ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VTS - Rallycross Project Build

Me and friend had be talking about this for a while so we started to read up on the regs etc etc. We then started to keep a look out for a decent VTS.

This popped up local to my mate, 10months MOT & 4 months Tax. 97,000miles decent history so we snapped it up for £400.

8199601684_ea60362175_z.jpg

VTS Purchase day by , on Flickr

8198516127_15f700af00_z.jpg

VTS purchase day by , on Flickr

8198515661_c4664e771b_z.jpg

VTS purchase day by , on Flickr

It isnt perfect but for what we need it for it was a great buy so my mate drove it upto to my house and we started the stripping the next day. We didnt take to many pictures as we were hard at work.

8199610178_dbe8de4267_z.jpg

VTS Day 1 by , on Flickr

Little break to have a brew and check out the race regs.

8198521975_e9b7ca6bef_z.jpg

Brew time by , on Flickr

8199609172_f33f7b42ff_z.jpg

VTS day 1 by , on Flickr

We then put the drivers seat in so we could get it in and out the garage easily.

Day 2 and we then moved onto the getting the dash out and having a look at the loom which stuff is needed and what stuff can be stripped out and re routed. The dash proved to be a bit of pain at times due to us both being slightly hungover but in the end it came out.

8198521311_1e38f58a2e_z.jpg

VTS day 2 by , on Flickr

8199610906_ac1cd28c04_z.jpg

VTS Day 2 by , on Flickr

Steering wheel on so i could put in the garage ready for it to come out at a later date. So far we have made some pretty good progress next up is to look at the brake servo which is passing water into the car so just a case of sealing it up. Wiring loom is the next big job as the lights, heaters etc are not needed so we can rip them out tidy the loom upabit and re route it so its out the way.

Things will slow down a little now with it being dark when we get home but im looking at setting up a lighting rig to give a few extra hours in the week as we are limit to weekends at the minute.

Short but sweet.

Yeah slightly inspired by topgear but as cheap form of motorsport and spilting the costs between 2 people it doesnt work out that bad. The events start march 2013 so that is our deadline and we have alot of stuff to do yet.

Im sure alot of guys on here will be helpful if stall a little. We are looking at cages now aswell so hopefull before xmas we can have that all welded in.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Just keep an eye on Sax-p for cheap parts.
When I had my Saxo I picked up some bits for peanuts!

Yeah im just about to join upto Sax-p now see what parts i can get hold of.

heards good things about 106owners aswell so will have a look over on there.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'd love to do something like this. Good work Jay!

Disastra Coupe
I'll warn you now, you'll need to be a member for 30 days and have about 100 posts before you'll be able to view the For Sale section on SaxP. It annoys a lot of new members but it does help stopping the idiots.

Nice start though. Pretty much an ideal car imo. Cheap to maintain, cheap for parts and lots of stuff available for them!

Cheers guys.

I have just paid to join upto sax-p save waiting round, I've got a thread going on there aswell.

Small progress will be made at the weekend as its just me on Sunday.

Just been speaking to a guy over on saxp who has run stickhatch cars before looks like a bigger job than we first thought.

Fuel tanks needs removing and one needs to be made to fit under the bonnet around 5L or so. Plus a lot of other stuff we didnt expect but some or it is easy, famous last words.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Didn't think a VTS would stand up to a rallycross event, you know, being made from cheese and all... :p (only joking :))

I would say 2 is better.

The logistics is where we would have issues.

That and the fact I've got enough of a project on my hands as it is! LOL!

2 is definitely better we thought about getting another member but decided against it.

I'm not 100% on how many races in a season yet but I think it's 6 between 2 people that isn't a problem but between 3 racing every 1/3 races wouldn't be fun.

Cost wise around 2k including the car to get it ready.
Race days depending how far away e.g knockhill(Scotland) around £300ish for a weekend includes accommodation, food, fuel, trailer hire and most important alcohol.
Race licence around £130 for the season.

I will try my best to keep on top of costs, infact I will start now.

Total cost to date(per person)

Car - £200
Joining saxp - £10

£210

So today I was working on the car on my own and I decided to tackle the heater matrix inside the car as this needs to be removed.

8216871481_116147b76b_z.jpg

Untitled by JayS_182, on Flickr

8217780092_5064d01da5_z.jpg

This turned out to be a lot tricky than I first thought. I needed to remove the heater and join the pipes in the engine bay, to get to these pipes though I needed to remove a few things. I started by removing the air intake and associated pipes, this didn't give the room I needed so moved onto the inlet manifold which is very tight and awkward. It was proving difficult so I moved onto the lights, bumper and getting rid of the deading from behind the dash, have a cuppa and a little break.

