ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what did you run down pod

williams and trophy
and thats it then?? cos jon says so. lmfao.

172s have been running very close times to the mk1s for years. again tim 'o's cup, 14.0 albeit modded, chris n nics cup 14.4 iirc, paddys old flame red 14.7 standard, rhys' ph1 172 14.6 filter mods, the list goes on.

these are all times from 3+ years ago.

maybe the reason why mk1s run the better times is as the mk1 owners have been saying for years....the mk1 is quicker. ;)

now jon says so it must be true?? and because it suits the argument. your agreeing.

as said above tho, its how it drives on the road that counts. and from what iv seen, the motorway is really the only place for the bodied beasties, too much unusable power for the back roads....as jon found out the other week in bolton lol. ok so yeah the williams was getting scary to drive, but its a track car, not set for road really, too harsh and fukt tyres/incorrectly adjusted rear bias valve made it very entertaining, was still there with the 197s tho. just lol.

The odd Mk2 gets near 'some' of the Mk1 times. Look at how many of each run what and narrow it down some. There's no way Mk2's are running 13.8's with breathing mods as you cant get enough weight out of them. You think ITB's are a big waste of money, but it's horses for courses, as in the real world if you ran into one chances are you'd be on a motorway, dual carriageway or A/B road and already moving... in which case it wont really be much of a comparison... as you have found out in a stripped cam'd and headworked Williams and the same again with bodies... and I had a passenger when we took them out both on bodies... okay, a half passenger in terms of weight, but that's a 225-230bhp car that weighs 1060kg's plus me and your lad against an 800kg 200+bhp ITB'd Williams. Not bad really imo ;)

if Stu is changing at 7k (should be 7.5k) and still having traction issues going into 3rd then I'd say that contributes towards a fair bit of lost time. You talk about your car costing peanuts, even with bodies, but then they cost Ged more than my car, so comparing something you got cheap to someone else doing it the expensive way is hardly fair. I got mine with bodies for a good price and have spent a bit getting it better, it's cost me less than the Williams already, and I would need to spend about another £10k+ to even start getting near what I paid out on that. Bang for buck it's been good value and on the road (which to me is where it matters) there's not much to come even near it.

on the right setup the power is usable, mine's just totally unusable on any damp/wet roads or crappy surfaces, but that doesn't really matter, most of the roads I go on are pretty smooth compared to those Bolton B roads

the 'odd' mk2 gets near. try quite a lot. like i say these times were from 3+ years ago, when only a handful of mk1s could break into the low 14s barrier. and the majority of 172s werent far off those times. but they were still behind ;)

and as you like to mention, stripped headworked cammed bodied car.nowhere near 200bhp as iv said, the problems iv had with the running of it would put it nowhere near 200 id say. in fact id say its very nearly as quick now than it was with the bodies, the main diff being that the bodies would rev from 7-8k as easily and quickly as from 1-2k revs. without it struggleas a bit at the high end.

yes they cost quite a bit of money when first installed, but again, someone else who doesnt listen to good advice, and takes his car to be worked on by cowboys.........what can i say?? i could have saved him thousands too. or done as you did, buy a cheap car, altho it would have been a damn site cheaper than you paid for yours, buts thats neither here nor there, spent quite a chunk more on it to get it running better, and id still be sat there with a car that costs a lot less, and no doubt if set up correctly, woul d be more than a match for yours til the gearbox limited the fun.

im not saying bodies are a waste of time, but neither am i saying they are the dogs gonads. they serve a purpose, to get a few extra ponies.....but then so do split 45s...as you say, horses for courses. personally i think the money would be better spent elsewhere, and the gains could be even higher.

but then im speaking from my opinion and experience, not someone elses ;)

williams and trophy
and might i just add...even now, the car isnt mapped properly, hasnt seen a rollers or laptop since it was built. so im obviously down on power there also.

so for a car that isnt even set up/mapped.......i dont think it does too badly ;)

years ago people were putting in any old battered Mk1 engine and hopeing for the best though, people now are getting low mile Megane bottom ends which 9 times out of 10 produce the goods and now the Mk2's for the most part dont come that close on average.

price cant really be compared, but for the price I got mine I could have paid as much or more for a totally standard Ph1 172... in fact I would have paid more. imo it was a bargain. It's newer, more reliable, easier to live with and quicker... not as much fun, but you cant have everything. It's not cost me that much really, most of the money was spend on the alarm and tracker and a bit making it quicker.

