ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Broadband Contract

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
We have had my internet for a couple of months the first month was riddled with dropouts sometime for whole days. We gained a discount for the first month though.

Virgin eventually fixed it and it worked perfectly for a few weeks but now we keep getting minor dropouts they are sending an engineer but this will be about the 5th one that we have had.

So what i am wondering is where do we stand contract wise, can we cancel now and just pay what we owe or are we stuck in a contract.

The exact service we have is Virgin 100Mb internet only (no phone or TV).

M140i
My Internet is also through virgin, pants is a word i would use to describe it, and that is the nicest word I could think of!! As for contract u would have to read to t's and c's as they are not providing the service you are paying for.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
We have had it cut out at least 10 times this evening, it is ridiculous, the problem is if we do leave we would have to put up with BT's 8Mb internet between 5 students. Virgin have given us the option to downgrade to 50Mb as it should be more reliable.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Check the power of the signal strength coming in when the engineer turns up. Ours was like that...it would be fine until everyone starting logging on at say 20:00...then would drop off for rest of night, report to Bangalore and engineer would turn up and it was all working fine. Turned out the Signal power was too high....55 IIRC and should be under 52...so when others logged on, it saw we were drawing too much power and proceeded to cut us off the internet...Worth a punt :)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I have just left virgin and gone to plus net. Virgin were a poor provider IMO and I will not be using them again after the cheek they had when I changed properties.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Right this is my current connection status, not sure what any of it means but i know the engineers have to set the values correctly

6300397874_6e8604c472_b.jpg

Connection Status by sbridgey, on Flickr

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
we have just had two engineers round, what they discovered was that someone had yanked our cable out of the box stripping the thread on the connector so it was barely held in causing dropouts.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
we have just had two engineers round, what they discovered was that someone had yanked our cable out of the box stripping the thread on the connector so it was barely held in causing dropouts.

So it was some malicious tw@ then? Although I did chop straight through our cable years ago when I was trying to remove the hedge...had Mand come out of the house saying "Telly's gone off"....smiled, lifted hands (with section of cable in each) and said "This will explain what I've done then! Oops!"

Glad its all sorted for you now then :)

Check the power of the signal strength coming in when the engineer turns up. Ours was like that...it would be fine until everyone starting logging on at say 20:00...then would drop off for rest of night, report to Bangalore and engineer would turn up and it was all working fine. Turned out the Signal power was too high....55 IIRC and should be under 52...so when others logged on, it saw we were drawing too much power and proceeded to cut us off the internet...Worth a punt :)

i had the exact same problem with my 30mb from virgin the blokes replaced something in the green boxes down the street and has been fine ever since

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Well tonight the internet broke again, i was on lap 3 of a F1 league practice race and it died, we went for 2 hours with intermittent internet, i phoned Virgin Media, they started asking me about my SSID and i had to explain changing the SSID would not cause internet dropouts, i went on to say that i was a networking student, he completely changed started asking questions about the voltages discovered everything was fine so he went off, presumably to speak to someone cleverer than himself, still no luck so i decided to hang up. I phoned back hoping for someone else to answer, they did, i got through to someone different i asked for the manager, he said he would speak to the network manager in the morning, or else my account would be credited. So fingers crossed it gets sorted this time.