ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Volvo P1800 - Restoration Project

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
My old man loves these cars, probably from watching Roger Moore potter around in one when he was a lad.

Anyway, he was browsing Ebay and rushed round to my house a couple of weeks back and asked if I could bid on a car for him. The auction had 17 seconds to run by the time I'd logged in, luckily enough his highest bid was the highest bid - and he won it.

The car has had 2 owners from new - 55k on the clock, with all the history and paperwork. The owner who was selling it, parked it up in a neighbours garage 22 years ago. It had a bit of rust that he wanted to sort, but was busy with work and family so accosted a neighbour who kindly let him store it. There it stood for over 2 decades and was forgotten about. One night the wind blew the garage door off and thus he thought its about time it went, giving the neighbour his garage back - Lol.

The car is currently stripped and there is no chance of my daughter seeing her granddad until its done - some time in the summer he reckons.

Here are the pics from the advert - check out the dials, pretty funky for 1967.

volvo1.jpgvolvo2.jpgvolvo3.jpgvolvo4.jpg

Arctic Blue FF 182
I love a good restoration project! Keep us up to date with the progress with pictures! Best of luck!

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Will do.

Phone's just rang "can you come and help me push it back in the garage?"

I'm in my PJ's FFS. I hope its not going to be like this until the summer.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Slight update.

Went round for sunday lunch at mums to find the old boy just finishing up a few hours work on the Volvo.

Not the most powerful lump in the world. The 1800 is an pushrodder and it'll be lucky to output 90hp nowadays. The engine turns, but he hasn't fired it up yet as he's waiting for the keys and new barrel.

Not much interior left now...

The seat bases made me chuckle. They're sprung with elasticated canvas.

When the interior was complete, I was quietly impressed with some of the minor details on this car (from 1967). The emboss'ing of the Volvo brand is pictured here on the door cards, as well as on the rear bench. I thought it was a nice touch anyway.

No doors on her now though

Classic wheel and dials in suprisingly good condition.

Another view

Original radio! Note: NO FM. So DAB is out of the question.

The previous owner didn't smoke, so these 'tabs' are from the first owner - They're over 27 years old. Not sure why I found that a little strange, the guy is long since dead who toked on these.

check out the light switch! The Lucas panel is obviously aftermarket, but probably still factory fitted - we believe, although not confirmed, that Jensen (of Jensen Interceptors) built this car. As Volvo are Swedish, the law didn't dictate fog lamps in Sweden, but it was mandatory in the UK, so the lone fog lamp on the front was 'stuck' on, with this cluster being a seperately switched light.

That'll probably be it, for quite a while. The hard stuff comes now, with attempting to turn the engine, before removing it and the box. Complete bodywork prep (some grinding needed) and new sills. It sure isn't gonna get pretty anytime soon. But it keeps my old man out of the pub :smile:

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Leave some new oil down the bores for a bit before you try and start it up :) Looks like a good project!

Not my cup of tea, but its quite interesting to watch it transform.

Your old man didn't waste any time did he?
He's getting right stuck into that, good to see it moving along. :approve:

No mate! he gets all giddy about it. Bless, at 52 years old he's like a little kid.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
My old man has been working weekends on the Volvo and its getting there.
The engine was running about 6 weeks ago, which was great. It was missing but it'll probably be nothing.
Then came the strip down, with the engine coming out.

IMG_1171.jpg

He then had some sheet metal made in the correct thinkness and measurements to replace the rot. Once they arrived it was out with the grinder and welder!

IMG_1375.jpg

One side finished.

IMG_1384.jpg

Just the other side to do now! which isn't as bad, luckily.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Cracking on nicely with this now then! Has he got a deadline he is working to or is it very much when its done its done?

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Cracking on nicely with this now then! Has he got a deadline he is working to or is it very much when its done its done?

He's said by the end of summer - but we're thinking it'll be 'nearly' done by then and probably useable next summer!

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Not sure if you can the see the picture below, but the car was finished earlier this month. Passed its MOT first time.

IMG_20140809_170254.jpg

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
He's put some graft in. I'll try and upload a few more - bloody picasa is now photos... I don't get it.