ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vibra technics gearbox mount doesn't fit?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
So I attempted to change the gearbox mount this morning, with a vibra technics mount.

It seemed large when I received it. But didn't think it'd be an issue and it didn't register that it was different to the picture advertised.

Anyway, it doesn't physically fit. Can anyone confirm I've definitely got the wrong part. The part number was correct on the packaging so not sure what's happened.

IMG_20201212_130312.jpg

IMG_20201212_130258.jpg

IMG_20201212_130304.jpg

Original one next to it for size comparison.

Luckily I had a brand new Febi mount in the garage I could throw in.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Cheers guys for confirming. I know designs can sometimes change, and advert pictures aren't always of the actual item.
Weird that the part number is correct though.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Ordered from eBay last week when they had an offer on. I ordered from the seller with the quickest delivery, as wanted it for this weekend.

I've heard of the company before, and they've got 100% feedback, so figured it was a safe bet. Hopefully they can sort it out quickly without to much hassle.

Wish I'd ordered the Evol mount now, but I know these have been around for years and never heard of any issues before.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Managed to get the correct part, fortunately after a poor response email (basically implying the part sent was correct, even though i sent pictures to prove it was wrong), I got a phone call from the company, and they were very helpful. And because we're both in Nottingham, they had the part driven over to me to swap over the same day.

Unfortunately, fitting the new part turned into a right pig of a job. instead of a 30 minute job, it turned into 2 hours. Instead of the nut unscrewing off the stud, the stud came loose. I then had difficultly getting the nut off, before remembering i had a impact wrench (battery was dead initially, which didn't help matters).

After taking various parts of the get the stud back in place, put the car back together, and forgot to put the washer between the top plate and the final bolt. I ended up leaving it, as the car was fully back together before i realised. Not even sure it'll bolt back up properly with the washer in place either, as the nut only just fully engages the stud.

Two things that surprised me were how much stiff the engine was compared to the new Febi mount i fitted the week before. And given how much stiffer it was there didn't seem to be any difference in vibration in the car.

I'm also running a Powerflex Black insert in the upper engine mount (mount was new last year when this was fitted). plus a powerflex purple insert in the dogbone mount.

I feel like the dogbone mount is definitely the biggest cause for vibration in the car. When I had the Evol dogbone mount fitted to a previous car the added vibration was crazy, I ended up removing it after a week.

So feel like this setup is a very good compromise, of much greater stiffness, with only a little more vibration. I'd be happy to live with it if I was still commuting the car.