ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Is That Noise!! Help!

I own a 1.2 N reg Clio, it started making a clunking/scraping noise when driving in a straight line, you could kinda feel it through the car too, sounded like it was coming from front left wheel maybe?

Anyways, i was told it was a knackered diff inside gearbox due to speedo needle bouncing a lot,so ive just had a used gearbox fitted,as far as i know it was out of a car from a scrapyard so its not brand new.

Its still making that noise, changes gear fine, seems to make a deep noise going round right hand bends when theres pressure on left front wheel, could this just be wheel bearing or could it be related?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!! Thanks

Renault Laguna Coupe

Wheel bearing sounds favourite. Jack the car up and see whether you can feel any movement in the front wheel when you move it.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

^^ Agreed. Hold the wheel like a steering wheel at either side. Pull one hand towards you then the other side. See if theres any play.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Sounds like a bearing although I would describe it as a huming noise, not a scraping or clunking.

I managed to diagnose which wheel needed a new bearing by doing what chris just said. There was slightly more play in my offside one so I got that replaced and the problem went away, ofcourse now a rear bearing has gone but im fixing that myself today.

Ive had a worn wheel bearing before in my old clio and im almost certain its not that, ikll check it but i doubt it will be.

Its hard to describe the noise its like a knocking/clunking/ as if something is roatating but hopping out of place? i really need to get this sorted asap im having to drive a fiesta 1.1!!!! thanks for your help keep it coming lads :)