ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very hot MBP...

S3, Polo
My 2-week old 15" i7 MBP (running Lion) has an average CPU temp of 83 deg C (highs of 87) playing simple platformer Limbo? Is this normal? :S

The bottom of the case gets *very* hot as well - too hot to touch, actually. :dead:

I dread to think what it might be like doing some really intensive CG rendering!?!?!

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
My Mbp gets very hot too, i7 processor.

How do I see my temp though, quite new to apple laptops?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
On the dashboard there is a temperature widget. You can add as many as you want to show all the different temps.

And yes it's normal for a MBP to hit 90 degrees when the graphics chip is running. It won't go much above that (if at all) as the unibody is very good at dissipating the heat.

S3, Polo
What surface is it sitting on?

Last night, it was on my lap.

My Mbp gets very hot too, i7 processor.

How do I see my temp though, quite new to apple laptops?

Mine was basically burning my thighs last night! I used a small utility that sits in the status bar because the widget isn't currently available for download from Apple's site. The utility lets you know core temps and fan rpm (not sure if I'd ever use it, but it features a configurable fan speed for when you're doing intensive tasks, too).

Apparently the manual refers to the MBP as a 'notebook' because the case of an MBP is essentially a heat-sink and the term 'laptop' implies that you can use it on your lap. Judging by last night, I can't use this on my lap. Awesome.

Currently @ a constant 33 deg C, browsing CS.

BMW X5
Hello all,

I bought a MBA about 2 months ago, brand new. Was using it last night connected to my TV watching a film when I thought I could smell burning. Bear in mind the device is sat on laminate, so plenty of air to travel under etc. Went over to it and went to pick it up and it burnt my finger, so I dropped it (like an immediate reaction touching an oven), approx 6 inches from floor- it dented edge of screen slightly but nothing major.

It shut down automatically and I left it for a while to cool down. When I looked at it the black area at the back has melted and the metal underneath has a hazing on it like when metal is heated up to high temp and cooled down, and now the device wont turn on at all!!

Pretty gutted really as it was expensive device and didnt think this would happen. I have an appointment with Apple Regent St so will let you know how I get on!!

149xlqq.gif

vyp5z4.jpg

2ihbghj.jpg

24cw3li.jpg

DJ

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Must have been doing something intensive in the first place. But yeah its pretty odd.

BMW X5
Well I think I was running VLC, uTorrent (which ALWAYS makes the fan run) and VM ware (but this was not under use, just minimised).

I really don't have a clue what caused it! I can only guess that the fan may have packed up, but still... maybe a PSU issue?

DJ

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Well I think I was running VLC, uTorrent (which ALWAYS makes the fan run) and VM ware (but this was not under use, just minimised).

I really don't have a clue what caused it! I can only guess that the fan may have packed up, but still... maybe a PSU issue?

DJ

uTorrent is gash software, use Transmission (unlikely the cause, but transmission is lovely)

Sounds like the fan died.

EDIT

Google, utorrent osx fan. Oh dear.

BMW X5
OK- so just got back. Turns out the battery has exploded... They wanted to repair it, but I said I wasnt happy with that as it was only 2 months old. As I had bought it from the Apple store they replaced then and there. Can't fault their service, second to none...

Right... time to test how good the time machine is at restoring!

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I think that beat the rest of our heat issues! Great that you got it replace, they wanted to repair my 4 week old one that had a fault sensor. I said the same as you and walked out with a new one.

Also I think i may uninstall utorrent!

BMW X5
Thanks for the info... I won't re-install that utorrent then...

To be fair the service was one of the winning factors when making the decision to buy the laptop, so glad I made the right choice over the Asus Zen.