ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Washing yer car...

i use loads of stuff first clean the alloys with halford alloy wheel wash and tooth brush, then do under arches with hose and sponge and some wash, then with a different sponge do the underside of the car and round the frount and back using turtle wax wash, then do the car with a new sponge and autoglym body wash, hosing the car down betwenn each task, then dry with flexiblade and leather, the do windows with autoglym glass polish body with autoglym resin polish, tyre shine and all that, then start the inside, its has taken me over 4 hours sometime especilly in winter but i do it ever week cant stand a dirty car, looks mint when done

Quote: Originally posted by Davehughes on 30 January 2005

i use loads of stuff first clean the alloys with halford alloy wheel wash and tooth brush, then do under arches with hose and sponge and some wash, then with a different sponge do the underside of the car and round the frount and back using turtle wax wash, then do the car with a new sponge and autoglym body wash, hosing the car down betwenn each task, then dry with flexiblade and leather, the do windows with autoglym glass polish body with autoglym resin polish, tyre shine and all that, then start the inside, its has taken me over 4 hours sometime especilly in winter but i do it ever week cant stand a dirty car, looks mint when done

dont use a sponge, use a wool mit

you get tiny swirl marks and possibly scratch damage, because sponges trap the grit between the sponge and the paint, and wool mits take any grit up into the fibres protecting the paint, they are far far better

This is my current routine. Which i will be doing tomorrow.

1. Hose down the car with fresh water to remove any debris. (5 mins)
2. Wash with Maguiars NXT Car Wash, using a wash mitt. (15 mins)
3. Use the reverse of my wash mitt to remove any bugs, tar etc (15 mins)
4. Dry car using Meguiars Microfibre towel (10 mins)
5. Wax car, usuall 1-2 panels at a time, and wipe off (using Meg NXT Wax , and a cloth) (20 mins)
6. Use Autoglym glass cleaner in and out on windows , and wipe off (15 mins)
7. Clean off any remaining grime, brake dust from alloys using wonder wheels (10 mins)
8. Occasionally i use some rubber trim polish to remove any wax or other grime from black bits (10 mins)

Thats about it, takes about it for the outside. If im cleaning the inside , i hoover, polish, treat leather. Which takes about an hour.
I normally wash it once every 2-3 weeks.

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by beclovesclios on 30 January 2005
So does wax make it really shine?

I noticed alot of black marks like stone chips but think they were it was like tarmac that had stuck to my car!!!only tiny bits tho, they wouldnt come off with sponge had to scrape off with finger but there was quite a few and take ages!is there some cleaning product that would get this off?!

[Edited by beclovesclios on 30 January 2005 at 8:36pm]

The polish will make the shine the wax will seal it in and add to the look.

Autoglym tar remover dissolves this and will save your nails!!!! ;)

Ford Fiesta

so to remove swirls and light scratches from a pearl black car that the dealer has caused with bad prep?

whats the best way, a pure polish like meguiars deep crystal pure polish, followed by a wax such as gold class followed by a sealant like auto glym extra gloss?

106 GTi

Meguiars deep cyrstal polish is very mild, more off a glaze and wont remove the swirls. I would start off with some Super Resin Polish first if that does not work, look at some Meguirs Scratch X, Swirl Free or Speed Glaze pro oline polishes.

As for waxing the wax should follow the sealant to improve look. Some sealants like Autoglym extra gloss are designed to work only with a certain product, In the case of extra gloss it wont bond and seal properly if not used ontop of super resin. Better options are Poorboys EX or Meguirs NXt as they can be use on top of whatever.

If you do want to add wax ontop of a sealant, Gold Class is not an option as its a cleaner/polish and wax in one. You need to use a pure Carnuba that just waxes. There is plenty out there, Meguiars 16, 26, Stage 3 Carnuba, P21s etc.

Spent six hours on my clio yesterday, scrubbed the wheels with a toothbrush, sealed them with supaguard wheel protector, cleaned, polished, piant sealed, waxed the paintwork, she is now sooooo black and shiny, and I have one HELL of an aching back!!!!!! Worth the effort when it comes up like that................ Wish I knew how to get pictures off my phone onto here!!!!!!!!

Ford Fiesta

lifelong, cant u send via bluetooth, if not send them as an mms to your email address...

I always use Auto glym car shampoo with wax in it. Use very little otherwise you get a white haze after rinsing. I always waterjet the car first and after washing. I never dry it because it just encourages scratches. I usually take the car up the road at speed and let the water blow off naturally. One thing I have noticed is how easily the Renault paint scrtaches. I polished the bonnet once using Autoglym and a new cotton mitt and it left swirl marks on the paint, I now found its better left alone.

Quote: Originally posted by Bennys182 on 31 January 2005

I always use Auto glym car shampoo with wax in it. Use very little otherwise you get a white haze after rinsing. I always waterjet the car first and after washing. I never dry it because it just encourages scratches. I usually take the car up the road at speed and let the water blow off naturally. One thing I have noticed is how easily the Renault paint scrtaches. I polished the bonnet once using Autoglym and a new cotton mitt and it left swirl marks on the paint, I now found its better left alone.
your getting scratches because your using a polish

Quote: Originally posted by phunkey_monkeh on 30 January 2005

This is my current routine. Which i will be doing tomorrow.

1. Hose down the car with fresh water to remove any debris. (5 mins)
2. Wash with Maguiars NXT Car Wash, using a wash mitt. (15 mins)
3. Use the reverse of my wash mitt to remove any bugs, tar etc (15 mins)
4. Dry car using Meguiars Microfibre towel (10 mins)
5. Wax car, usuall 1-2 panels at a time, and wipe off (using Meg NXT Wax , and a cloth) (20 mins)
6. Use Autoglym glass cleaner in and out on windows , and wipe off (15 mins)
7. Clean off any remaining grime, brake dust from alloys using wonder wheels (10 mins)
8. Occasionally i use some rubber trim polish to remove any wax or other grime from black bits (10 mins)

Thats about it, takes about it for the outside. If im cleaning the inside , i hoover, polish, treat leather. Which takes about an hour.
I normally wash it once every 2-3 weeks.
When using NXT you can do the whole car and then leave it 20 mins or an hour or even overnight, longer the better really!

Quote: Originally posted by r-jay-cup on 30 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by beclovesclios on 30 January 2005

So does wax make it really shine?

I noticed alot of black marks like stone chips but think they were it was like tarmac that had stuck to my car!!!only tiny bits tho, they wouldnt come off with sponge had to scrape off with finger but there was quite a few and take ages!is there some cleaning product that would get this off?!

[Edited by beclovesclios on 30 January 2005 at 8:36pm]

The polish will make the shine the wax will seal it in and add to the look.

Autoglym tar remover dissolves this and will save your nails!!!! ;)
ok thanx will look into getting some polish and wax!oh and the tar stuff!