ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very Strange Gearbox Fault?

1.6 16v
Hi there guys, i've been surfing the forum all day to try and find someone who has experienced the same fault as what im experiencing now. This is going to be very hard to explain but i'll try my best,

I have a 1.6 2004 Clio which has done 66k mostly motorway driving.

Recently it has developed this strange fault,

whilst driving, First, Second and Third gears make a whinning noise, as if you are driving in reverse, higher the speed, higher the pitch, No noise in Forth although sounds like somethings rattling under the car, Then Fifth whines like hell.
On top of all of this, the gearstick jolts, ie. When i put the car in first, i'll move off then the gear stick pops back about an inch. same in second and third.

Looking at sites and on this forum somebody suggested it could be my mounts, so i fitted a brand new twisted dog bone and managed to get hold of a top right engine mount in good condition from my local scrappy.

This cured the problem!

Unfortunately, a couple of weeks later, the same problems starting to come back. At first i thought that maybe i didnt tighten the bolts enough so i put it back in the air and had a little look underneath to check.

All the bolts are fine but i did notice what looks like transmission oil on the bottom of the gearbox.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks very much and HAPPY EASTER TO ALL!

how much gear oil is there in it? worn mounts will produce powerplant movement, which will stress and wear the gearbox oil seals for the components that leave the box and are 'fixed' to other parts of the car - ie. driveshaft/selector shaft seals.

i'd drain the oil (and note how much comes out - it'll tell you if it's been leaking badly), renew the oil, and go from there.

if it's been low on oil for a while, the whining noises might not be good news unfortunately (dry bearings?).

1.6 16v
I'll go get some oil now and start draining. I'll let you know how much comes out. The strangest thing is the noise goes away when I'm not accelerating.

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how I get on.

There wont be anything to drain ;) I can tell you now it will the passenger side driveshaft that is leaking. Mine is doing the same, Im not paying for the gearbox oil thats going in so Im not bothered about fixing it. I think its the circlip that leaks.

Mine wouldnt go into 1st gear and it clunked into 2nd and 3rd.

1.6 16v
Guys i just drained the oil and put some fresh stuff in there, same problem. There was definately oil in there so that sort of rules out the last post.

I'm still baffled!

Anybody else have more ideas? :dapprove:

RS CLIO 197
not sure on the clio g/box but 4th gear is usually direct drive so if the nosie goes off could be layshaft bearings as 1/2/4 & 5 will drive through the layshaft and hence the increase noise
another possibilty could be diff bearings - any wear or play will cause noise on the over run and or under power as the diff moves in and out of mesh alignment