ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats best 15’s or 16’s

which size alloy is gona give me the best results for my motor. its already been lowered and i wana keep the great handling, whilst having the looks that big alloys give. does anyone know if fox racing wheels are available in 16" by 6.5"wide,(am i right in thinking that 7"wide alloys might rub?) as im thinking of getting some cos some of the styles look alright, but if not then its gona have to be a set of 15s in the same style so that i keep the handling and prevent scrubbing etc.

any opinions welcome

I had 15s and 16s on my non-wide arch Clio Mk1 - the 15s handled and fitted better. The 16s rubbed like crazy and the handling (not to be confused with grip) was not as good.

Ive got some wide 16s and the grip is really good. As for handling its difficult to tell as ive had other stuff done too, but to be honest i didnt notice too much difference, its harder to unstick thats for sure.

Mines alway understeered, i guess its unavoidable in a fwd, the 16s didnt seem to make a lot of difference there, maybe a little.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Big for me Steve, especially after pumping my 15s up to 35psi it can get a lot more grip round corners in the dry; actually feels more likely to oversteer! :cool:

I might have to stick the old wheels back on to compare. One thing i really noticed this morning is the increased confidence i have in going round fast corners.

The clio seems to lift quite a lot at high speeds, especially at the front, somehow the wider wheels have a much more positive turn in, meaning that im not sh*tting myself everytime i go round a fast bend.

Can someone explain to me how 16s as opposed to 15s can change the balance? Im not saying it doesnt happen, i just want to know how.

One things for sure, the lighter the wheels the better, so technically i suppose it is best to go for something like 15" super Ls

Youl find that the Phase2 16v wheels (which are in fact Speedline Vegas) are probably the lightest wheels youll find that look any good in 15" size for the 16v. Theres no point getting aftermarket wheels for the 16v unless you want to for a bigger size as they wont look any better than the standard 15" wheels IMO!

Yeah, but that might also have something to do with the fact that it was a 205 GTi!

I also run 195 rubber on my original 15s.