ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Media Fibre Optic Broadband - Thoughts?

It's a load of nonsense.
No one can sell bandwidth that cheap.. and not FUP it up (to the point where it's useless having a "high speed" connection)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
pmsl.. 20mbit.. what a load of s**t..

I pre-orderd telewest broadband (now virgin) before they had even released broadband in the area. Started out at 512kb connection (which was their fastest and only speed)

Have been so happy with it, preeched to everyone looking for broadband to get telewest/blueyonder... until virgin tookover.

Now, its the worst pile of crap that has ever existed... ever... Steer clear, go with adsl.. hell, connect a couple 56k modems together and you will get faster and more reliable speeds than most..

I honest can not recommend them.

Yup as above 512k, 1mbit, 4mbit even 10 was good under nthell.

VirginMedia and 20mbit sucks donkey c**k.

The only constellation is that if you moan enough and threaten disconnection you can get credit on your account.
Don't think I've paid the full whack since it's introduction tbh.

Still not the point though.
Would change but it means new landline, number and another bloody router!

172 Cup
Waits for Mr Virgin Media (Andy "Rose tinted Glasses" whatever) to post..

I also think it will only be a matter of time before that "advert" is removed or heavily edited as it's full of inaccuracies/b****cks.

T

thecremeegg

I have Virgin media 20mb, and have had no issues (had it since september). If you download more than 4Gb or something during the day, you are throttled to 6mb from 6pm til 10pm. After that you have another 20hours of full speed.
Mines always at 20mb, the least i've seen is 15 on a saturday.

So, sorry to disappoint the virign haters but I have no issues to report

Nor me. Always rapid and 100% reliable. Just because a few of you have issues with it, doesn't make it a nationwide fact. You're wrong. Get over it ;)

No bandwidth limits, just speed restrictions during peak times. You can still download far more than before in the same time period. If that's what they need to do to keep it reliable and quick then I'm happy, personally. Some people are never happy though :)

Revels Mum & Sister
I can vouch for Roys UBER speeds. Just be thankfull you dont live near me. I get about a 1.5mbit connection TOPS!!! Download NEVER goes above 140Kb

Citroen DS3 DSport
No issues here with the 20mb connection, works perfectly and usually always at full speed.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
Just a quick question on this...

I have been with Virgin over a year and pay £18 a month for 2mb. Is the £20 a month for the 20mb just for new people to Virgin or can it be used for existing customers?.

Clio F1 R27
DSL is a better technology as it's based on a point to point topology rather than a shared access network.

When you hook upto cable you're sharing the local network with everyone else on the segment (your neighbourhood and beyond). The reason why you get these problems is cause the local segment is probably oversubscribed and Joe Bloggs next door is using up all the segments bandwidth with his P2P software!

Get on a decent unbundled ADSL2+ service...

BE Unlimited ADSL2+ 24Mbps unbundled UNLIMITED service with a STATIC IP and wireless router = £24

Virgin and cable technology is shite and always will be.

Monaco 172 2/468
This is history in the making ....

I'm currently getting 1800-2000 KB/s at 5pm :eek: Probably the first time i've seen it over 800KB/s since 10 meg days lol

Anyone else flying thie afternoon :)

172 Cup
DSL is a better technology as it's based on a point to point topology rather than a shared access network.

When you hook upto cable you're sharing the local network with everyone else on the segment (your neighbourhood and beyond). The reason why you get these problems is cause the local segment is probably oversubscribed and Joe Bloggs next door is using up all the segments bandwidth with his P2P software!

Get on a decent unbundled ADSL2+ service...

BE Unlimited ADSL2+ 24Mbps unbundled UNLIMITED service with a STATIC IP and wireless router = £24

Virgin and cable technology is s**te and always will be.

It's £18 not £24.

Leon Cupra R 225
So Virgin a load of tosh then? lol

I was going to go onto Be a while ago, I'm with Orange adsl, 8 meg, runs 7.2ish constantly, never drops, doesn't matter how much I download, but I just want a bit more speed for buffering divx vids :)

Perhaps BE is the best option.

Cheers for all the replies, appreciated.

Leon Cupra R 225
If you can get Be, then definetely 100% get Be, would be my recommendation.

Yeah I can mate, but when I rung them up to ask about exactly what speed I would get, I would only get about what I'm getting now (7meg) connection.

So don't know if it's really worth it tbh.

2014 Focus Titanium
I can't get Be broadband :( I want to change companies but cant go cable or Be or Sky so i don't know who to go with!

What's bulldog like nowadays?

172 Cup
I can't get Be broadband :( I want to change companies but cant go cable or Be or Sky so i don't know who to go with!

What's bulldog like nowadays?

I think they're still keeping their heads down after being owned so many times on Watchdog.

2014 Focus Titanium
Griff, just looking at their site it looks like they've been bought out by tiscali? Strange.

I want decent 8MB broadband for £20 a month! :mad:

Edit: sorry griff im having to edit this post since im not a member :s

I've never heard of Entanet resellers, what's that all about?

Last edited:
  172 Cup
They're owned by Pipex mate so ultimately Tiscali but the equipment is still owned by Cable and Wireless.

Edit - Tried one of the Entanet resellers? Granted it's still a BTWholesale product but if you can't get LLU (Bulldog aside) you don't have much choice :(

I cant recommend Virgin either... it's fine at my parents, but I'm in a high user count zone and it's just worthless... I'm meant to be on 2mb, but the most I see during hours I'm awake and not in work is around 200-300kbs, not even half a meg. I've complained countless times and it's been upgraded to 20mb and it's exactly the same, only my uploads are ridiculously quick and the only time I see anything like the advertised 20mb is when I'm asleep downloading stuff, where I've had over 2000k a second... shame I dont get that when I want to actually do something other than download in my sleep... I'd not touch Virgin again based on this s**t service and haven't paid for my broadband since getting it.