ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what is it with shocks...

I keep seeing people here go on a bout shock absorbers as if they are some kind of tuning add on or tweak... huh ???.... they wont do ANYTHING for ya unles either your old ones were knackered, or you have lowered the car and the old one is binding....

if you select too high a damping factor, you loose performance in grip terms..

much apparant confusion........;)

true.....i had to get spax to custom make some for my XR2 and get custom springs made.......

BUT......you can lower the car and fit sports dampers (which are only ever the same strut tube but shorter and a 30% increase in compression and adjustable rebound damping rates.....NEVER EVER actually tested by the manufacturers.......despire what they say) and run them on the softest setting and feel an improvement.....but its down to luck and what surface you drive on.

yep, a shock absorber is deisgned to arrest motion (to all intents and purposes) after 1.5 rebounds.. thats it.. !! no magic.. no x-files..

you make it softer ??.. you .wallow.

harder ??... it takes MORE time for the wheels to respond to movement.. so it dont track ie - follow the undulation.....

shocks are designed fr YOUR CAR.. can u say that about aftermarket crap >>> ??.. what DOES 25 % uprated mean ??.. answer - usually uprating of the internal components to dissipate heat caused by the compression of gas or fluid... NOT 25% more damping etc...

Its mostly a con....

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

but if you want your car to look nice by lowering it isnt it up to you what you spend your money on, if you have an idea for you car which may be your pride and joy or if you go and do somthing and wish to share it you dont need somebody coming along and pissing on your fire do u ???

how would u like it if u did summit u were really pleased with or you wanted help with an idea you have and 90% of the people say its nice and then u get 1 person who thinks they know it all which they may do im not saying your wrong, maybee if you put it not quiet as harsh it wouldnt make the person feel bad.

i agree shocks are made for the car u buy aftermarket products may not be as good but it may make it look better feel better or handle better.

MaLicE

huh.. mr Malice... ?? dont see your point.. if you want it to look nice by lowering it.. then its not a performance increaser.. (tuning mod or tweak) (as I am refering to)

.. if you are buying them for looks then kewl..

if you are buying it to improve handling then you are probably wasting your dosh...

yo Ben, 30% increase in compression rate leads to less initital body roll and 30% less ability of the spring to respond.. it is better to get the correct springs first, then match the shocks to suit. (as you have done) - its the springs n geometry that make the thing work .. the shock plays an important but simple part only..

Quote: Originally posted by Captain Slarty on 03 October 2002

yo Ben, 30% increase in compression rate leads to less initital body roll and 30% less ability of the spring to respond.. it is better to get the correct springs first, then match the shocks to suit. (as you have done) - its the springs n geometry that make the thing work .. the shock plays an important but simple part only..

LOL.....

thats what i was saying..........hehe

i run pretty low rebound rates OTR.......and only a little higher on the track.....looking at an anti dive kit from BAT in the US.....sweet as.

Lionel Richie

Captian??? Why does my car bounce down the road???? hit a bump and you nearly take off (60mm drop on std dampers BTW)

Fred; Your dampers cant absorb the undulations in the road surface that the stiffer and shorter spring exagerates. Thats the trouble with these lowering springs, any kind of rough surface and it knocks your teeth out.

Captain; Im not sure that keeping the footprint on the road surface (gravel, tar,snow etc) is a simple part of the suspension set up, matching dampers to springs, roll bars and chassis can get the better of oh so many engineers...

I wouldnt give up my Proflex for anything. Imagine running tarmac damper inserts on gravel/loose surface. you would smash the car to pieces with the forces transmitted through the strutt as the dampers are too stiff.

Dont really know where im going with this, just commenting on experience!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

ok can you help me ???

i want to lower my car more than 35mm what do you think is the best kit i can get for 300 quid ?? ne ideas

MalicE