ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what car next?

Renault Clio 1.2
currently got my 1.2 litre clio, mark 2. its nice, starting to get very repetitve when i dont drive it economically ;) but for petrol and reliability its done really well. i passed in january and have had for a almost a year.
i get my bonus from work in march, ive saved around 4000 and hopefully will sell mine for 2000 ish. so altogether i figger i should have around the 7000 ish.

im looking to upgrade to the renault sport club in april, with the bonus and time to save and the insurance. but what to do? ive had my eyes set on a 182 for ages now, but at the same time the monaco blue 172 just pushes all buttons for me. its practially the same car, until you drive it stupidly quick, but i dnt have the experience or stupidity to do that. i like the 182/172 because you have the nice seats, air con, extras and the ability to mod them in what ever way you please, but i just cant decide. my main factor that splits them both is most people notices a 182 over the 172 because of its big exhausts, but at the same time i dont really care.

what im tring to get out is, 172 in monaco blue or 182 in wateva colour, but 172s will be alot cheaper because there so much older??

im lost. can you guys give me some opinions/views

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
if you can afford the insurance and running costs go for one.

I have a 182 but if i was to buy again it would be a PH-1 :D!

Renault Clio 1.2
insurance doesnt bother me because of the amount of young idiots on the road i could get insured on a lawn mower and it would still be sky high! but its the fact that the mileage and age of 172's may be a problem in the future. 182s arnt that old really and should be down further in price by the time i buy

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Look at it this way though, find a FSH 172 it will be spot on, but Nearly all 182 s will need there cambelts doing in the next year or 2. this alown is 500quid job.

As soon as you have 1 years no claims insurance will look a bit healthier.

Titanium 182
I would choose a 182 anyday if I had the means, although I'm now 19 with 2yncb and RS clio quotes are still above 3k for fully comp :/

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I would choose a 182 anyday if I had the means, although I'm now 19 with 2yncb and RS clio quotes are still above 3k for fully comp :/

Same, my sensible head is on and I'm waiting 'til I'm 21.

RB 200 Cup!
172 in monaco is a truly stunning car - but tbh 172s and 182s will all be even cheaper in the new year -prices have just fallen drastically.

Prob be abkle to get a trophy next year for f**k all money

182 Trophy (#27/500)
I am 20 and have a 182 trophy. Am being screwed on insurance but it makes up for it everytime i turn the key. Was still expensive for 172 and i wanted something really special that not many people have got so i got the trophy. In your dilema i would say go for the 182. Ive had a 172 as well and i just theink that it better because it newer, with some added refinements. Its just an upgraded 172 imo.

Clio 182
Im also 20 with a 182, go for it!! Prizes are stupidly low so this compensates your insurance.:) think of it that way.

There was a mint trophy up for sale for 6.5k the other day ;)

Renault Clio 1.2
cheers guys. i think i will go for a 182 if i can raise the funds, but as many of you have said they will be lower in the new year. the monaco blue 172 is something ive liked for a long time but if i can get a nice 182 then job done. insurance is something im always goin to be screwed on so that doesnt bother me.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've had 3x 172's, a 182, and a Trophy. Money no object, get the Trophy. Much better than a 172/182, but they are more expensive to insure. There's no difference between a 182/172. Sensible thing to do would be to buy a 172, then get it coilovered (H&R/AST/KW). Will be cheaper than a 182 or Trophy, and the 172's look nicer (no wheelbarrow exhaust, nicer colours flame/monaco).

White clique
i've had both 172s and 182s, to be honest if you start at a 172 it'll niggle away at you that you could have had a 182 (newer and sounds better).

You can pick up trophys from 5.5k, I also had a monaco blue 172 and they look the nuts, so best colour choice if you do settle for a 172.

7k is a very good budget, you'll have a heap of change if you do go for a 172 - they are about 4k at the mo.