If I was building a 1/4 mile car I'd not bother with ITB's tbh, the power is difficult to put down compared to when I drove the white one when Mehdi had, but still, I'd like to think that if I did ever bother doing a day at Santa Pod that with an experienced driver and warm day it I'd get under 14 seconds. Stu's almost certainly would had he been changing 500rpm later each gear

and might i just add...even now, the car isnt mapped properly, hasnt seen a rollers or laptop since it was built. so im obviously down on power there also.

so for a car that isnt even set up/mapped.......i dont think it does too badly ;)

mines not been RR mapped since it was first done either and the map was messed with prior to me buying it, but I've been putting off having it RR mapped until I do some more things to it as there's not much point lol...

oh that reminds me, fancy coming with me to drop me car off, one of us will have to drive the Rover though!!! lol

williams and trophy
errrr

do we have to go in the rover????

i need to go collect some stuff from darn saaarf anyway....so let me know wen u plannin on takin it aye.

well I'll drive the shitty Rover as I need to take it on a run... just dont kill my gearbox ;)

need to take both me cars as the 172 is being dropped off over winter for some stuff.

email me byatch, you at home or on your blackberry thingy?

williams and trophy
years ago people were putting in any old battered Mk1 engine and hopeing for the best though, people now are getting low mile Megane bottom ends which 9 times out of 10 produce the goods and now the Mk2's for the most part dont come that close on average.

price cant really be compared, but for the price I got mine I could have paid as much or more for a totally standard Ph1 172... in fact I would have paid more. imo it was a bargain. It's newer, more reliable, easier to live with and quicker... not as much fun, but you cant have everything. It's not cost me that much really, most of the money was spend on the alarm and tracker and a bit making it quicker.

If I was building a 1/4 mile car I'd not bother with ITB's tbh, the power is difficult to put down compared to when I drove the white one when Mehdi had, but still, I'd like to think that if I did ever bother doing a day at Santa Pod that with an experienced driver and warm day it I'd get under 14 seconds. Stu's almost certainly would had he been changing 500rpm later each gear

wash your fukkin mouth out...the engines in the mk1 are bulletproof. 6 years+ and i still havent broke one.......and iv tried pretty fukkin hard lol.

tbf tho, the williams lump i had in was just as quick. hence all the arguments iv had stating that my car ISNT a freak, but is just capable of doing what they all should. ;) 14.6 with just zorst mods......

as you say on price. it cant be compared....because neither of us bought the car new, or the mods to put on em. but look at it this way.

both the 172 and valver/williams were around the £15k mark when new. the mods on yours cost a good few grand new, as did the mods on mine. so they both cost roughly the same, but the willy will have a higher resale value now than a 172 will have in say 6+ years down the line. vfm...gotta be the williams. resale value alone determines that. bang per buck...again this would be very close, but again, the fun factor of the handling of the williams will take this one.

seee a pattern emerging?? lol

VaVa
So from what you're saying, if I put an F7 in my 172 it will go quicker with the same mods?

Can't see it. Like I've said. Forget the engine or the cams or the williamsclio standard. It's the weight that's the ultimate killer.

williams and trophy
like iv already stated elsewhere in this thread.

put the power/weight ratio in favour of the 172s and they still dont produce the goods.

williams and trophy

mines not been RR mapped since it was first done either and the map was messed with prior to me buying it, but I've been putting off having it RR mapped until I do some more things to it as there's not much point lol...

oh that reminds me, fancy coming with me to drop me car off, one of us will have to drive the Rover though!!! lol

but yours has been mapped a few times since youv had it. on road mapped.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I ran a 15.0 dead with plenty of spin in the wet. Andy ran a 14.1 in my old hybrid i beleive?

wash your fukkin mouth out...the engines in the mk1 are bulletproof. 6 years+ and i still havent broke one.......and iv tried pretty fukkin hard lol.

tbf tho, the williams lump i had in was just as quick. hence all the arguments iv had stating that my car ISNT a freak, but is just capable of doing what they all should. ;) 14.6 with just zorst mods......

as you say on price. it cant be compared....because neither of us bought the car new, or the mods to put on em. but look at it this way.

both the 172 and valver/williams were around the £15k mark when new. the mods on yours cost a good few grand new, as did the mods on mine. so they both cost roughly the same, but the willy will have a higher resale value now than a 172 will have in say 6+ years down the line. vfm...gotta be the williams. resale value alone determines that. bang per buck...again this would be very close, but again, the fun factor of the handling of the williams will take this one.

seee a pattern emerging?? lol

bullet proof in the sense you can run them for millions of miles, but you know as well as I do that a lot haven't been well cared for and are showing their age so dont perform that well... saw this a fair few times on some of the WC meet/convoys. Problem is they are old and a lot aren't used regularly and the ones that are tend to get driven into the ground.