8217970170_41caea3c13_z.jpg

bumper and lights out by JayS_182, on Flickr

I then went back to the manifold, the tea must of worked and I soon had it off...

8216917605_8d846a5961_z.jpg

i then removed the injectors and fuel rail and zip tied them out the way and removed the inlet itself.

8218001790_4ea096ccf4_z.jpg

inlet removed by JayS_182, on Flickr

10 minutes later and the heater was out.

8218023130_559fdbe7f6_z.jpg

heater matrix out by JayS_182, on Flickr

you can see the hole in the bulkhead where the pipes came through from the cooling/heating system. This left me with the 2 pipes in the bay to join, I bought some copper pipe to use as a joint and then jubilee clip them together but my pipe was the wrong diameter. So I temporarily joined them as the engine won't/can't be turned over until I put the inlet etc back.

8217006311_d8524f9439_z.jpg

once I had joined the pipes I went onto filling the hole left by removing the heater. The big rubber grommet was where the pipes came through so I just used silicone to hung up the holes.

8217088295_80dcecab54_z.jpg

sealed up by JayS_182, on Flickr

Light was fading so I tidied up everything and my OCD came into play.

8218094154_92b4002e71_z.jpg

ocd by JayS_182, on Flickr

8218162700_2771606771_z.jpg

tucked up by JayS_182, on Flickr

Tucked up and ready to go back into the garage for another day. Had a pretty good day found a few things along the way which need fixing our engine mount only has one bolt holding it down, a small breather pipe from the rocker cover to the throttle body was all corroded so that needs replacing. Our throttle body also needs a clean so I will do in the week some time seeing as its off at the minute.

So next time we work on the car will properly be to remove the PAS pump and associated pipe work. We have a slight oil leak aswell so we may end up putting a new head gasket and rocker cover gasket on it. Anyway that's me done for the time being.

Last edited:
No the best update this week but...

So this weekend we got rid of the power steering, sorted the heating system out and bought a new exhaust to put on.

Saturday feeling like death after a night out and the PAS system and pipework was out.
8238977894_86e0873c4d_z.jpg

IMAG0515 by JayS_182, on Flickr

We then plugged the holes left in the rack, a quick trip to Halfords and 2 cheap sump plugs later we discovered the holes are both different size threads. We got one in though:-

8234827523_51ff956edc_z.jpg

IMAG0516 by JayS_182, on Flickr

Another trip to Halfords and a sump plug later it was all sorted.

We also sorted the temp fix I did on deleting the heating system and joined the pipes properly, small piece of 20mm cooling hose and it was all fixed

8237926519_5dd970b986_z.jpg

IMAG0520 by JayS_182, on Flickr

We picked up a cheap Powerflow exhaust with a decat for a whole £20 awesome. We cleaned it up and sprayed it black to prolong its life a little. Tim finally got his hands dirty :p

8237932509_c3b70dc458_z.jpg

IMAG0522 by JayS_182, on Flickr

8239022346_572d087f54_z.jpg

IMAG0526 by JayS_182, on Flickr

8239136060_710523db27_z.jpg

IMAG0528 by JayS_182, on Flickr

We covered the stainless sections up and I will give a proper clean with some autosol and wirewool. We removed the old system which looked like it had been replaced within the last 12months or so as it was in good nick. So should easily get our £20 back from it.

Next job is to get a new cat to manifold gasket and fit the decat and rest of the new system.

Rallycross is great fun, you'll have a good laugh. Vid from a VTS you'll probably be up against...

[video=facebook;4026448753475]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4026448753475[/video]

I know a few people on here have had these before, seeing as these like breathing mods which induction set up would you recommend for racing?

Would a home made ktec style be good on one of these with the battery relocated and the cold air feed coming from the passenger headlight as we dont need our headlights?

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
I know a few people on here have had these before, seeing as these like breathing mods which induction set up would you recommend for racing?

Would a home made ktec style be good on one of these with the battery relocated and the cold air feed coming from the passenger headlight as we dont need our headlights?

My saxo loved the BMC with a cold air feed, sounded ace too ;)

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
if your going to be going without a headlight make your own, the filter in these are tiny get a silicone hose for off the throttle bodie and some straight tube with a filter on the end behind the passenger light.

