ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What induction kit has eveyone got

Iknow the k&ns melt if they get to hot! would they be one of the better ones if they didnt melt coz soon i will be changing the thermo and fan switch for the cooler option................

My K&N has never melted! But its far from the best induction kit. In fact, there isnt much point going for an induction kit on the 16v at all.

i have a piperX, great sound, not a noticeable performance gain but incredible sound. I am thinking of using silicone hose to connect from the throttle head and feed it away from the engine and stick filter cone on the end. Any1 tried this?? if not, why, i think it may work

loads of Noise and a bit of peak power - better gains with a remap and straight through exhaust but todays induction systems on modern cars tend to be alot better than what they were - remember we have injection sytems now controlled by an ecu and not the old Carb systems which u could do alot more with.

Im sure R-Sport would have fitted a conical filter in a sealed airbox if they thought peak power would increase immensly

Put it like this the 172 Cup racers - 172 as standard - with a remap, straight through exhaust and conical filter (which is not sealed in a cold air box like BMC or Pipercross) gains a staggering - lol 8BHP!! Its nothing - a six speed sequential gearbox fitted to these cars increases acceleration to 60 by 0.5 secs over the cup road car but 0-100 takes 10.6 secs!

Do u really think that a pipercross or BMC induction kit is gonna get 8BHp on a 1.2/1.4/1.6/2.0 even with a straight through exhaust and chip/remap/ cams ull be lucky

If an 8HP increase ona professionally set up Cup race car is achieved - go figure what it is on a road car!

We all float back down to earth again!

CUPSIZE the 172 is already tuned mate thats why ya get 8 bhp! Where as normal road cars are ecconomical etc etc etc so you get more bhp with these upgrades.... think about it most 2.0l VVT 16v engines give about 140bhp standard.... look at the megan. So 8 bhp out of a already tuned engine is good!

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Ive got a K&N on my 16v, with a homemade induction kit - original one was pants.

Mine hasnt melted, yet....dont notice any real power gains, but it sounds evil enough...

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 20 November 2002

CUPSIZE the 172 is already tuned mate thats why ya get 8 bhp! Where as normal road cars are ecconomical etc etc etc so you get more bhp with these upgrades.... think about it most 2.0l VVT 16v engines give about 140bhp standard.... look at the megan. So 8 bhp out of a already tuned engine is good!
Say again - the cup racer is a standard 172 with 172 BHP - like I said its remapped, got an open induction kit (not sealed) and a straight through exhaust system - this gives 8BHP more than standard to 180BHP - not alot - that my point! Were all deluding ourselves as to performance gains from

A: chip/remap

B: filter/induction

C: exhaust!

Cupracers give 180BHP and 0-60 in 6secs - those who claim over 180 on a road car should therefore be seeing sub 6secs 0-60????? and should give R-Sport a ring and some advice it would seem on how to make the cup racwers faster (note they use 6 speed sequential gearboxes/ performance clutches/ECUs/ suspension/brakes etc...........lol!

So what if you use the viper kit, remap and exhaust+Decat.... must be 190 bhp then as the viper claims 10bhp on its own.....

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 20 November 2002

You really dont notice power gains? ..... have you got it in cold air?
I fitted it last spring, but kept the original induction pipe on the car untill this summer, when i modified it and add a new, bigger pipe that goes from the grille, right up to the filter.

I dont remember noticing any big power gains when i fitted it originally, or when i modified the pipe.

I heard that u can also knock out the front blanking plates on the 16v front bumper and feed hoses to the air filter this way....or are they for cooling the brakes?

Yeah.... See im not sure pipes like that work.... it will still suck in hot air... I would say with a car like yours get a viper!

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Viper X :D

Although when I went for the remap with the K-tec it roaded at 158bhp!!!! It was really over fueling. After a couple of files....bingo 180bhp!!

So you really need remapping if you are changing induction.

Scenario

Standard 172 airbox not didimilar to a BMC or pipercross - sorry if Im naive but replacingan airbox with another airbox linked to the same airfeed is pointless! Yes I agree its the remap/exhaust/induction which gives a max 0f 10BHP in total to the 172, but a pipercross alone does not - 2-3 BHP at peak power - do you think if Pipercross charged £249 for their system with claims of 2-3BHP - ud but it - I think not - save your money or stick a replacement filter in the standard airbox - it gives exactly the same gains as an induction kit - well it did on my my 1600 anyway and doesnt sound so boy/girl racerishhhishhhsihsshhhnm,n,mfkldjbdbj...............BHP increases with acceleration to a peak at X rPM and at 5250RPM BHP and Torque are the same !!! where the two curves meet! BHP starts to go down whereas Torque (on the 172) still rises to its peak eventually - that the beauty of the 172, Max engine torque is still available after peak power has been reached!

