ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to go for Linux Or Xp Operating System ?

I am currently looking for a Netbook/Mini Laptop.

I have seen some of them run Linux operating systems and some run Windows Xp.

What and the pros and cons of each system ?

And would things saved from a Linux ran Laptop be compatible with Windows Vista, Xp etc etc

And would Vista, Xp saved stuff be compatible with Linux ?

When i say stuff, by that i mean music, video and word processing files.

I'd go into the likes of Comet, Pc World etc but they dont fill me with confidence.

I feel all they want to do is sell me what they want not what i want and spin me a heap of Bullshit when i ask questions :(

BMW F31
you can listen to mp3's and view jpegs etc on linux or xp/vista, there's usually linux alternatives or versions of software which you get for windows.

i bought an eee pc 2-3 weeks ago, never touched a linux machine before, but i'm converted :)

got rid of the restrictive xandros and installed ubuntu eee on it, the advantages on a netbook are that linux takes circa 30secs to boot from cold to desktop and windows takes a fair bit longer, plus if you dont nlite xp you'll find it takes up massively more space on your hdd/ssd.

tbh, i got linux because i didnt want to pay the extra £30-40 for xp, and i'm glad i didnt bother tbh :)

you can listen to mp3's and view jpegs etc on linux or xp/vista, there's usually linux alternatives or versions of software which you get for windows.

i bought an eee pc 2-3 weeks ago, never touched a linux machine before, but i'm converted :)

got rid of the restrictive xandros and installed ubuntu eee on it, the advantages on a netbook are that linux takes circa 30secs to boot from cold to desktop and windows takes a fair bit longer, plus if you dont nlite xp you'll find it takes up massively more space on your hdd/ssd.

tbh, i got linux because i didnt want to pay the extra £30-40 for xp, and i'm glad i didnt bother tbh :)

Ok cheers mate.

Can you watch Videos/movies on it ?

Where did you get your and how much ?

BMW F31
yeah you can watch videos and youtube etc.

i got mine from here http://www.povdirect.co.uk/INU_Prod...tel-Mobile-/-1gb-16gb-Ssd-8.9-tft-Linux-White i got that colour but they dont have any in stock, they do have black though, i have heard of people getting the 900a slightly cheaper not sure where from though.

i would also take a look at the dell mini 9 and possibly acer aspire one, make sure its go a decent amount of ram and the processor is an atom. depends on what you want it to do as to how big your hard drive will be but i opted for the 16GB SSD version.

tbh HP and asus and probably others will be selling thier netbooks with the atom dual core at some point next year which will make them even faster, so decide if you need one right now :)

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
Are you going to buy a new laptop with the OS already installed, or are you planning on installing whatever OS you choose yourself?

There should be no issues in watching videos & listening to music between each OS, and I'm fairly sure that there are applications for the windows filetypes on Linux.

yeah you can watch videos and youtube etc.

i got mine from here http://www.povdirect.co.uk/INU_Prod...tel-Mobile-/-1gb-16gb-Ssd-8.9-tft-Linux-White i got that colour but they dont have any in stock, they do have black though, i have heard of people getting the 900a slightly cheaper not sure where from though.

i would also take a look at the dell mini 9 and possibly acer aspire one, make sure its go a decent amount of ram and the processor is an atom. depends on what you want it to do as to how big your hard drive will be but i opted for the 16GB SSD version.

tbh HP and asus and probably others will be selling thier netbooks with the atom dual core at some point next year which will make them even faster, so decide if you need one right now :)

Ok cheers mate, how is the hard drive faring up space wise ?

By that i mean with all your apps loaded on the laptop and running ?

Are you going to buy a new laptop with the OS already installed, or are you planning on installing whatever OS you choose yourself?

There should be no issues in watching videos & listening to music between each OS, and I'm fairly sure that there are applications for the windows filetypes on Linux.

Na i'd preferably have the Os loaded up.

Last edited:
  BMW F31
its fine still got around 11gb free, thats with ubuntu eee installed and a fair few apps.

also got a 2gb sd card which is useful but you could stick a 16/32gb in it and double or triple your space and boot your os from that or boot apps from it too. :)

its fine still got around 11gb free, thats with ubuntu eee installed and a fair few apps.

also got a 2gb sd card which is useful but you could stick a 16/32gb in it and double or triple your space and boot your os from that or boot apps from it too. :)

Cool :)

Take it, it has a card slot ?

Mountune Tractor
I'd stick with Linux, once you have got used to it you will be fine. XP slows down those netbooks like you wouldn't believe!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Tweak ubuntu a bit and you can get it to boot in < 10 seconds like I did ;)

and to answer an earlier question, yes ubuntu can read the windows file system.. infact you can now safely read/write ntfs aswell.

