ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Van-driving numpty! Grrr...

Megane 230 R26
As I said the other day I'm currently visiting the gf at Uni in Swansea... about 20 minutes ago she'd just left for her lecture and my mobile rings, I'm thinking it's because she's gone and forgotten her keys which I told her to make sure she had on her... I answer, she says "There's a van parked REEEEEALLY close to your car, look out the window"... I look out the window and there's a Turqoise Mercedes Vito parked SO close to the Trophy that I can't tell if it's touching or not, I ask her if it's touching and she says no but it's VERY close.

I went outside to take a look, the van was literally parked a 1/4 inch off my front bumper, the top of his bumper lining up *just* below the top of the number plate recess. It naturally struck me as a bit of a coincidence if he'd managed to park that close *without* finding where my car was by driving into it, so I jumped in and reversed it back, got down on the road to take a look and there's three small pieces of paint missing from the piece of bumper immediately above the number plate which seem to line up perfectly with a rougher scratched part of his bumper with lots of quite sharp bits on it, from where the t**t has driven into something previously... no red paint on his bumper but then it didn't take much off.

I know for a fact there was no damage there when I fully washed, de-tarred and waxed the car on Saturday morning, I specifically removed some stubborn tar from that exact area of bumper and the paint was pristine... so I go into this bakery/cafe place which is just along the road and ask if they happen to know who the van belongs to, the woman says "Oh that's Andy's" and points to this group of scruffy looking blokes sat at a table in the corner... I go over and ask if that's their van, the bloke says yes and asks why - when he's walked past my car to get to the cafe - I explain that I found his van was parked 1/4 inch off my bumper and there's some paint missing... his mate says "He's got parking sensors", I said "Oh right?", his mate continues "When he reverses into another car he hears a bump, and then he knows to stop"!

I start getting angry at this point, my car was parked at the very front of the legal on-street parking and this numpty has come along and stuck his van on double yellows, in order to drive into my car in the first place... and now they all seem to think it's funny. I asked if he had his insurance details on him, he started saying about how it's only a little scratch etc and it's "one of those things", I said that's not the point, he's damaged it, and the fact they all think it's funny means that whereas I might have put it down to "one of those things", now they've pissed me off I'm going to take it all the way... the bloke says he's not going to give me the details, so I said if he wants to fail to produce I can just call the Police, he says they'll be ages, I say well he'll just have to wait ages for them, as if he leaves he'll just have racked up another offence for them to deal with when they do find him... and eventually he produces the details, which I note down.

I took photos of the car + van before I moved it, a close-up that showed where his bumper lined up on mine (I could barely fit my phone between the vehicles to take it), two photos that show the reg of each vehicle adjacent to the other (This is before I looked to see if there was any damage because I've been stung before with an insurance company not believing me, regarding some more serious damage to my previous car whilst parked) and then in the end I took a close-up of the damage itself. Can't upload yet though because my phone USB cable is at home.

Any advice on whether his insurance company is likely to do anything? There are a few more stone chips etc on my bumper and if I got a resprayed bumper out of this it might be quite nice to be honest ;) I know it was only a few pieces of paint he took off in a fairly inconspicuous location, but that's a few pieces of paint that were attached to my otherwise nearly mint Trophy prior to that c**k removing them, and his attitude makes me want to go to the ends of the earth to make sure he loses his no claims to be quite honest, if he had any in the first place!

And of course I don't know how much force the bumper has taken because his will have eventually hit my number plate which is harder to damage, for all I know there could be bent mountings etc although it seems ok at first glance - I'm not going to go crawling under the car in its present location to have a look... Grrrrrrrr :mad:

Megane Trophy, Golf
Fookin gypsy van drivers! Yeah mate, take him all the way and wipe that smile off his face (Kn*B). I hate inconsiderate pr*cks like that!! ;)

182 inside
do him proper! i had this with my last car. managed to get all little dings etc on his insurance. would of been £100 but my garage made him pay alot more.

Great insurance!!

sorry to hear about the car mate. Some van drivers are so fu**in inconsiderate and it really fu**s me off.

I would demand a respray on the bumper cuz if they say they will "touch it up" then just say that it will still be visible and unsmooth, which is how it was originally.

Good luck getting it sorted mate.

Good luck with sorting that mate, you're doing the right thing. If he hadn't been such an arse about it and thinking it was funny then I would have sorted it with cash

T

thecremeegg

Thats welsh driving for you.....its as if they dont take a test here, the standards are that lax! My cars parked on the main road in swansea and i sh1t myself cos i cant afford to get it repainted lol

LY V6 with Recaros
Sorry to hear this, stories like that make me so angry! Your doing the right thing, what an arrogant t**t! :mad:

Megane 230 R26
Cheers people, sorry my original post was such an essay but grrrrrrrrr it made me so angry! :mad:

Thats welsh driving for you.....its as if they dont take a test here, the standards are that lax! My cars parked on the main road in swansea and i sh1t myself cos i cant afford to get it repainted lol

Don't envy you marking there mate... I presume you mean the A483 dual carriageway that comes in from the M4 and runs all along the seafront? I always think it's strange that it's a dual carriageway but parking is allowed (although granted it's 30/40mph), but people driving through who don't know the road don't expect a row of parked cars to suddenly appear, and then the inconsiderate drivers there don't let them change lanes! As if they're just going to have to crash into the back of a parked car... I noticed they have signs on the quite wide paved bit in the central reservation saying don't park there, goes to show people would rather park there than in the road!

A Beautiful R32
Call your insurance company mate and inform the police. It might seem petty, but people like this deserve what's coming to them. Besides, if he's done it to you, he might well have done it worse to other people.

Your insurance company might well take it on under their legal protection group. Especially if he admits liability.

Call them & let us know what happens.

Racing Blue 182
Yep, call both the police and the insurance company. They can find his insurance details from just a regsitration plate anyways, so you will be fine.

He deserves for you to make a claim on his insurnace, he will regret not appologising then.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
He deserves it, take it to the insurance. he might think twice about hitting the next guys car then