Renault Clio 1.2
ye i think for performance wise, which doesnt really matter for, because any CS will smoke the majority of cars, the 182 is better, but the 172s practically do the same job, its just the two extras of the cup spoiler and double exhaust at the back of the 182. not sure yet.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
ye i think for performance wise, which doesnt really matter for, because any CS will smoke the majority of cars, the 182 is better, but the 172s practically do the same job, its just the two extras of the cup spoiler and double exhaust at the back of the 182. not sure yet.
There is NO performance difference at all between a 172/182. None. Unless it's a ph1, they are very slightly quicker.

White clique
a 182 with the cup packs would be a much better choice over a standard 172 to be honest, you can really feel the difference. I know you dont intend to rag it about, but when you've driven the two, the cup packs feels much more planted on the road.

LY 200
If insurance doesnt bother you then buy a Trophy which are on Pistonheads for around that money now......Next best thing to an LY for sure!!! ;)

A 172 (other than a Cup) will be a nice little comfort with a bigger engine, but the looks will tire in time as will the handling BUT if you just want a 1.2 with nicer seats, luxurys like climate and a 2.0 engine then sure, you may aswell go for them.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
a 182 with the cup packs would be a much better choice over a standard 172 to be honest, you can really feel the difference. I know you dont intend to rag it about, but when you've driven the two, the cup packs feels much more planted on the road.
Just not true! There's a small difference, which a simple mod like sportlines rectifies. And don't forget the 182 comes with wider tyres, which fit the 172 (same size wheels).

LY 200
Just not true! There's a small difference, which a simple mod like sportlines rectifies. And don't forget the 182 comes with wider tyres, which fit the 172 (same size wheels).

One of my best pals had a standard Iceberg 172, i have a 182 with cup packs and we both agreed that the 182 felt the more complete performance hatch......He ended up selling his 6 months in for lardy TT and i still have mine 2.5 years on and am still not bored with it.

What do/have you have/had out of interest?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd go for a phase 1 flamer and save the money in hindsight. But i never regret buying the trophy
Yep;). Trophy are awesome, but you can get the handling just as good with well set-up, decent coilovers.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
One of my best pals had a standard Iceberg 172, i have a 182 with cup packs and we both agreed that the 182 felt the more complete performance hatch......He ended up selling his 6 months in for lardy TT and i still have mine 2.5 years on and am still not bored with it.

What do/have you have/had out of interest?
172ph2
182cup
172ph2
182 trophy
172ph1 (current)

White clique

its true in my eyes, i stepped out of a 172 on the ren forecourt, got into the 182, i could feel it instantly. Granted, you may not be able to tell if you drove them days apart, but along side each other the difference is very noticeable.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
its true in my eyes, i stepped out of a 172 on the ren forecourt, got into the 182, i could feel it instantly. Granted, you may not be able to tell if you drove them days apart, but along side each other the difference is very noticeable.
Fair enough, but don't forget you were probably comparing a car that was at least 12 month (if not more) older than the other, and the effect miles/age has on suspension etc. I actually drove the 172/Trophy/ and a 182 on the same day (sadly I owned 2 RS's at once). The Trophy is miles ahead of a standard 1*2, but there's not much between the others. And the 172 has a spare wheel (not a can of foam!) and the exhaust is cheaper to replace (because it will fall off at some point). IMHO.
To the OP, until you've tried them both, you won't know which to go for.

Clio 172 Flamer
im 22 and have a trophy and my insurance is £995 a year fully comp with only me on the policy, oh and i have points:rasp: but anyway go for a trophy bcoz they falling in price i wish i had waited 6month before i got mine i would of saved at least 2k

Renault Clio 1.2
by the look of it boys, you've all persuaded me to get a trophy. its just finding one with low miles and insuring it thats going to cause a problem. have to see where i am in the new year finance wise. if i can sell mine for 2000 and have saved 5000 from work, with a 800 quid bonus. job done. but at same time my cars in on MOT and the cambelts gone so going to have to get rid of this months savings.