SLK 350
I'd stick with Linux, once you have got used to it you will be fine. XP slows down those netbooks like you wouldn't believe!

I call bull...

The 4 Eee 904 we have run XP fine, and I mean absolutely so. Tried both full install and nlited editions - no complaints.

We use them for adhoc work, testing ports and remotely connecting over 3G to our Citrix farm.

If you go Linux (or Windows), for media download VLC player. It'll play near on anything.

BMW F31
Tweak ubuntu a bit and you can get it to boot in < 10 seconds like I did ;)

and to answer an earlier question, yes ubuntu can read the windows file system.. infact you can now safely read/write ntfs aswell.

do tell :)

any other tips to cut down the os? i was looking forward to ubuntu eee 8.10 but i have heard the graphics on the 900's will be crap due to buggy software contained within 8.10.

think i might wait till 9.04?

UR R26
well from my personal experience.

Linux is a much better operating system, but there is a drawback. Most programmes arnt compatable.

Xp is obviously the opposite.

I bought a netbook yesterday, I would advise you to get yours from john lewis because you get a free 2 year warranty, which would cost £££'s from pc world and comet.

Punto/Clio GTT
i tried ubuntu and it was alright. you have to show it how to do EVERYTHING though, that was the only downside for me. its a lot of f**king about, wheras windows is just switch on and play.

if you can be bothered with all the messing about that comes with ubuntu then go for it. if you want everything in the box running from install then go xp/vista.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Thats weird, I found it to be the exact opposite.

Ubuntu installed all my drivers, including my nvidia graphics card, sound etc.

Windows I had I tell it where to get everything and do it all manually.

BMW 328 Ci
Ive loaded Ubuntu Linux onto an old Laptop I have, I work in IT so I thought i better learn how to use the thing.

Pros are of course it is free and seems very stable, I still wouldnt use it as an everyday thing though. I think it depends how techie you are, if you can program and think like a programmer then its ideal, if your not I think Windows is still the way.

I would consider myself to have good computing skills, but not a programmer. Still it took me hours to get it on the internet, as the laptop had no wireless card, only a Wireless USB dongle. No Linux drivers anywhere so had to go through long process of installing the windows drivers via the terminal window (ie writing the programming commands), and then installing ndiswrapper. Thing is dispite all the many internet posts, not one told you that ndiswrapper was on the OS Disk and not already on the computer!
Got it working eventually.

WMV videos do not play well, they go grainy.

There are about 10 updates to install every day (you dont have to, any many are quick, but still - bundle??)

A lot of things are reliant on community support online, and while there is a lot out there, its not always great, a lot of them do the age old programmer thing of assuming you know what they do talking about highly technical things or commands.

And in general, im just so used to windows and how it works, I have trained myself to do things so quickly, its like trying to learn again.

It depends what you want, an IT adventure go Linux, something to use every day Windows. And if your a cheapskate Linux.

Not a Clio
You don't need any kind of programming skills to use Linux. You just need half a brain and some patience to learn how to use a new OS. Even my Mrs can use a Linux OS. The only reason I use Windows at the moment is gaming.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ive loaded Ubuntu Linux onto an old Laptop I have, I work in IT so I thought i better learn how to use the thing.

Pros are of course it is free and seems very stable, I still wouldnt use it as an everyday thing though. I think it depends how techie you are, if you can program and think like a programmer then its ideal, if your not I think Windows is still the way.

I would consider myself to have good computing skills, but not a programmer. Still it took me hours to get it on the internet, as the laptop had no wireless card, only a Wireless USB dongle. No Linux drivers anywhere so had to go through long process of installing the windows drivers via the terminal window (ie writing the programming commands), and then installing ndiswrapper. Thing is dispite all the many internet posts, not one told you that ndiswrapper was on the OS Disk and not already on the computer!
Got it working eventually.

WMV videos do not play well, they go grainy.

There are about 10 updates to install every day (you dont have to, any many are quick, but still - bundle??)

A lot of things are reliant on community support online, and while there is a lot out there, its not always great, a lot of them do the age old programmer thing of assuming you know what they do talking about highly technical things or commands.

And in general, im just so used to windows and how it works, I have trained myself to do things so quickly, its like trying to learn again.

It depends what you want, an IT adventure go Linux, something to use every day Windows. And if your a cheapskate Linux.

See, that's were your wrong.. I don't use linux because i'm cheap (some may argue ;)) and you don't need to be a programmer to use it EG. My mum uses linux and she barely knows how to turn it on lol. I use it because its highly stable, totally customisible in every way and does everything I want it to do.