Saturday and me and Tim fitted our exhaust, we were waiting on a new cat to manifold gasket so once this had arrived we could get cracking. It didn't take us long at all to put the decat and rest of the system on. For £20 it was a good buy and a good clean up autosol seen it shine up lovely.

8258418968_8cf5d721f2_z.jpg

IMAG0561 by JayS_182, on Flickr

8257381695_ef88e84ebe_z.jpg

IMAG0563 by JayS_182, on Flickr

We didn't do much Saturday as we both hungover so we finished after we fitted that. Sunday and I thought I would put the manifold, fuel rail, injectors, throttle body, air intake all back on.

I gave the throttle body a good clean first as it was abit oily.

8258457100_5f3be6f0e3_z.jpg

IMAG0564 by JayS_182, on Flickr

Zip tied open so I get to it all.
8257395023_f7f062a973_z.jpg

IMAG0565 by JayS_182, on Flickr

Some part cleaner, scouring pad and a couple of rags later.
8258473350_a500bc9a3e_z.jpg

IMAG0567 by JayS_182, on Flickr

8257415913_1410a11dd2_z.jpg

IMAG0569 by JayS_182, on Flickr

I then set up the lights ready to work in the bay.
8257429733_7efbd3b7a9_z.jpg

IMAG0571 by JayS_182, on Flickr

Some time later it was all back on
8258505144_8c94b349c6_z.jpg

IMAG0572 by JayS_182, on Flickr

However I encountered a problem, I turned the ignition on to get the fuel flowing again to hear some of it piss all over the garage floor. I quickly turned it off. I then had to remove some of the work I had just done to find the cause.

I realised injector 2 wasn't in properly as I tried to remove it I snapped the electrical connection arghh. So I called it a day and put it all away, I'm gutted as I wanted to hear our new exhaust but oh well lesson learned. So next weekend will be putting in a new injector :)

Not much we can do now untill we get parts, today seen us get a OMP bucket seat with mounting frame and side mounts:-

Cat wasnt free I already had her :)
8277353581_2ba67e0361_z.jpg

8278414566_84eabd8a30_z.jpg

Brand new never been used all for £84.89. Got to love Ebay, all we need is to hire a welder for the day to get it fitted.

Seat is FIA Approved and in date until 2016 so plenty of life left in it. Hopefully next week we will be getting a lot of parts so we will be very busy soon. Although christmas will slow it down slightly

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
This looks sweet guys, I thought about rally cross but I have decided to sprint mine next year then do some tarmac rallies in 2014.

Any reason you decided to remove the PAS?

Are you welding the above bars in to mount the seats to? I have the sparco frames in mine and find they put the seat a little to high for my liking.

With regards to the induction setups I am now running the simota one in mine and it seems to do the job.

We thought the PAS had to be removed looking at the regs though it doesn't mention it, see how we get on it may end up going back in at some point. Although non PAS is supposed to better for racing so wait and see.

The car has to be below 900kg but I'm sure we will easily make that got our eye on a nice OMP cage as well which ends this week.

Yeah I was going to weld in the frame then mount the seat to the top, so you think it would be better just on the side mounts? Will have to double check the regs see if says anything mounting te seat. We are looking for a cheap out of date seat as well we can put in for trackdays.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I am watching one at the minute which ends in 5 days, might have a bidding war on our hands lol!

I am watching one at the minute which ends in 5 days, might have a bidding war on our hands lol!

Haha will be the same one not many on ebay at the min.

We have misssed out on 2 cages already which both went for a bargain. there is one on ebay at the minute which is at £310 but we want to be spending less than that ideally.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice little project you've got going.

I've always wanted to do somit like this but my mates either are not into cars or are skint. :(

We have some parts so got a lot to do after the new year:-

Upper & low strutbraces both OMP
8326233490_128c2e1af5_z.jpg

OMP braces by JayS_182, on Flickr

The Citroen dealer over on Saxp did me a good deal on this lot
8325179449_bd0a7b8a7a_z.jpg

Service parts by JayS_182, on Flickr

Slightly thicker head gasket as we going to skim our head by 0.2mm. New head bolts, Cambelt kit, exhaust mani gasket, rocker cover sealant, oil filter & new coolant. The other parts like oil, inlet deals and the aux belt are cheaper elsewhere so will be getting them soon.

New injectors to fix my little mistake
8325182485_66d982fed6_z.jpg

Injectors by JayS_182, on Flickr

Not much happening due to the time of year but we will be very busy soon got a lot to do. We missed the cage on eBay I completely forgot about it there will more though. Decided it will be best to weld out seat in when we do the cage only need one hire on the welder then.