ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is involved with replacing a CV Boot?

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Could someone tell me what the process is for removal of an old cv boot to replace it with a new one? As in the stages of what you'd need to. I'd assume removal of the wheel first.

Its the offside I'm interested in if that matters.

Many thanks.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Is offside passenger side? I get confused. Sure fred etc will be along shortly, but drivers side is easier iirc, gearbox oil has to come out for passenger side. What's wrong with it? There were a few defects in mine, someone cleverer than me melted them shut!

Dodgy one
Is it split or has the clip just come off? could just stick a new clip on it its the latter

You can also buy the cheap boots which will allow you to replace the boot without stripping the shafts, They are shite mind.

Other than that you'l need to split the CV Slide a boot on and stick two new clips back on

Last edited:
  Dodgy one
You can get boots which are made of a different type of rubber and they'l stretch over the joint but i'm not sure if ours are like this as i've not fitted a Renault one

Suzuki Ignis
You'll need a special cone to fit it, so you can stretch the boot over the shaft.

Is it necessary to remove or disconnect the lower wishbone?

No

Easiest way it found it was to:
A)1)undo the hub nut (30mm socket)
2)take wheel off
3)undo the suspension damper bolts (19mm IIRC)
4)pull the hub towards you,push it left and wiggle the shaft out from the hub and then pull the whole thing toward you and then it out.

B)1)Cut off the old clips and boot
2)Slide the on the small clip
3)get one of these cones and grease it up with some table polish
4)turn the boot inside out and grease up what is now the inside (but is actually the outside)
5)Side it over
6)turn back the right way and wipe it clean with some degreaser especially the bits on each end that will need to grip the shaft.
7)squeeze the cv grease into the cv joint, wiggle it about and push it in through the gaps
8)again make sure the grip areas clean, then pull the larger end over the joint and clip it in place with grips
9)then clip the bottom one and pull the shaft the each side to make sure the it doesnt slip off.

Refit in reverse of part 'A'

Think thats it from what I can remember off the top of my head.

Wish I had taken photos when I did mine but I didnt.

-Matt

Suzuki Ignis
IMO dont bother with a s**t cheap boot, get a proper hard plastic one from renault for £12 I think.

Sorry I wasn't more specific. The retaining bolt for the lower suspension arm came off my car last night, meaning that the wheel became disconnected and the driveshaft came out of the bloody gearbox. I was just asking questions in case I had to get legal, but luckily the garage that replaced the front discs and cv boot a couple of weeks ago are fixing it without any hassle. Going to be without my motor for a few days which is annoying as I've been away for 5 months unable to drive it. :(

Monaco 53/468
thats s**t mate that it happened but good that the garage are dealing with it

another thing thats a bit s**t is not mentioning all the above before these kind people started writing a manual on how you can replace the boot, AND you haven't even thanked them!

Suzuki Ignis
Bloody ell, took me ages to type that last night lol
Sounds like they maybe forgot to tighten it up? What damage has been done?

I said thanks in my original post Steve.

Well, I'm not too sure, but the chaps put the driveshaft back into the gearbox and connected it together, and it appeared to be okay. It needs a new inner cv boot, and more annoyingly the whole offside of the car needs to be painted. This is due to the wing resting on the bloody wheel and cracking the paint. Bloody metallic paint.