My job is running Linux servers and I find them a joy to work with, I also have to work with windows servers but they just piss me off on a daily basis, basically needing attention every day.

It more because you are used to the windows way of doing things than the Linux way. There is a learning curve for sure, but Linux will teach you more about computers and how they work than windows ever can.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
You don't need any kind of programming skills to use Linux. You just need half a brain and some patience to learn how to use a new OS. Even my Mrs can use a Linux OS. The only reason I use Windows at the moment is gaming.

Gaming is still a bit of a let down on Linux, they seem to focus on getting windows versions to run on linux than actual linux version of games...

But I have a PS3 for gaming so I don't notice it. In the past I have had great success running windows games through wine and in some cases they ran better in linux than in windows.

With every release of Ubuntu it just gets better and better, I remember the time I used to spend trying to accomplish certain tasks, wireless stuff was a bit of a hit or miss for example... now it it just works (although I would have to say im still not a fan of Network Manager)

BMW 328 Ci
Maybe I was just bitter after spending so long just trying to get the dam thing online.

I can see why it would be excellent for servers etc. For it to be truely successful it needs proper support from the software manufacturers to not be a hassle to install stuff to it.

Mountune Tractor
I call bull...

The 4 Eee 904 we have run XP fine, and I mean absolutely so. Tried both full install and nlited editions - no complaints.

We use them for adhoc work, testing ports and remotely connecting over 3G to our Citrix farm.

If you go Linux (or Windows), for media download VLC player. It'll play near on anything.

I've only ever seen it on one machine before, maybe you created a cleaner install.
Fair play but my only experience of these was good on linux and average on xp.

SLK 350
The nlited edition was 125mb, pretty chopped down. But they're running full installs now with a couple of things removed (games etc). I thought they'd struggle, but seemingly not.

Be nice when they release the new mobile CPU's, they sound pretty sweet.

Not a Clio
Gaming is still a bit of a let down on Linux, they seem to focus on getting windows versions to run on linux than actual linux version of games...

But I have a PS3 for gaming so I don't notice it. In the past I have had great success running windows games through wine and in some cases they ran better in linux than in windows.

With every release of Ubuntu it just gets better and better, I remember the time I used to spend trying to accomplish certain tasks, wireless stuff was a bit of a hit or miss for example... now it it just works (although I would have to say im still not a fan of Network Manager)

I hate console gaming, it's a keyboard and mouse for me. I checked earlier to see what the state of gaming on Linux via Cedega was these days and non of my recent purchases would run. It's such a shame that games manufacturers don't produce native versions for Linux but it's understandable. I know ID and Epic used to, not sure if that's still the case? We shouldn't have to be restricted though on what will currently install and play.

Mountune Tractor
The nlited edition was 125mb, pretty chopped down. But they're running full installs now with a couple of things removed (games etc). I thought they'd struggle, but seemingly not.

Be nice when they release the new mobile CPU's, they sound pretty sweet.

Sweet, I might invest in the near future

Punto/Clio GTT
Thats weird, I found it to be the exact opposite.

Ubuntu installed all my drivers, including my nvidia graphics card, sound etc.

Windows I had I tell it where to get everything and do it all manually.

pmsl, cmon dude, you want me to find the thread where you and J had to guide me through seriously basic stuff to get it to work.

all the coding you have to learn to enable things to work.

ubuntu is 100% fuckabout and not plug and play LOL

Ubuntu 8.04 and newer installs on my laptop (Dell D420) and EVERYTHING works.

SD reader, wireless, sound, graphics, suspend, hibernate, battery/charging stuff, bluetooth - everything.. and that's without doing anything apart from installing it.

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
pmsl, cmon dude, you want me to find the thread where you and J had to guide me through seriously basic stuff to get it to work.

all the coding you have to learn to enable things to work.

ubuntu is 100% f**kabout and not plug and play LOL

Ubuntu 8.04 and newer installs on my laptop (Dell D420) and EVERYTHING works.

SD reader, wireless, sound, graphics, suspend, hibernate, battery/charging stuff, bluetooth - everything.. and that's with doing anything apart from installing it.

DCi
I think I am going to get an Eee PC, stick ubuntu on it... for the sake of learning. I'm sure I'll be back in this thread if I get stuck lol

Punto/Clio GTT
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=257340&highlight=ubuntu&page=5

right ima go clean the guinea pigs as this is boring me atm.

i found this which is supposed to sort the problem with 8800gts, apparantly loads of people have the problem.

