ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats the most bhp anyones got out of a 1.2 8v?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
^^^ yep thats the way its done! lol. and if you crash it, get it home somehow, and put the old parts back on, or just take the new bits off...say they must have fell off in the crash...

BETTER YET! dont crash it!!

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Sorry to bring this thread back up, I'm after doing a rebuild on my spare 1.2 8v engine from my Mk1 Clio, it's the mpi engine and I'm looking to completely strip it and build it up bottom to top,

Where can I get fast road cams and other updated engine bits and bobs?? Not looking to go mental just a bit better than my 58bhp!!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
everything will need to be custom really nothing out there for these smaller engines (for good reason i suppose) standard cam reprofiled will probably be the best bet

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
When I had one I just threw a K&N cone filter on because the standard intake system is redonkulas. It has about 15 corners.
Seemed to improve the midrange a fair bit...but it still wasn't fast

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
When I had one I just threw a K&N cone filter on because the standard intake system is redonkulas. It has about 15 corners.
Seemed to improve the midrange a fair bit...but it still wasn't fast
EDIT: It was still woefully slow.
I just did it to keep me amused, threw some sportlines on there as well to stop me hating the car.

Megane 225 F1
What an utter waste of time and money. Anyone who tunes a 1.2 is a r****d

And yet 5 years ago it seems that people in this thread were normal and not getting the s**t ripped out of them.

Funny how things change over time.

Last edited:
Catcams do various camshaft profiles;

http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/Renault_Twingo_1.2L_8v.html

(Its listed for the twingo but its the same engine - i.e. DIET/D7F).

There was also some palce in germany that did exhaust manifolds but i can't remember the name now - been about 5 years since i had my 1.2 and 2 years since i've been on here.

The camsaft was reasonably cheap - i bought one and IIRC it was about £290.

You'd be best just getting that and a K&N/zorst and leave it at that.

Will sound like a mini valver and go well enough as well.

2003 Clio 172
Why....why is this happening?

Why tune a 1.2?

When i was a young'un and couldnt insure anything......I drove a panda, a P A N D A.

Obviously, I was NEVER going to get performance so i did the stuff that i could, sounds....wheels.....suspension etc.......and left performance until I could afford a real car.

J

Cant fit a 1.4 head.

The 8v energy engines have inlets at the back of the engine where on the DIET they're at the front.

Dunno about the 16vs but they're a different engine code as well so basically no they won't fit.

I disgree with the comments that its not worth doing;.

A cam will only be about 300 but if he sold his mk1 he'd maybe get 500quid for the whole car - you're not going to find 1.6 or dci for that money in reality!

Fair play to the lad IMO...its not like hes spending mega bucks.

172 Flamer, BMW E46
thanks to those who replied with helpfull comments, dont see why people have to post saying its a waste of time/money, you dont think ive already heard that ?? :L im not just doing it for performance, im doing it so i can learn how to rebuild an engine, so when i hagve something bigger i will understand what im doing, the plan is..

try and find a 1200 MPI engine
Strip it down, replace;
cambelt
oil pump
water pump
rebuild the bottom end, new pparts etc..
port and polish the head
fast road and race cams
map the ecu to suit cams
try and get an exhaust manifold
replace all gasketc etc
paint the engine all pretty colours :D

I don't understand the logic that tuning a 1*2 to gain 20-30 bhp after spending ££££'s is more acceptable than doing the same to a 1.2. Both will be noticeably different so why is starting with 100 more bhp suddenly making it justifiable?

As said it's a mug's game either way.

2.2 bar shed.
Blow it to bits with nitrous. Then once you've done that buy an RS and nitrous that.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Just read the first few pages. I cannot believe how people now frown upon anyone trying to make anything other than a Renaultsport Clio faster yet back then everyone was encouraging it LOL. Maybe it is because the people who once encouraged it are now driving 1*2's etc.