ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what are 'throttle bodies'?

VW Potato
Troops,

What are throttle bodies please? What do they replace/or are a substitute for? I'm not very technical, hence the question.

I know that this should be in technical mods or something, but the answer to the question will determine how interested I am in finding out more, so I thought I'd start here, first! :)

cheers,

g

Most cars come with one throttle body (unit with a flap in it controling air flow into the engine in basic terms). Fitting one per cylinder (this is what people mean when they say throttle bodies) makes for more air supply and along with other adjustments and parts can make for bigger power. Cars like M3's run ITB (individual throttle bodies) as standard.

Last edited:
the throttle body is part of the air intake sytem, replacing the throttle body with one larger one allows more air flow, replacing it with 4 individual bodies allows even more airflow. poor description but basically it. If you can afford it, do it!

VW Potato
ok, that's great - thanks very much. I think I've now grasped the concept, but can I ask another question?

Let's say that the standard throttle body lets in a certain volume of air. I guess then that the ITBs allow in even more air, in total, than the standard throttle body? Is that correct? I guess this makes the engine even more responsive, too?

Loony - what other adjustments would need to be made to make the adoption of throttle bodies worthwhile? And finally, roughly, what's the bhp increase?

thanks again chaps,

g

can attain upto 215bhp with individual throttle bodies with the necesary remap. For individual throttle bodies for looking at £3.5k iirc. with other work you can see 225+ and yes it does make the engine more responsive as you'll replace the fly-by-wire throttle with a cable throttle

Basically they allow more air in which means you can put more fuel in.

more air + more fuel = more power.

Apparently BenR will be developing a new air intake system (manifold) specifically for the f4r engine. Do not know details, timescales or prices for this though.

Been away but as the other guys have said, things such as throttle cable and fixings, ontop of the ITB's, adaption flange/manifold to fit to the head you'll need a standalone ECU for fuelling and ignition timing. Loads of bits and bobs. Most people go for uprated cams at the same time.