How I got the latest NVIDIA 100.14.11 drivers installed

Tip: press <TAB> to complete long file or directory names where possible, ie. NVIDIA<TAB>

1) Download the latest driver from www.nvidia.com, and save it to your home directory, eg. ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run

2) Exit out of Gnome by pressing <CTRL-ALT-F6>, login at the prompt, and type: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop (Gnome should stop).

3) Backup your current xorg.conf file: sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg_backup.conf

4) Enter the following commands:
sudo apt-get remove nvidia* linux-restricted-modules*
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) \ build-essential pkg-config xorg-dev
sudo sh ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run

Follow prompts, selecting Y or ACCEPT to everything (ignore any warnings such as 'Unable to check for libGL.so.1')

5) Extract the libwfb files from the Nvidia driver package: sh ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run -x

Copy the wfb module over:
cd ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg2/usr/X11R6/lib/modules
sudo cp libnvidia-wfb.so.100.14.11 /usr/lib/xorg/modules

Change directories and create a link:
cd /usr/lib/xorg/modules
sudo ln -s libnvidia-wfb.so.100.14.11 libwfb.so

6) Fix the lrm-video file:
cd /etc/modprobe.d
sudo chmod go=rw lrm-video
sudo vim lrm-video

Comment out the 'nvidia' line by pressing the following keys in this order:
<DOWN> <DOWN> i # <ESC><ESC> : x <ENTER>
To examine the edited file, type:
cat lrm-video
It should now look like this:
install fglrx /sbin/lrm-video fglrx $CMDLINE_OPTS
#install nvidia /sbin/lrm-video nvidia $CMDLINE_OPTS
install nvidia_legacy /sbin/lrm-video nvidia_legacy $CMDLINE_OPTS
install nvidia_new /sbin/lrm-video nvidia_new $CMDLINE_OPTS

Change permissions back to read-only with:
sudo chmod go=r lrm-video

7) Now restart Gnome with sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start (You should hopefully see an Nvidia logo flash on screen).
NB. At this point my top taskbar disappeared, so I pressed Alt-F2 (Run App) and chose Terminal to open a window)

You may see a warning about (not) using 'restricted drivers' - click to get rid of it.

Open a terminal prompt and type sudo nvidia-settings

Click on the 'X Server Display Configuration' option, then set your resolution and colour depth as appropriate. (If you set it to 'auto', it should switch to your max.
resolution automatically). NB: I was in high res at this point, and it detected my monitor, but the screen was quite fuzzy / badly aliased. Continue anyway.

Don't forget to click on the 'Save to X Configuration File' button to make sure your settings are stored for next time.

8) If you know what you're doing, you might want to tidy up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file at this point, removing the old & now unwanted monitor, device & screen sections.
From the terminal prompt, type sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

As a rough guide, keep the sections with the identifiers 'Monitor0', 'Videocard0' and 'Screen0'. (Or leave it alone (which is what I did); it still seems to work OK).

lot of talk about ubuntu but no walking as of yet, a big let down for me.

GRUB is the bootloader (GRand Unified Bootloader)

Don't worry about reinstalling. When I first started out, the ubuntu CD was permanently in my drive lol

it crashed halfway through installing the thing you said and now when i goto add/remove i get this

ran that, it fixed everything, but when i go to add/remove it still comes up with the error

"Windows - Where do you want to go today?"
"Linux - It's a lot of f**king about".

;)

KDF you may want to have a drink before you commence reading ;)

After 2 years of Linux loving I've gone back to windows. :eek:

Although WINE/Cedega has come a long way, it seems I'm just unlucky and none of my windows only games are supported. I have a console but have always preferred the old keyboard and mouse.

So, I'm currently running a fully updated XP Pro with the playschool theme turned off and a custom classic theme. Had a few errors and crashes before all the updates had finished but everything seems to be fine now.

As much as it pains me to say it, it's actually booting and shutting down quicker than my Ubuntu install did. The only addition I have on startup is antivirus.

The only thing I'm lacking is the ability to have a wallpaper over dual screens. Nvidia has decided that for this option both monitors have to be the same resolution which isn't possible when one is a 22" widescreen and the other is a normal 17".

Apart from the wallpaper which I can live without I have no compalints so far. Hopefully it will stay stable this time and I won't return to the familiar pattern of reinstalls.

I have to say that Black & White 2 with everything on high is rather pretty. The last time I played this game my pc was a tad outdated and even with low settings it was stuttery.

Fear not though opensource fans. I am still running Firefox, OpenOffice and The GIMP :)

Not sure whether to bother with Vista or not?

/thread