ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What premium tyres with comfort in mind?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Any recommendations on a premium tyre that's best for comfort? I still want good performance, not something super soft, like many suggest the Goodyear Efficient Grips to be, but it's for a daily and I'd like a bit more smoothness.

245/40/18 for an Audi TT.

I've always had P-Zero's on the Clio, but I'd imagine they're considered quite hard?

Falken FK510 are cracking tyres at budget prices. Got them on my Mondeo ST and on my Missus Scenic and really rate them for the money. I'm like yourself hate a stiff sidewalled tyre for road use.

Got Ps4's on the Skoda and they're to stiff for me on the road especially now they're near the limit.

Something like a conti premium or Goodyear assey 3's would be another good shout but a bit more expensive.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Continental premium contact 6 is worth a look - is supposed to blend the ride comfort and refinement of the premium contact 5 with the “sporty” driving characteristics (sharp turn in, grip, etc) of the sport contact 5. Reviews suggest that it does.

PH2 172
Avon ZV7`s

Good tyres at a good price that never come near top of the tests.

If they cost more, they could have.

You want a little more sausage John?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
See, a few of the suggestions here I'd assume would be quite hard. Things like PS4s are more handling focused than ride?

I'll give the Conti's a look, but there's so many of them now it's a bit like all the toothpastes that claim to be revolutionary.

Are the Goodyear Eagle F1's good? What about the P-Zero GT?

I'd definitely err on the side of comfort, because I spend 95% of my time driving to and from work in traffic.

PH2 172
See, a few of the suggestions here I'd assume would be quite hard. Things like PS4s are more handling focused than ride?

I'll give the Conti's a look, but there's so many of them now it's a bit like all the toothpastes that claim to be revolutionary.

I'd definitely err on the side of comfort, because I spend 95% of my time driving to and from work in traffic.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s32...Eff_:_C_Wet_Grip:_B_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB

Got the F1 3's on the rear of the Skoda which I'm going to rotate today with the PS4's so i can let you know the difference later. I've had the F1 2's on the MPS i had and they were a comfortable good all round tyre so expect these the same.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
P-Zero GT's on my mrs's polo gti (230bhp) are pretty bad. They wouldn't be what I'd class as a comfortable tyre either. I've PS3's on the front and Rainsport 3 XL's (Extra load, stiffer sidewalls) on the rear of the 172. I need to swap them soon so it'll be interesting to see the difference between a £45 tyre and a £100 tyre on the front.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I've gone with the Conti PremiumContact 6.

I've managed to get four fitted, mobile service at my work, for £456.78 + 3.15% cashback, so I'm pretty happy with that.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Dunlop Bluereponse are really comfortable and very quiet - probably the quietest tyre I've used - but they're not as good handling/grip wise as such as the conti's, michelins, etc. They're not bad by any means, just not up there.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I made a bit of a mistake and went with XL, so I'm gonna ask them to downgrade to normal, because the car doesn't need XL and I don't want stiffer sidewalls.

Bit late but just changed the Goodyear's to the front and they are much more comfortable without sacrificing to much performance.

Once again though just like the 2's before them show them some really enthusiastic driving and they disintegrate on the outer shoulders.

This was after 30 minutes really pushing them...

20180722_133833.jpg

I'd be buying eagle F1s, its what I've run on dailys for the last 200k.

Rainsports are softer in the sidewall but the tread design is noisier. I wouldnt be spending the extra for continentals on a daily and I dont like Michelins car tyres, they seem very prone to cracking (love their bike tyres, but they live in a dark garage)

Bit late but just changed the Goodyear's to the front and they are much more comfortable without sacrificing to much performance.

Once again though just like the 2's before them show them some really enthusiastic driving and they disintegrate on the outer shoulders.

This was after 30 minutes really pushing them...

View attachment 1376640
That's interesting, never seen that before! was this on track? I've given mine dogs abuse on a fairly heavy car and the only sign is some feathering of the outer tread block as you'd expect

That's interesting, never seen that before! was this on track? I've given mine dogs abuse on a fairly heavy car and the only sign is some feathering of the outer tread block as you'd expect
No mate just some b road blasts. Had exactly the same issue with the 2's on my 6MPS as well. Ended up putting in a claim with Goodyear as well who fobbed me off royally after me sending them back the tyres. They said no issues and if I wanted to take it further I'd have to pay for a independent evaluation of the tyres.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
This is interesting, I've put assy 3s on the back of my E92 and had my share of B road fun since they went on. Not checked the tyres but I'm defo going to have a look now!

Its definitely a bit weird as its not like the tyres are rolling over onto the sidewalls. When I received the 2's back from GY (They where well worse than these) instead of binning them I paid for 30 laps of 3 sisters to burn them up to which I only managed 10 before the tyres were totally delaminated on the shoulders and were toast.

Definitely not a tyre to use on a dry track day that's for sure.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be buying eagle F1s, its what I've run on dailys for the last 200k.

Rainsports are softer in the sidewall but the tread design is noisier. I wouldnt be spending the extra for continentals on a daily and I dont like Michelins car tyres, they seem very prone to cracking (love their bike tyres, but they live in a dark garage)
The Conti's were the same price, I had a code for 5% off.