ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do? Broken imac related q

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
So my trusty 2008 24" iMac packed in is evening. Green pixels appeared on the screen, it froze, tried to reboot and it won't get past the chimes and grey Apple logo. Tried all sorts of resets and fsck but to no avail, a further google suggests that others had issues with the same gpu as me (8800gs 512mb).
I'm in the predicament of do I scrap it and get a new machine, or fork out £340 plus VAT and labour for a new graphics chip?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
So my trusty 2008 24" iMac packed in is evening. Green pixels appeared on the screen, it froze, tried to reboot and it won't get past the chimes and grey Apple logo. Tried all sorts of resets and fsck but to no avail, a further google suggests that others had issues with the same gpu as me (8800gs 512mb).
I'm in the predicament of do I scrap it and get a new machine, or fork out £340 plus VAT and labour for a new graphics chip?

Bit shite if you ask me, it's not exactly old.

I'd just sell it on eBay and get a new one.

Nissan 350z
^ That. £340+ for a component on an almost 4yr old system thats out of warranty isnt worth it.

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Thanks, going to get a few quotes anyway and then make a decision.

2014 Focus Titanium
This is exactly why I will never have a Mac, lovely thought they are. If I had a 2008 PC with an 8800GS and the GPU broke, it would cost me £20 to replace. Pointlessly over-expensive.

Why so expensive? Apple tax?!

How much is the part alone from ebuyer ? Taking apart imacs isn't hard.

DIY !

Bespoke parts y0.

IIRC only one of the 2008 24" iMacs has an interchangeable card. Still, it's not an off the shelf one and is circa £350 just for that.

On the rest the graphics are part of the main logic board.