ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird handling characteristic and shock replacement advice.

172 cup
Hi everyone,

I was wanting your thoughts on some funny handling characteristics on my 172 cup. I've only had the car for a short while so it may just be me not being used to it, but something definitely doesn't feel right.

Several times when taking low speed right handers (especially on bumpy surfaces) I've had the feeling that the back end was going to slide round on me. Now this was at speeds way too low to have provoked any sort of oversteer, it was more like the back end was just kinda 'wandering' round the corner, not feeling particularly attached to the front lol. I have also noticed a similar feeling at motorway speeds on long sweeping right handers, kind of like the car is twisting into the corner, and feeling quite disconnected, but not actually sliding.

Also the car seems particularly 'bashy' over pretty small bumps, making rather a lot of noise while going over them.

My gut feeling is that my left rear shock is knackered, its also worth mentioning that at some point the car has been fitted with some lowering springs (I have no idea what kind, they're red if that helps). My plan is to replace both rear shock with OE items and also to refit OE springs all round in an attempt to cure a bit of the 'bashy-ness'.

Does anyone have any idea how much I'm looking at paying for four springs and two shocks? Where should I be looking to buy these parts, I'm assuming I can do better than go straight to Renault. Finally can anyone recommend a decent garage in or near-ish to Glasgow to carry out this work?

Sorry for the long post and cheers for any advice you can give me, feel free to give any alternative diagnosis-es for my handling woes lol

Mk5 golf gti
pop the back wheels off and check if the shocks are leaking
which they most likely will be by the sound of it
i wouldnt change your springs to be honest
change the leaking shock for a new one
an your car will be mega improved as a leaking shock makes the car horrible o drive bouncy and the back end kicking out lol
i currently have this dilemma for the second time :(

Not a 320d
Do you know what the springs lower the car by?

I know that using standard shocks and springs which lower the car a considerable amount can cause problems.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Me and or Djw Dave can do it for you no problem mate if you're cool with coming to Livingston.

Also I have standard springs that you could have for jimmy cheap ;)

Clio 172 RS2
My rightside rear shock was leaking/empty... just working like a bicycle pump.

Skated around when turning left @ certain speeds or sharp bends.
And also crashy on bumps!

Sounds just like your problems.

Red springs could be Eibach Sportlines?

Get 2 new shocks and all should be good.
No good in replacing just one, both corners have to be done!