All in all the pipercross or BMC isnt a bad thing it just isnt really rocket science - now the Peougeot 206 WRC car has an inmteresting induction system where the filter (conical) sits vertical in the engine bay and a housing connected to the bonnet comes down ocver it when the bonnet is closed (hence why bonnet is lionked to bonnet vent and therefore getting maximum airflow to filter which is sealed by the bonnet housing!!!!!) Now thats nice - may have to try that meself).................

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

So i have a K&N and Magnex exhaust system - am i not getting full advantage of these? - Re-map? - ow much for me 16v? where can i get it done?:confused:

im gonna put an induction kit from BMC (CDA model) and reprogram my ecu with a superchips program.. 6 or 7 of december ill put here the dynos.. :)

Quote:

Cupracers give 180BHP and 0-60 in 6secs - those who claim over 180 on a road car should therefore be seeing sub 6secs 0-60?????
Err, not quite. Youve forgotten the fundamental difference between a road-going 172 and a Clio Cup race-car....the Sadev sequential gearbox. As you should well know, 0-60 times are affected by gear ratios and Ill put money on the fact that the race car has totally different ratios to the road car!

Quote:

Say again - the cup racer is a standard 172 with 172 BHP - like I said its remapped, got an open induction kit (not sealed) and a straight through exhaust system - this gives 8BHP more than standard to 180BHP - not alot - that my point! Were all deluding ourselves as to performance gains...
I think you are jumping to conclusions here....for all we know, Renault could have capped the BHP of the race engines to 180 for their own reasons - longevity and reliability over a seasons racing spring to mind.

Just because they chose to extract only 180bhp, this doesnt mean that this is the best they could do, nor does it mean you couldnt possibly extract more from a road-car 172 engine, which Im sure you could, given time and a lot of money!

At the end of the day, its pretty pointless comparing the 172 road car (including the 172 Cup) with a Clio Cup race car - they are totally different animals, built for entirely different purposes. What works on a race car is not necessarily worthwhile on a road car!

Read my earlier post sproperly I already said the sixspeed box accelerates the car to 100 in 10.5 and 60 in 6 secs, but my point was the engine is 180BHP due to the remap, exhaust and induction therefore induction kit on 172 will not on its own give anything more than 5BHP max, more like 2-3!!!!

And the cup racers induction kit is completely exposed to engine bay heat!!!!

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

My BMC CDA RRd at 148 bhp at the flywheel against a standard manufacturer claim of 137 bhp. 11 bhp extra from the CDA and Magnex cat back exhaust AFTER 65K miles. Not chipped it yet but this may also help.

Things do work but maybe not on all cars and you have to try 1st and not dismiss before you have done.

Ive got a Green Cotton induction kit off either a MK2 Astra or a Golf GTI (bought 2 at same time, and cant remember which one I put on). whacked it straight on instead of the airbox with a bit of cutting. Stuck a bit of silicone around it, and hey presto. Stuck a Pipercross Oil breather on the oil pipe.

Im not kidding myself that therell be any performance gains, but it sounds evil! :)

silver valver/hybrid

i got the hillpower induction kit, sounds awesome! cant tell if it made a performance gain cus i had the uprated chip at the same time. its great for annoying the nieghbours and there is a blokes nissan by me whos car alarm goes off everytime i drive past!

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Matty if your 16v was rolling roaded the flywheel figures calculated, the true figure is the at the wheels one. Did they give you that? If you had a run then got stuff fitted and re-run at the same place is the only way to get a realistic idea of an increase.

Quote: Originally posted by JJ172 on 22 November 2002

Quote:

At the end of the day, its pretty pointless comparing the 172 road car (including the 172 Cup) with a Clio Cup race car - they are totally different animals, built for entirely different purposes. What works on a race car is not necessarily worthwhile on a road car!
Errrmmm - wrong - they are not totaly different animals..................they are very comparable - read this months renault magazine or Evo for a comparison.................I thought the name 172 CUP would have made the resemblance between them alot easier to understand..................Oh and the cup is infact a track car - no denying that fact! All u need to do is fit a 6 speed seq. box and hey presto a cup racer! Think what your saying before fingers start movin....................

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Sorry mate but its a bit more than the gearbox

you gotta bin loads of stuff too (everything inside the car almost!!) then add new ecu and v6 racer instruments also the airbox is relocated behind the drivers side headlight and fed by a cold air feed in the light itself

the suspension is diffrent and the cambers are adjustable

brakes and wheels are diffrent too

roll cage needs to be added

so in actual fact the cup is a long way from a cup racer

Agreed with tom there is lots of difference..... you could make a Cup racer out of a normal clio just as easy as the cup..... But if you like doing track days etc then the cup is a blinding car as its as close as you can get and still pass a MOT to the cup racer