ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What gives the best handling??

2.0 16v 172 mk2
Im going to get a set of rims and i would like to know what would give the best handling, 15s and and lowered 60 mil or 16s and lowered 60??????any other suggestions please? :approve:

Define 'handling'

16's will grip harder as there's less sidewall flex, but 15's will be more 'playful'. So it depends if you want it on rails then snapping away from you or a little softer so you can play on the limit ;)

53 Clio's & counting
i would say 15s all day long mate,u can chuck the valvers about and have soooo much fun on 15s and go with 195/50/15 tyres too,i had bf goodridge profiler g's on my hybrid and gripped like a cat to ur curtains lol

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The following wheel parameters will affect the handling of any car:

Offset
Size
Weight
Circumferential Weight distribution (ie is more of the weight closer to the point of rotation or closer to the outer rim)
Width
Roundness (some wheels are made to better tolerances and are 'rounder' to start with)
Material (related to weight but also more importantly strenth)

Generally with lighter, smaller and stronger the wheels, you get quicker response through the steering and suspension

Skinny wheels allow for skinny tyres which improve grip in damp / greasy conditions

Wide wheels allow wide tyres which allows the car to run softer compounds with lower sidewalls = more grip

Offset is hard to define as every car and driver are different.

Wheel width is related to the tyre width you shopuld fit (there are mins and maxs). Its bad to fit a wide tyre to a thin wheel and vice versa as the understeer / oversteer characteristics change on the car when this is done. However this can be used to 'balance' a car if you know what your doing.

Wheel width is related to camber and other supension parameters and so you should first decide what your goal is, then sort buy a wheel that works with your suspension to provide the desired result.

Simply buying a small, light wheel to 'imrpove handing' makes about as much sense as buying a house made of ice in Florida.