Horses for courses, I'd have a mint Williams over any other newer standard Clio, especially for 1/4 miles as they weigh next to nothing, on the road and for a daily car the Mk2 suits me better, not interested in going quick from a standstill, I'd rather have the power available on the road which is where I use mine... I dont have time to go quarter miling, work and other stuff comes first

williams and trophy
see how the 172s are after a 100k then before comments are made on that score.

as already said tho, the willy engines iv had, various mileages and various states of previous service history have all given me roughly the same outcome, except 1, which was in a heavier willy 2.

the original engine in 0159 now has 72k miles on it, and its putting down better times at this mileage than it was at 55k miles. i reckon it will get quicker before it starts to show signs of serious wear, and itl be another good few 10s of thousands of miles before the wear becomes an issue. but its been sat for the last 4 years. lol

admittedly, some of the willy's are quicker than others...but then show me a marque of car where they all have exactly the same stats, there isnt 1.

178hp 172 Cup
i honestly think that a TB'd Mk2 would really hav to go some to make a mid to low 13 sec QM!! i hav seen 400hp Evo's only run mid to high 12s so to b not far from them would b seriously rapid!! i honestly think a 14 dead is not a bad time at all for Foxon!! its a good half to a full second quicker than standard and i am sure with more QM experience he will get a little quicker!!!

Nippy white cup
The thing is tho...the faster the time the harder it is to get quicker as the speeds are also quicker. Getting my car to go from 15 dead to pretty much 14 dead took exhaust/decat, filter and off the shelf chip...to get from 14 to 13 dead would take a hell of a lot of cash...

Chris

On a vaguely relevant note, I reckon I'm going to try taking a cheetah to the Pod. Just read in the paper that they do 0-60 in 3 secs. Only got a top speed of 70mph though....

PHS 1 172 SILVER
i have got to get the pratice in then if i want a better time because i know mine can do better;)

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
the jesus says the mk1`s get better times, end of.

172s have been running very close times to the mk1s for years. again tim 'o's cup, 14.0 albeit modded, chris n nics cup 14.4 iirc, paddys old flame red 14.7 standard, rhys' ph1 172 14.6 filter mods, the list goes on.

maybe the reason why mk1s run the better times is as the mk1 owners have been saying for years....the mk1 is quicker. ;)

now jon says so it must be true?? and because it suits the argument. your agreeing.

as said above tho, its how it drives on the road that counts. and from what iv seen, the motorway is really the only place for the bodied beasties, too much unusable power for the back roads....as jon found out the other week in bolton lol. ok so yeah the williams was getting scary to drive, but its a track car, not set for road really, too harsh and fukt tyres/incorrectly adjusted rear bias valve made it very entertaining, was still there with the 197s tho. just lol.

there`s the difference, my car eats 197`s, before n after the ITB`s! the only reason i brought jon in2 it is because he`s had both mk1 & mk2`s so fink he wud know, where as i haven`t so i wouldn`t no, obviously. as i`ve said above (that u must of not seen) i`ve only ad the car a week :rolleyes:.

by the way i forgot to mention that pug1off ad there orange 3.0 V6 205 there (i know its not a clio lol) n that was only running 13.9. i bet that car weights less than mine n with more power! n b4 sum1 say`s sumfink, it was being driven by the owner who drivers the twin engine`d yellow 306 so i fink he know`s how to drive :evil:

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Foxon did you manage to get any other vids of the car in action mate ?

Hows it all settling in now youve had it a week or so........ still got the grin factor;)

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
^^^ defo still got the grin factor lol, but my wallet ain`t cause the petrol stations must b loving me :eek:

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
I wouldnt worry about the Nos mate from what I have heard & seen so far of your mods, the car is plenty quick enough !

Practise makes perfect Foxon. ;)

Anyways I'm sure you didnt do all the mods just for quarter mile runs more for drivability etc.

