ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What made you buy a clio

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
In the 1st place, whats the story behind your 1st clio?

I lernt to drive in one, then when i wrote off my 205 i got one as a curtesy car then i bought a 1.2

RB 200 Cup!
just browsing auottrader one day - saw my dynamique and fell in love - bought the car three days later lol

mrk 1 rsi
just seen a mk.1 1.2 when i went 2 look at a diffrent car an i always liked them and i brought it there n then n im on my second one now

Meg on pistonheads £6995
Had no intention of buying one - loved my 19RSi Turbo D but was getting fed up with 5K service intervals

Popped into the dealer to get a quote for next service (to aim for half that from an independent!)

Spotted the Clio dCi with 18K servicing and then read Diesel Car "Small Diesel of the Year - pulls like a 2.0 petrol midrange"

Worked out I that I could throw it away after 80K cos (even taken loan into account) the servicing, insurance and diesel saved compared to the 19 (5K intervals, 8 gps higher ins, 15mpg less) would pay for it!

A hot week with no air con sealed it!

Mondeo TDCI 130
Work for renault, smiles per gallon i reckon there hard to beat! plus i can fix it old el cheapo!

Shed.
Autntie had one, sold it to my mum, now ive got it. Wasnt obsessed with clios back then and i was very pleased to have it at the time. not like now.

SMURF!!!
Just went for a test drive in a 197 - liked them, but didnt even have a job when i went to test drive it (just finished being a student, so wanted a rest :rasp: ) so had no intention of buying one.

Big mistake i made, was taking my boyfriend with me - i came out with a receipt for the deposit paid for a racing blue 197! :eek:

clio 172 mk1
i bought mine as i wanted a faster car i actualy wanted a skyline but insurance was gonna be 4k so next on my list was a 172, well happy

Meg on pistonheads £6995
considered cancelling order when Mini One D came out, but drove it

better built & holds value better, but no spec, slow, thirsty, v. expensive....

Cup'd Monaco 172
I needed a realiable car that handled like my 205gti and couldn't afford a civic type r.

Its close on both accounts.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
always wanted one from b4 i cud drive, theyre well styled, not chavvy and good money.

got my 1.4s when i passed at 18, ran it for a year and got the cup, best car for the money, easy!

RS 172
just as started out driving my old boss had one of the early 172's, he used to take me out in it and i loved it! then my mum got a little 1.2 RT just liked the feel and was a nice drive so after a couple of my own pieces of crap i decided i could afford the insurance and got me a 172! had it for a little while now and i love getting in it every day! couple more years and i'll have a go with a v6, but more than happy with what i've got now!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
i work for renault, i wanted a fast car, 172 was perfect option.

106 GTi
Had always had pretty much owned French Hot Hatches, be it Peugeot's - but they lost the way come the 206, and both 138 and 180's where no where to go when it came to upgrading as I found them both poo.

I had just sold my 205 GTi and was bored of my 306 XSi and wanted a new car that went someway to having the the refinement of the 306 and the drive/fun of the 205.

After a spur of the moment visit to Renault one Saturday morning to see what the Clio was all about as I had always liked the 172 Cup, the following weekend ended up in a test drive of a 182, after that I had to have one and the order was placed a few days later.

LY V6 with Recaros
Had just got a full time job, and I knew lloyds tsb carselect had some good deals on cars. I always liked the 1*2's, so had a look at the price and spec of them and was really suprised at how cheap I could get one and how many toys they had. Was basically best and fasted car I could get for the money, and all the reviews I read on them were good!

182 RB FF
Fell in love when i first saw the 182, but i was only 17 at the time, so first car i had a cheap run around then got a 1.2 clio and now have my 182. Not sure what it is about them just loved the shape of them, nothing else came close to it imo.

Broken Diesel Megane :(
drove justins 182 cup, loved it. that night went home browsed the net(tuesday), bought my 172 cup on the saturday. fell in love with it on the blast back from newcastle :D

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
My 1st car was an R5 had it nearly 4 year, i crashed it in snow one january into a tree, i thought the worst and paniced and went look for a new straight away cos i didnt think my beloved r5 would repair desipite the fact i drove it home and it was fine. i didnt like any other cars other then a clio or an ibiza at the time, but the clio RSi was the cheapest alround so thats what i got, then i found out the r5 was repairable quiet easy so got it fix and sold it al :)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Had a 172 for a year, test drove loads of other makes.
Decided on a cupped 182, then saw a trophy in sainsbury's had a look & was biten.
£ for £ one of the best cars on the road ;)

Renault Clio MTV 1.2 16v
when i first passed my test i was just desperate to get on the road.
never really considered a clio but found one on auto trader one day and thus the love affair began!:cool:

Clio v6
I had 3 Saxo VTS's and they were all s**t slow so I wanted something that was really fast. Bought a 172 MK1.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
my gearbox in my Astra (g) 2.2SRI went up in smoke and needed a car quick. clio was the quickes to 60 in my budget. had a 1.2 1995 oasis as my first car and nothing went wrong with it so i went for the clio.

Clio 182
bought my 1.2 dynamique new when I started working - out of a fiesta, corsa, saxo/c2 it was definately the right choice.
went a bit sensible with a saab 93 for work after that - which lasted 6 months until my mate got a 172 cup and I realised something must be done ;) so it was 2 weeks later

Williams 1
got offered a very cheap low mileage williams 1 off my rich boss, had a saxo vtr and am only young cos always liked french cars and next on list was a 306 gti6 till the willy came up for sale and decided i would buy the willy and sell it for a profit to buy my gti-6.........

then i drove it, loved it put my saxo vtr in my garage and neva looked at it again lol, oh and the 1st day i was out in the willy i got pulled over by a lad offering me £1000 more than i had just payed for it but now im never going to sell it, going to buy a gti-6 aswell as the willy :)

RenaultSport 197
I stacked my last car and needed a new 1. With my insurance every insurer I went to I could only afford upto a 1.4, anything bigger and they just laughed at me lol. So came across this lovely car and snapped it up! Age, mileage and spec just couldn't resist - and id never driven a Renault before :p

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Wanted an e36 m3, but couldnt justify the £2k insurance..... read the knowledge section in evo, saw they'd given the 182 5 stars and went out and bought one!:cool: