of their valvers or even Willys doing 135, 140, 145 etc. Dont you think if Renault had tested it and seen 140+ they would have said so? That would have been 15-20mph quicker than any other hatch at the time that valvers were being built! The fact is that hatches with 150bhp or less just cant crack the 140mph limit and even 130 is a struggle unless youve got a long long bit of road.

Agreed, mine zips upto 120 but it takes soooo long to get upto anything resembling 130 - ive seen 133 on the clock so thats not far off a true 130 id say but the amount of time it takes to get there is too long for me. way too much time for a zap or two!

here we go, another top speed post with people coming on with thier over exaggerated top speeds, ive had my williams flat out at 138 with induction kit decat cat back magnex, so how is it possible for a 16v with similar mods (not the ones with the extensive mods) to me going any faster than that???

or is my williams just crap?

[Edited by Tiger on 31 October 2004 at 10:43pm]

No snufty generally talks b****cks.

Remember all the driving tales rubbish he used to post. Ferraris/evos and tuned cossies were no match for his beast.

Snufty 153mph in a valver:eek:. You got a death wish?? I bet you it was rattling and shaking

You say you have proof, post it up then.

Had 124 GPS out of the RSi, was at about 6k revs reading just over 130 on the speedo. Think i could ahve had more, but ran outa road

had my willy engined valver, chipped, with R19 16v box and 17s on the limiter @ 138mph, which felt quick until my mate stormed past on his bike!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Daz0rz on 31 October 2004

Agreed, mine zips upto 120 but it takes soooo long to get upto anything resembling 130 - ive seen 133 on the clock so thats not far off a true 130 id say but the amount of time it takes to get there is too long for me. way too much time for a zap or two!
Id say your speedo will be less accurate than that...... at York dragway my car reads about 98-99 on the clock at the end of the 1/4 but the true time is 93mph. Oh and i would be amazed if you could hit 153 with a valver...mine would struggle to get to 150.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1098063586__speedo.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1098063586__speedo.jpg

Well im running 17s on mine and find it gets to like 125mph on the clock pretty easily then seems to take a LONG time to get a long way past that...

148 verified on GPS (@6900rpm) - the power of throttle bodies for ya (in the 172)

[Edited by Roamer on 01 November 2004 at 4:35pm]