ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warmed up

Any 172 owners shed some light on what defines warmed up for the 172?!!

Just took mine out for a little ride and I thought Id warmed it up before taking it for a bypass blast and I caught the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd at what appeared to be about 6700rpm - thats not even in the red area!

I know it lowers the rev limiter when the car isnt warm enough, but I really thought Id warmed it up enough. Id driven for about 10 minutes and the temp gauge was reading the normal half way.

Bit concerned now that Im not warming it up enough before caning it :confused:

mies usually warm in the first 3 mins......i dont usually worry about warmup....as long as pressure is up, im off!

Well, I dont worry about it as much as I did in a turbo, but I still try not to hit the red line after pulling out of my road :D

Im just puzzled as to why the rev limiter was so low

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

I go to 80 degrees on my oil temp gauge before ragging my Williams. Takes bloody ages though. About 20 mins, and stay below 3000rpm before 80 degrees.

wha!!!!!

thats overly causious!

Mine take about 3 mins to get to the middle of the gauge, but i do put it under full throttle in higer gears. And i never really try to go right to the limiter!!! lol

I think the gauges on teh MK1 clios are quite slow in regestering temp.....or do they really heat that slowly!!!??

I never stick my foot down untill its warmed up. Temp, Oil and pressure gauge at running temp then no problem. Oil temp around 80-90 thenall is well. Does take awhile though and sounds tappity when its cold.

the older clios like valver and willy take ages to heat up properely but on the 172 even if the coolant temp is up the engine and oil can take ages to warm up sufficiently to raise the limiter to max rpm

wongy

OK.....thanks for that. Ill be a bit more careful. I just assumed (wrongly!) that if the coolant is up to operating temp then the car is ready!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Yeah, my 16v phase 2 sounds tappety for first 5 mins but beatifull there after, never take it to top revs till oil gauge is off bottom and oil pressure is down to normal (means internal engine moving parts are warm and ready to rock n roll).

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

yeah the coolant level being warm is no indication of the oil being ready, coolant warms up really quickly.

Laguna 2, Westfield

The water gauges on the dash are shat, oil takes at least 10 miles to reach 80 degrees - optimum protection temp, depends on the sort of driving and weather outside.

If you drive down a dual carriage way it takes much longer to warm up as you have air flowing in the front, so about 15 miles.

When the weather is below freezing, i can get to work, about 16 miles and it still isnt on 80 degrees, so 2000 revs all the way for me:D

CTR EK9 turbo

i know what you mean about ragging it when its cold. I had to do this the other when i came across that ctr! i was apologising to my car tho....

Usually dont go over 4k when its cold (like the M5s) and when the guage is at normal it gets booted, but usually cuts in at 6800 rpm for ages, pain in the ass - especially when ur expecting 7200!

Mine takes 15 - 20 mins before rev limiter is in the red. I Stay below 4rpm for about 5 mins, then drive reasonably hard (upto 6k rpm), then 15 mins go hell for leather its either warm by then or almost.

My 16v takes for ever to even register the tiniest bit of oil temperature on the gauge. I stay below 3,000rpm until it gets to about 80degC, which takes at least 20 minutes unless I start near a fast road. The temperature never seems to rise until I get to over 40-50mph.

Ok I know we are supposed to keep it easy until cars get warmed up, but why? Is it to prevent engine wear or what? I know my car seems to eat more fuel if you acclerate to hard when its cold. But sometimes you have to to get past my imense flat spot.

Paul

Laguna 2, Westfield

The engine oil protects the engine from wear, its optimal protection temp is around 80 degrees C, so any ragging before this and the wear on the metal components in the engine accelerate, meaning it will become knackered sooner....

Audi S3

Im like all other 16v owners (or most) wait till the oil temp is up to about 80 degrees!

but i always seem to come accross them rare things round here when on warm up a Vts which is a pain in the ass!

Matt

I just look at my oil pressure dial... when it reads nearly 0 bar at idle the oil is nice and thin....

Normally takes 10-15 mins.

Lou is right, the water temp gage only takes a couple of minutes to shoot up in normal weather (non winter) but I think the oil cooler in the valervers and willies prevents the oil warming up very quick. Can take between 10 and 20 minutes of driving, longer if stationary.

Ive noticed the 172 doesnt have oil temp gauges, this not good. I guess the auto limiter adjustment is cheaper for reno to knock out, but surely finding out your car isnt warm enough at over 6k is not the answer.

Quote: Originally posted by Jonny Disco on 11 March 2003

but surely finding out your car isnt warm enough at over 6k is not the answer.

My point exactly - its a bit late once you are in that rev range - damage is done!

I keep it under 3K till oil temp is over 60, then gradually start to put my foot down, always keeping on eye on the oil pressure gauge (most useful gauge there is)