ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wanting to get in to photography.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Hi guys - pretty much a complete novice with photography but would like to "start" learning it.

Would need to buy a SLR camera and have been recommended the budget Nikon L810.

Any one have experience with one of these? Pros/Cons?

Cheers.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I suppose the biggest con of that camera is that it’s not an SLR, it’s a bridge camera, meaning that it’s the bridge between a compact and a DSLR, so the lens isn’t removable. I’d look at say a lower end Nikon/Canon such as the Nikon D3200 or the Canon 600D.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I suppose it all depends on your budget.

The 600D mentioned above would be an idea first camera. Start with a kit lens (18-55) and then if you get in to it, buy some more suited lenses to your preferred photography.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
As a rank beginner too I'd heartily recommend the second hand route. I have a d40, 18-70 lens, 35mm lens and filter and a camera bag for the grand total of about £340. Much better than buying it all brand new and I'm getting an idea of what I want to get/upgrade.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Agree with djw, 3-400£ gets you an excellent second hand dslr.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Canon 1100D?

My missus was in the same boat as you about 6 months ago. She loves it and has really developed with it now.

I dont know much about them but I think its a fairly easy camera to progress with as you get IS & Auto - Focussing stuff when you start but as you progress can stop flying on 'auto-pilot' and take over controlling it yourself.

​They are well within budget brand new.

As a rank beginner too I'd heartily recommend the second hand route. I have a d40, 18-70 lens, 35mm lens and filter and a camera bag for the grand total of about £340. Much better than buying it all brand new and I'm getting an idea of what I want to get/upgrade.
Yeah, good advice. I wish I'd done this.

I'd also say a Canon 500/550/600D would be a good starter camera.

Agree with others so far.
My first DSLR was a 550D with kit lens.
There is so much to learn and you can take great shots with just the kit lens, just practice and learn.
I've upgraded lenses slowly over the last 2-3 years since buying the camera and I still like it a lot.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Hey guys, thanks for all the info.

Giraffe, I'm not in London at the minute, living in Windsor for a short while.