ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver Vs Civic VTI

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

hello , myself and a mate of mine were having a discussion , he is getting a standard civic EG VTI and says it will cane a valver, well on straights anyway, surely there is bugger all in it? ?

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Just done a search myself. lol cant find any but there has been many threads. Im probably just not searching for the right word.

I would think a VTi is slightly quicker. They are very tuneable though decat & system make the world of difference as will a VTEC controller. I know a couple of modified VTis locally around 190bhp. I think theyll do around 140 standard but are not as quick as the 172

nothing in it, i can keep up with a standard crx which has the same engine yet a lot lighter and more aerodynamic. I would say if your a half decent driver who knows how to keep the valver on song you should keep up no probs.

Had a 4 door EG VTi for 18 months before my Golf VR6, and whilst the golf was way more comfortable the civic was way quicker, handled better and "felt" far more of a performance car - I spent many months regretting selling it.....but then I got the Cup and have been all smiles for nearly two years since!

Moral - do not underestimate a VTI. Oh, I had an EG ESi before that (single cam 1.6 VTEC 125bhp) and that was sh1te - VTi (twin cam 160bhp) is totally different animal. Dont confuse the two!

Yeah the B16 engine in the CRX Vtec and the Civic VTi is a awesome engine.. My mates CRX is a 91 with 150K on the clock and still RRd at 167bhp!

Quote: Originally posted by Gary Brown on 25 November 2004

Had a 4 door EG VTi for 18 months before my Golf VR6, and whilst the golf was way more comfortable the civic was way quicker, handled better and "felt" far more of a performance car - I spent many months regretting selling it.....but then I got the Cup and have been all smiles for nearly two years since!

Moral - do not underestimate a VTI. Oh, I had an EG ESi before that (single cam 1.6 VTEC 125bhp) and that was sh1te - VTi (twin cam 160bhp) is totally different animal. Dont confuse the two!

i have an EG esi...and yes ill admit they aint a patch on the vti-but thats pretty obvious, 35bhp less and sohc what ya expect!

still its better than an lsi and will see of 205gtis (1.6) and the like, qould like to have a go at an rsi, what are they 0-60? speakin of which, how quick is the esi? ive heard 8.4?!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

I had quite a level race with a vti, which had possible the loudest exhaust ive ever heard. was a right shed though

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by ALLWOOD on 26 November 2004

Nissan (almera) pulsar zvr na 1.6 vvl 200bhp tried one of these anyone?
Mate ive never even seen one in the flesh let alone race one! lol Seen pics though and i know they are quick. The 200 bhp one is the special edition though. Normal VZRs are 170 odd im pretty sure.

Isnt the power delivery in the VTI a bit bad - more power yes but zero torque lower below a certain point. Kinda like a valver but worse...?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 26 November 2004

Isnt the power delivery in the VTI a bit bad - more power yes but zero torque lower below a certain point. Kinda like a valver but worse...?
Much much worse! It means you can drive it like a 1.0l if you want but you have to rev the f**k out of them to make them go quick! They start playing at 5k revs or something like that.

Yep, 5700 or so is where the vtec changes happen, and as you say below that you might as well be in any old weedy thing, but beyond that its awesome. And the gearing means that if you change at the red line (8000rpm) you go straight to 5700/5800 rpm in the next gear and wahhay away you go all over again - very addictive.

Before the VTi I had an ESi, and that followed two 1.6 205 GTis I had; I would say that the ESi was close to the 205 gtis in a straightline drag race style way, but just never felt like a performance car in the way the pugs and VTis did.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Guy on here dave_gti used to have one. Very nice, very subtle, Im sure it had 170bhp which is a fair bit for carrying bread ;).

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

Yep .. we meet with the almera lot in tonbridge quite often and 1 of the guys has a vzr..The cup is quicker but not much

I had a VTi civic before my cup and yes dont underestimate them as they are seriously rapid when kept in the "zone" i.e above 5,600...totally lacking in low down grunt though.

Have to say that the cup is much easier to make swift progress in, and you dont have to scream the **** out of it to get a move on.