ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Washer jet motor? Easy fit?

My washer jet motor has died a death... and car is due an MOT :( so need it done... is it an easy swap about? or a pain in the a**e?

Any recommendations on places to get one from?

Thanks Dan :)

DMS

A thirsty 172
It's a pain in the arse. Once you've done it you'll never want to do it again.
You should be able to get one from any decent motor factors, but none round my way sold them so I had to order a second hand one from Steve79 off here.

TrackCar & F30 330d
You have to revove the wiper blade arms first so you can get the black skuttle pannle off. But when i went to remove my motor i couldnt get the arms off as they were rusty so i had to leave it.

Any advice on how to get them off?

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
wiper off

scuttle panal off

Wiper mechanism off

washer bottle out

fit motor and reassemble

Golf GTD Mk7
the blades are a pain. Gave up in the end with mine. Must be a better way to remove them other than pull and hope :(

DMS

A thirsty 172
wiper off

scuttle panal off

Wiper mechanism off

washer bottle out

fit motor and reassemble

How do you actually get the washer bottle out? I was thinking you'd have to take the whole wiper mechanism apart to do it, and didn't want to risk breaking anything else due to having the MOT later on that day.
My washer jet bottle is still leaking now even after I fixed it, so I'd like to take the bottle out and do it properly.

the blades are a pain. Gave up in the end with mine. Must be a better way to remove them other than pull and hope :(

You can get the wipers off by hand, but I found it much easier to buy a proper wiper pulling too. If anyone local needs to borrow it they're more than welcome :)

340i
You can do it *just* without removing the wiper mech... but its far easier removing the washer bottle because there is to rubber washers you need to put in place

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yeah, the rubber washers are the bits I struggled with.
One of them has now gone inside the washer bottle (luckily I had a spare) and the other two aren't quite sat right so they leak.
So I presume you have to disassemble the wiper mechanism to get the bottle out? Is it fairly easy to put back together again?

DMS

A thirsty 172
I took the wiper arm off, I meant the mechanism underneath (all the metal rods that move about to make the wipers work).

RB FF 182
Don't know if this has been posted, but I'm at work so it's a quick post!! I had problems removing my wiper arms and gave up twice before paying a visit to the local halfords (I know, they're crap...)

I spotted one of these: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_173425_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

And I thought for the sake of a tenner I'd get it as it looks very similar to a wiper arm remover! After totting up about 3 hours trying to get my wiper arms off, this got them off in 2 minutes!!

Just put the arms underneath the wiper arm, and gently screw the bolt down. Lifted them right off with no damage! Obviously it's your choice as the tool isn't designed for this task, and "I take no responsibility if you knacker your wipers up!" :approve:

DMS

A thirsty 172
My proper wiper arm removal tool only cost about £16 from Sutton Auto Factors, but I'd imagine one of those ball joint seperators would do the job nicely.

RB FF 182
My proper wiper arm removal tool only cost about £16 from Sutton Auto Factors, but I'd imagine one of those ball joint seperators would do the job nicely.

I rang everywhere I could think of in my town to get a wiper arm remover, and 9/10 responses were "you don't need a tool to remove the wiper blades..." :S

The one place that could actually order one, and actually listened to what I asked, wanted £29.99!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mine was a pain in the ass to change !!! getting the wipers off is only the start of the problems !!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i had to buy a wiper puller to get them off, even that struggled. Also be careful not to damage the windscreen whilst your at it.

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
How do you actually get the washer bottle out? I was thinking you'd have to take the whole wiper mechanism apart to do it, and didn't want to risk breaking anything else due to having the MOT later on that day.
My washer jet bottle is still leaking now even after I fixed it, so I'd like to take the bottle out and do it properly.

You can get the wipers off by hand, but I found it much easier to buy a proper wiper pulling too. If anyone local needs to borrow it they're more than welcome :)

the washer bottle has one screw holding it in and a ball and socket type joint that it just pulls out off

Well my motor is on the way... I'm going to have shedloads of fun trying this job... lol thanks for all the info though everyone :D

Not sure on the set up on the 172s and 182s but mine was fairly easy. Hardest bit was getting the wipers off, bought a ball joint splitter and they came off pretty easily with that.

Dunno what you moaning lot are on about.. women! ;)

Just took me 20 mins... no pulley tool... just a bit of welly and some wd40. didnt even take the washer bottle out.

Thanks for the help with how to do it though! :D!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I have to say that every time I had encountered problems with these motors I managed to fix them and save some cash. (if someone interested in my methods PM me)
as for the wiper arms removal I use an adjustable wrench which I open and slot it under the arm, with the wrench being around the pin.
then a tap with the hammer on top of the pin (nut being unscrewed of course)careful not to damage the thread and voila! arm off. works in seconds EVERY time