ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Renault Sport

MK1 Mexico, Clio 172
Looking to get back in the fold. Had a long line of fast motors but always had a soft spot for the slowest of them all, my 172 Cup, admittedly it had AST2 suspension, r888's etc.
I bought an e46 m3 in December and don't use it, i have 1yo and 3yo kids which limits free time. I'm going to sell this, pocket some cash and spend up to 3.5 - 4k, i could spend less though and go and get another 172 which i'd be happy with. Any other suggestions of what alternatives to view? I have no knowledge of other models i.e. 197/200, Meganes etc.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This thread will just fill up with people's opinions. So won't really help you.

If you've not driven any of the meg's, 197/200's etc, get out and have a go in a few.

You could also look at a Clio Trophy? They are rising in value fast so if you buy wisely it could be an investment as well as a car.

Me personally, I love the Ph1 172 and the Megane R26's.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'd be looking at a Megane r26.

The 197/200s are brilliant drivers cars but I couldn't recommend one because of how bad they are as dailies and how slow they are on track.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
R26. 1*2's feel pretty old these days (albeit fun!). 200's are decent, but an R26 is better in every respect.

But I'd drive a few, you might prefer a 200!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
As @Daniel mentions it's all a matter of personal preference. Me I'd be looking for a mk1 16v or Williams not technically RS but from the before time. However both likely to appreciate and much more evocative than any of the later Renault and more usable than any of the earlier.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be looking at a Megane r26.

The 197/200s are brilliant drivers cars but I couldn't recommend one because of how bad they are as dailies and how slow they are on track.

I wouldn't say the 197/200's are slow, Plenty running 8's or less at the Ring.

MK1 Mexico, Clio 172
Just had a look at r26's, anything with reasonable mileage seems to be 6 -8k

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

Rusty Cup
For me the Clio 200 (cup) only made sense when it was on ( or some where near) the limit. In that scenario it was the most rewarding car I've ever driven. 98.9% of the time I hated almost everything about it.

These days I drive a 172 cup but dream about K swapped civics! What's not to love!

172 Turbo
As much as I love my Clio, build cost is higher than buying an R26, if it's got to do daily duties it'd be the Meg. If it's a toy, I'd go for a decent 172/182.

MK1 Mexico, Clio 172
My three year old son wants me to get a Clio 197 in that bright green. I think i should stop listening to family members

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Alien Green is one of the more sought after colours so would be a good choice! Only available on 200's I think.

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
You can get the Meg in a 5-door can't you?

Makes it abit more useful day to day if you've got 2 kids than a Clio would be.