ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welsh roadtrip - epic roads!

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
With a few days holiday to use up, and the Clio having been gathering cobwebs all summer, I decided to go for a bit of a roadtrip around south and mid Wales. With a map to hand and drawing on experience and some pointers off the net I soon worked out a route.

Most things Wales-related involve the M4, and in my case this meant a tedious few hours on the motorway before turning off at Bridgend. But reward soon came in the shape of the A4061 between Nant Y Moel and Treherbert. Considering its proximity to the motorway, this road is a corker. Really alpine in feel with hairpins beneath big cliffs and long stretches of black and white armco.

For a real sense of being there while viewing the pics, I suggest you blast yourself with a hairdryer (on cold) while repeatedly splashing water in your face.

_MG_0597.gif

DPP_0001.gif

The hairpin midway to the summit.

DPP_0002.gif

The lonely summit.

DPP_0003.gif

Now it gets good...

The A4061 continues through Treherbert and, once beyond the houses, resumes its spectacular course to Hirwaun. It begins along the side of a valley beneath the cliffs and ends with a corkscrew off the mountain that leads to the Tower Colliary.

DPP_0004.gif

Overlooking Craig y Lyn.

DPP_0005.gif

The descent across Hirwaun Common.

At Hirwaun I got on the A465 and then headed across to Bynamman, passing Walters Arena: one of the stages on Rally GB. Bynamman is the start, or end, point of the A4069: the famous Black Mountain road. Another great mix of fast, sweeping corners and tighter bends made especially worrying by the large boulders that line the entire road.

DPP_0006.gif

DPP_0007.gif

DPP_0008.gif

The famous hairpin. Performance Car's relaunch cover with the Clio 197 was shot just along from here.

DPP_0015.gif

Looking back up from the hairpin.

From Llangadog to Llandovery the A4069 changes character: smoothly surfaced with long straights and flowing corners. From Llandovery I continued north to Llanwrtyd Wells on the A483 then picked up a singletrack road to Abergwesyn. I was a little worried about floods here, as I know how wet this area is and reports on the radio on the way over were a little worrying. Thankfully it wasn't too bad and I made it few the few puddles and began to climb past Abergwesyn heading for Tregaron. The road was only singletrack, but full of character with loads of yumps and some steep climbs and descents. It was also absolutely deserted.

DPP_0009.gif

Esgair Irfon. Reminded me of the Lake District without the chavs.

It was a great road to Tregaron - not one for going mad on, but truly wild in terms of landscape and lack of civilisation.
At Tregaron I headed north for Pont rhyd y groes (B4343) then Cymystwyth.

DPP_0010.gif

V Power at tuppence ha'penny a gallon.

Cymystwyth led me to the Elan Valley Mountain Road, and shortly out of the village you pass these old copper mines, with the ground still stained a rainbow of colours from the leaching metals.

DPP_0011.gif

DPP_0016.gif

This road was a revelation: practically deserted and constantly changing from singletrack to full-width. Alternatively fast and flowing, then tight and technical. Eventually I came to a fork, and looking to the right brought a view familiar from last year's Evo car of the year.

DPP_0012.gif

DPP_0013.gif

I turned right and followed this road along the edge of Craig Goch. Although singletrack for the most part, the sightlines are good and there's a sequence of wonderful corners that are more than full double width road. Great for a RWD car.

After about 2 miles I reached the dam...

DPP_0014.gif

... and the last of my photos. It was getting pretty late by this stage, so I got a move on, dropping down passed all the reservoirs, to Elan Village and Rhayader. Then I took the A470 south, followed by the B4358 (good fun) to Garth and the B4519 Epynt road. Sadly it was dark by this point so I didn't get to see any tank battles.
Then it was main roads from Brecon to Abergavenny, then the B4598 to Usk and the excellent B4235 to Chepstow (which was spent with an Impreza WRX welded to my bumper).

Total distance 520miles. Worth the 2 1/2 tanks of super unleaded? You bet.

