ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What lens ~ £150? Canon.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
As above, I know I won't get anything really worthwhile but as I all I have is a 50mm I really do need something else.

Thanks
Ant

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Canon 55-250 ISII. You'll find it for under that if you have a look online. Brilliant lens for the money.

Unless you want to go wide, then there are Opteka fisheye's for around that price (maybe a bit more, depending if you get stung on import tax), from America.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Going wide would be preferable, didn't know I could get a worthwhile one for the money though! Thanks :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The Opteka is a 6.5mm, full manual lens but its pretty easy to get to grips with. Had a play of my mates the other day (some pics in my Liverpool thread)

Samyang also make cheap fish eyes too.

The 10-20 is a fairly cheap lens in terms of wide angle, and got the best reviews when compared to similar price wide angle lenses iirc.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Manual focus and aperture settings (although most shots will be fine with infinity focus)

If you put it on a full frame, you will see a big black ring on the outside of the frame.

This is taken on a 550d (1.6 crop) so no black edges (if that's what you mean as fish eye/ normal?)

10204384635_385559b5b7_c.jpg

Liverpool by A_Cro, on Flickr

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I get ya, it's just, if I bought that over a 10-20 I can't help but think I'd be bored of the "style" of picture it produces, the 10-20 seems to have a little more versatility?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Oh the 10-20 is a much better all round lens but it's 2-3 times the price so it's a bit of a compromise.

You have a bit of zoom with it, are able to fit filters to it and it's got auto focus although that's not really an issue with most things you'd shoot IMO.

The fisheye is fixed, no filters that I'm aware of and manual aperture and focus. But has a lower F number (3.5 to the Sigmas 4)

Have to way up the pros and cons but for Scrooge's budget it's a no brainer if he wants wide angle unless he can find an absolute bargain Sigma/Tamron.