ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Broadband Customer?

dk

911 GTS Cab
watch out! They are coming to get you!

Virgin Media is planning to take action against subscribers who illegally download copyrighted material.

The provider will work with the British Phonographic Institute and potentially television and movie studios under the scheme which, according to the Sunday Telegraph, will be implemented in coming months.

The BPI will pass details of users it believes are breaking the law to Virgin. They will be sent warnings and, if they continue to download content believed by the BPI to be pirated, disconnected.

A spokesman for Virgin Media said: "We have been in discussions with rights holders organisations about how a voluntary scheme could work.

"We are taking this problem seriously and would favour a sensible voluntary solution."

The scheme is similar to a "three strikes" approach mooted by the Government earlier this year.

Ministers said they would force ISPs to take action with legislation if no voluntary solution was found by April next year.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
watch out! They are coming to get you!

Virgin Media is planning to take action against subscribers who illegally download copyrighted material.

The provider will work with the British Phonographic Institute and potentially television and movie studios under the scheme which, according to the Sunday Telegraph, will be implemented in coming months.

The BPI will pass details of users it believes are breaking the law to Virgin. They will be sent warnings and, if they continue to download content believed by the BPI to be pirated, disconnected.

A spokesman for Virgin Media said: "We have been in discussions with rights holders organisations about how a voluntary scheme could work.

"We are taking this problem seriously and would favour a sensible voluntary solution."

The scheme is similar to a "three strikes" approach mooted by the Government earlier this year.

Ministers said they would force ISPs to take action with legislation if no voluntary solution was found by April next year.

Wheres that from ? Virgins website ?? A link would be good if possible :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cheers :) I always thought virgin was one of those prepared to turn a blind eye . Looks like a new isp is on the cards if thats the case .

Whats the point in 10 , 20mb broadband just to send emails , surf the net etc ..... we might as well all go back to 56k :eek:

They'll never bite the hand that feeds them.

Doesn't BBC iPlayer work off P2P, not sure how they are going to distinguish between illegal/legal.

All ISP's would be affected by this legislation so I wouldn't go moving yet.

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ True , but i've been gettin a bit pIssed off with their traffic management policy over the past couple of months tbh .

Be are looking more and more tempting .

I know what you mean. For me ADSL2 looks good on paper but I still think it's worth riding the storm with the VM Cable platform.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
its only certain files they can track I've heard. Might have been on here someone mentioned getting a letter after illegally downloading The Golden Compass or something.

I am not condoneing illegally downloading files btw... before mr moderator slaps me with another couple of points.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The BPI will pass details of users it believes are breaking the law to Virgin. They will be sent warnings and, if they continue to download content believed by the BPI to be pirated, will be made to walk the plank... arr !

Who needs proof when you can just believe something eh !

D

dick

wicked!!

just came off virgin today!!
every cloud!

that said, im on SSL newsgroups. which i use for news, and not binaries.

sounds like a load of bollox, say goodbye to fast connection subscriptions then, as who in their right mind is going to bother paying for 20mb connections to read Clio Sport? Not only that but by doing this it will force ISP prices down, as no fucker will want/need the faster speeds offered when you can do everything you need at a fraction of the cost... sounds like a load of bullshit to me to be perfectly honest.