ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Washing yer car...

Mercedes C200,Clio R.I.P.

right ive noticed on here you all posting pictures of yourcars just after cleaning it. the all look shiny and nice BUT, whenever i clean my car it ALWAYS looks dirrty, HOW THE HELL DO YOU ALL CLEAN YOUR CARS??

is there a secret society that you learn how to make them soooooo clean?

Punto/Clio GTT

they spend all day doin it, they spend hundreds on car care products, cant see the point myself, only gets dirty again once you take it out

Mazda MX5 1.8

mine looks nice after cleaning

rince it down with hose pipe -> bucket+sponge with car shampoo (autoglym - pretty cheap) -> let dry -> wax with turtle wax (the coloured stuff) or original turtle wax (cheap)

job done

Mercedes C200,Clio R.I.P.

Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 30 January 2005
they spend all day doin it, they spend hundreds on car care products, cant see the point myself, only gets dirty again once you take it out

yeah thats what i think too but still need to know how they do it.

RB 182

Quote: Originally posted by clio__chris on 30 January 2005

mine looks nice after cleaning

rince it down with hose pipe -> bucket+sponge with car shampoo (autoglym - pretty cheap) -> let dry -> wax with turtle wax (the coloured stuff) or original turtle wax (cheap)

job done
Dont you dry it off with a leather or one of those flexiblade things to get rid of the excess?

Just drive it????

Cleaned mine for the first time literally in months the other weekend. Less than 24 hours later was filthy again.

you need to wash your car, you then prepare your paint with a clay bar and a , then you glaze /seal the paint, then you wax it, then whenever you wash your car it comes up like new, takes a while the first time but gets easier after time, i think there will be a how to guide coming soon to cliosport.pics of mine after such a treatment[]

[Edited by James on 1/30/2005 6:53:58 PM]

but after doing all that once i can just shampoo the car and it comes up all nice again, then occasionally wax it and hey presto

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

If im doing a quick wash I rinse it down then use Halfords shampoo (best out of all the ones ive tried!), strat at the top and work way down, rinse it down and use a flexi thing just on the windows. Then I do the wheels, tbh if the wheels are very clean whole car looks cleaner, same as if theyre dirty, the whole car looks minging!

[Edited by EvilJohn on 30 January 2005 at 5:57pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Doyle on 30 January 2005

damn thats shiny mate!

wtf is a clay bar?
its basically a bar of clay that you rub over freshly shampood bodywork, this removes crap like tar and all really hard to remove bits, this leaves your paint like glass

you wash your car with a good shampoo, you then get the clay bar and you spray you panel with a lube (supplied with the bar, or you can use a car shampoo mixed with water in a bottle), you then rub the clay over the paint, keeping it well lubed, you can then feel how smooth the paint is, oh and nless you do something really daft you wont scratch your paint

Agreed about the wheels, I often clean JUST the wheels and dont bother with the paintwork. I find that a gleaming set of wheels often makes the whole car look clean, and a bit of road grime on the paint doesnt matter so much.

I use Turtle wax Extreme Tyre Gel too. Makes the rubber look MINT :D

I have just finished with the great help of 182blue and R-jay-cup a compelte clio cleaning guide, though as yet no pictures are included. I will probably just post up the text version and may add pictures at a later point. Just awaiting confirmation from the site owners on which forum to post it in. If anybody wants it in advance as a pm then pm me!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 30 January 2005

It does take a while to get it looking good initially but then once prepped and waxed it makes regular washing so much faster!!!

when i pick up a brand new car i take it straight home and clean it properly, and get off the swirl marks that the valleters put on it from new

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 30 January 2005
I have just finished with the great help of 182blue and R-jay-cup a compelte clio cleaning guide, though as yet no pictures are included.  I will probably just post up the text version and may add pictures at a later point.  Just awaiting confirmation from the site owners on which forum to post it in.  If anybody wants it in advance as a pm then pm me!!!!

Do you still need to wax/sealant bit as its still work in progress.

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by James on 30 January 2005
Quote: prepare your paint with a clay bar
Is this wise on a new car?

Its is advisable on any new car as it will remove any attached contamination from the delivery process that the dealers polish wont have removed. As far as I know Renaults are not delivered on covered Trailers are they?

Vee dub

Yeah i spend a good 1hr 30/2 hours on mine.

Clean wheels/tyres

Wash/rinse off all surface dirt and grime.

Shampoo and use wash mitt to clean paintwork

Chamois and then occasionally wax the car next day.

Do it, its well worth the time and effort.

(i used a claybar once but found it a bit of a pain)

Meguiars between waxes spray is great too

[Edited by TomS on 30 January 2005 at 7:03pm]

Volvo S60 T5

Loads of chemicals on mine, keeps it lovely, spend all of 30 mins to keep it clean.

once every few months I might spend 2 hours on it.

Quote: Originally posted by r-jay-cup on 30 January 2005

I have just finished with the great help of 182blue and R-jay-cup a compelte clio cleaning guide, though as yet no pictures are included. I will probably just post up the text version and may add pictures at a later point. Just awaiting confirmation from the site owners on which forum to post it in. If anybody wants it in advance as a pm then pm me!!!!

Do you still need to wax/sealant bit as its still work in progress.
I had acrack myself as I just wanted to get the guide out Im sure your bit will be better thna mine so I can always add at a later date?

Shhh

How does the polish affect the plastic skirts.?

Can it be used in direct sunlight.? How does it affect glass, windows, rubber etc.?

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by r-jay-cup on 30 January 2005Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 30 January 2005 I have just finished with the great help of 182blue and R-jay-cup a compelte clio cleaning guide, though as yet no pictures are included.  I will probably just post up the text version and may add pictures at a later point.  Just awaiting confirmation from the site owners on which forum to post it in.  If anybody wants it in advance as a pm then pm me!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Do you still need to wax/sealant bit as its still work in progress.[/QUOTE]I had  acrack myself as I just wanted to get the guide out Im sure your bit will be better thna mine so I can always add at a later date?

No probs, im sure you have done a top job. If you want me to have a read off it drop us a mail.

lol!ive always wondered how u lot get ur cars so shiny too!i love my clio but dnt have the patience to spend hours cleaning it spesh on a cold day!did mine today!

I use tesco car shampoo with bucket and sponge then rinse off usually let it dry but been going over and getting the wet off with one of those funny cloths but when i got bk in my car to move it i could see loads of watery type marks!i was annoyed! So does wax make it really shine? thing is i have to go down horrible back roads to work and get all the yucky mud my cars filthy after a day or so! Another thing is when i cleaned it , i noticed alot of black marks like stone chips but think they were it was like tarmac that had stuck to my car!!!only tiny bits tho, they wouldnt come off with sponge had to scrape off with finger but there was quite a few and take ages!is there some cleaning product that would get this off?!

[Edited by beclovesclios on 30 January 2005 at 8:36pm]