180.6Bhp 172 cup (cc)
was this today?
Was going to go across on a drive sess over there with another guy off her and a m8 from work who has a vx (who also coincidently is also on here as ex 172 owner!!)

We thought would be a waste of a blast with all the rain thats been coming down but it does not look that bad!!
Epic part of the world for driving, car looking mint to!

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
@ DrRollo - Ha! Classic! Looks like you had slightly better weather than me though. Did you come from Cymystwyth and head for Craig Goch? That road is an absolute blinder. Guess it's not really too far from Salop.

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
was this today?
Was going to go across on a drive sess over there with another guy off her and a m8 from work who has a vx (who also coincidently is also on here as ex 172 owner!!)

We thought would be a waste of a blast with all the rain thats been coming down but it does not look that bad!!
Epic part of the world for driving, car looking mint to!

No, did it on Thursday. Was a bit worried at one point, but it was all good in the end. Lots of branches down on the road though, and part of the road between Llanwrtyd Wells and Tregaron is closed for some reason (landslide?) so you have to drop down to Llyn Brianne and back up.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Honestly can't remember the roads, was the first time i'd gone to mid wales, I'm usually up north as it's so close, south wales takes ages to get to cos everyone drives so slowly.

180.6Bhp 172 cup (cc)
No, did it on Thursday. Was a bit worried at one point, but it was all good in the end. Lots of branches down on the road though, and part of the road between Llanwrtyd Wells and Tregaron is closed for some reason (landslide?) so you have to drop down to Llyn Brianne and back up.

Fair shout looks like it was worth it!
We are going to try again soon, but cant see it beeing this side of xmas with the current weather...

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Great pics and run. I'd like to head down for a drive but it's quite a way, more than likley need a hotel for the night.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Great pics mate. Hope you enjoyed the roads. Like many on here I'm lucky to live with these roads right on my door step and I never get tired of the challenging roads and fantastic scenery. :cool:

Artic Blue 182 FF
'Then it was main roads from Brecon to Abergavenny, then the B4598 to Usk and the excellent B4235 to Chepstow (which was spent with an Impreza WRX welded to my bumper'

My daily driver. Some good roads ;)
Amazing photos looks like you had a hoot, i must get up to that res, looks utterly awesome.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Mint, i need to do this! Had 4 Rs clios and never been for a days thrash round the welsh B roads.

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
'Then it was main roads from Brecon to Abergavenny, then the B4598 to Usk and the excellent B4235 to Chepstow (which was spent with an Impreza WRX welded to my bumper'

Amazing photos looks like you had a hoot, i must get up to that res, looks utterly awesome.

I was relieved when he pulled alongside at the junction in Chepstow and I realised what he was driving. It would have been slightly embarrasing if it had been some old shopping trolley with grandma at the wheel!

Here's a link to the route if anyone's interested in trying it (or bits of it):

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...51.738935,-3.218994&spn=0.894631,2.469177&z=9

Pug 205 gti

oi, dont come racin round my hood!

LY182/NHB CTR
Thats part of day 1 from our Wales Tour we do every year. Lovely selection of roads glad you enjoyed :)

Cracking photos.

None :(
WoW nice roads! I like the write up on this, really inspired me to go there and check it out! Its a 2 hour drive from Gloucester by the looks of things, maybe more if they do drive that slow in Wales ;)

Goliath I
Wales has some awesome roads, black mountains are awesome and the coast to Aberystwyth from Cardigan way is a hell of view on a sunny day!

Where's that dam? I facny having a womble down :)

ds3
really good photos, looks like a great drive. i'd be scared as driving down that single track road in the dark though! :(

307 hdi (powered by derv)
I've ran around those last 3 pics. Truely epic views around there. I'm sure the 20mile in the car was easier than the 20mile I did running it

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Those are fantastic pitures, you have a good eye for a quality picture. Thanks for sharing!

197 ff albi
oh yes the good old bwlch run, absolutely fantastic piece of road only 20mins away from me good on a quiet sunday, the elan road is even better massive river damn and lovely old quiet copper mine roads, wicked report mate