Right ......................... ?

no not just for sqm times, hopefully on the track sum time as well, it`ll be in its element then ;)

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
no not just for sqm times, hopefully on the track sum time as well, it`ll be in its element then ;)

^^^Yea I bet it will mate, should be great !

so whats it done to your insurance premium then ? what mpg you getting with the heavy right foot syndrome ?

williams and trophy

there`s the difference, my car eats 197`s, before n after the ITB`s! the only reason i brought jon in2 it is because he`s had both mk1 & mk2`s so fink he wud know, where as i haven`t so i wouldn`t no, obviously. as i`ve said above (that u must of not seen) i`ve only ad the car a week :rolleyes:.

by the way i forgot to mention that pug1off ad there orange 3.0 V6 205 there (i know its not a clio lol) n that was only running 13.9. i bet that car weights less than mine n with more power! n b4 sum1 say`s sumfink, it was being driven by the owner who drivers the twin engine`d yellow 306 so i fink he know`s how to drive :evil:

thats the thing tho. in a straight line, the 197 gets reeled in very easily, and jon was suffering even more than me, i was falling behind a bit, but jon was quite a way behind me.yes behind me, and falling further back.

as you said, with time you should get a better time, i just dont think the time set now is a good enough to consider it a target time to beat, it sshould piss that.

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup

thats the thing tho. in a straight line, the 197 gets reeled in very easily, and jon was suffering even more than me, i was falling behind a bit, but jon was quite a way behind me.yes behind me, and falling further back.

as you said, with time you should get a better time, i just dont think the time set now is a good enough to consider it a target time to beat, it sshould piss that.

u r joking about the 197`s surely!! imo they r quite slow, completely killed 1 b4 the ITB`s with my bro in my cup aswell!! i personally fink it will do better after i`ve drove it for awhile n start changing at 7500 instead of 7000 :rolleyes:, n learn to launch it properly cause was only launching at 2000 on saturday letting the clutch out slowly LOL:eek:

williams and trophy
no mate. no joke. usable power is where its at, and in the conditions, and the state of the road, neither mine nor jons had any kind of usable power. wheelspinning evry time it came on cam, evry time i put my foot down, add to this we were on roads we didnt know, and the lights on the williams are terrible, was pitch black, down wet, bumpy roads i didnt know, trying to keep the lights of the last 197 in view ahead of me, while still trying to keep jon within sight of me behind so he at least knew which way evryone had gone. and then the car was sideways evry time i put my foot on the brakes, which all in made it very entertaining. lol

on the dual carriageways etc tho, we did have a little TLGP, and the 197s were left in the spray. so much so that i had to pull over as i was then in front...but didnt know where the fuk i was, or where we were heading lol

u r joking about the 197`s surely!! imo they r quite slow, completely killed 1 b4 the ITB`s with my bro in my cup aswell!! i personally fink it will do better after i`ve drove it for awhile n start changing at 7500 instead of 7000 :rolleyes:, n learn to launch it properly cause was only launching at 2000 on saturday letting the clutch out slowly LOL:eek:

no, we were getting left for dead, but give me standard suspension and I'd have kept up! The coilovers are just FAR to harsh for those kind of roads. Would have been interesting to see what it would have been like in the dry, as then I'd at least be able to have powered down the straights and not ditch find, spin and torque steer all over the place lol

You'll hit 13's Stu, no doubt about it, changing 500rpm earlier when the powerband is to 7500 makes a huge difference.

williams and trophy
lol. more expense huh lol

the vee that used to go york?? dont remember that tbh mate.

looks like il have to build meself another engine then....show u mk2 boys what a fast clio looks like ;)

You gonna tell us what's getting done on it ,Jon?

I'll PM you Jim, keep it on the down low ;) lol

lol. more expense huh lol

the vee that used to go york?? dont remember that tbh mate.

looks like il have to build meself another engine then....show u mk2 boys what a fast clio looks like ;)

it was the chav'd up Vee that had the massive polished blingy alloys Jon, it was always there running 15's, you must remember it???

... and bring it on old man, this time weight wont be so much of a disadvantage! ;)

williams and trophy
pah.......age is experience mate ;)

just need to figure out a way to fund it now lol.

gimme wot uv got in urs, and il spend it to build a monster thatl kick ur ass lol.

pah.......age is experience mate ;)

just need to figure out a way to fund it now lol.

gimme wot uv got in urs, and il spend it to build a monster thatl kick ur ass lol.

experience or senility? ;)

if I give you what is in (and going in) mine then what good will that do me, I'd be putting it in a lighter car!?!? lol

Fred/Yoz, I'm coming for you lads ;) (although you may need to give me some driving lessons :eek:)