ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the noise???

S2000
basically as a few of you know I recently replaced the hub on my clio because the old one was needing replaced due to a bearing that had gone twice in a couple of months. Anyway, I had a new bearing put in the new hub (hub was taken form a clio at the scrappies) as it was needing replaced.

The problem is that since replacing the hub and bearing I can still hear a noise that is very similar to the noise a didgy bearing makes but I'm pretty certain it's not the same on again as I've only done about 60 miles on the new one and there is no play in the wheel. Is it possible to jack up one side of the car, put it into fourth gear and go to pull off as you would in first and just get the side thats jacked up to spin? The reason I ask that is because I had someone getting me to do something similar before as a check for the noise but I can't remember if you can leave one wheel on the ground?

If it's the rear bearing that's going will it have play in the wheel or how can I check if it's the rear bearing? (theres no play to be felt in any of the wheel at the moment)

If it's not a bearing have you got any other ideas as to what the noise could be? It's not very loud but I am that used to hearing my bearing go that I can pick out a similar noise as I tend to listen for it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

S2000
I've just been out for a drive and I'm now certain that the nose is coming from the rear of the car. I think it could possibly be a loose bolt somewhere which I have heard rattle before but only over very bumpy roads because if I slow down it seems as though I can hear this rattle become clearer and that maybe it's just that at higher speeds it's frequency makes it sound like a bearing.

Is there anything else that could be causing the noise from the rear of the car? I'm going to double check that the exhaust isn't catching anywhere but I don't think it's that as I can only hear the noise if I push the clutch in as the exhaust drowns out the noise.

S2000
Chapter 5, lol.

Been out again and the noise is coming from the back left of the car so I am presuming it will be the rear wheel bearings.

Can these be checked in the exact same way as the fronts - by checking for play in the wheel?

Is it the case (as I think it is) that if you replace the rear drum brakes this includes the bearings? The reason I ask is that I think the drums are a bit knackered anyway so if I could replace the whole unit then it would save some bother.

If it's not the bearing what else could cause this noise from the rear of the car? Could it have anything to do with the brake shoes inside the drum rubbing or anything?

Thanks.

Clio 1.8 16v
You can check the play at the rear just like the front. (Shake the wheel top and bottom, then left and right). If not take the drum off (30mm nut) and turn the bearing with your fingers. It will be too tight to spin it but you should be able to feel some roughness if it has gone. As for replacing the whole unit there prob no point. Just remove the circlip and press the bearing out. Wont be too expensive if you use non genuine parts. (But not advised). About £40 from Renault I think.
Chris

S2000
I've checked all the wheels and there is not any play in any of them. In terms of noise from the wheels when rotating them there are a couple of different noises from the back wheels.

The rear drivers side had a noise at one point in it's rotation which made a sort of "tss" noise if you know what I mean. This noise was at the exact same point every time in it's rotation and sounded almost as though it was clipping something everytime it turned but if that's the case it must be inside the drum as the wheel is clear all the way round.

The rear passenger side had a sort of constant noise almost liek the drum rubbing very, very lightly all the way round it's motion. I'm not sure if it's the noise they usually make anyway though. One thing I did notice is that the rear passenger side wheel has a very, very slight buckle in it - could this be the cause of the noise?

I think it's just the outer edge of the rim that's buckeled but I'm not totally sure.

What do you think the above noises and buckling is likely to suggest? Is there anything other than wheel bearings that could cause the noise.

Renault Clio 1.8 16V
i had a simalar problem with my last clio and had to replace the hub also on the front passengers side. as for the rear i dnt think there could be much else making the noise.....i suggest taking the drums of to get a closer inspection but the drums did rub slightly like the noise ur explaining on the passenger side on0both sides of my last clio.

Not sure about the drivers side though but clios are Very bad for the bearings going in them....have you replaced the rear bearings already??

S2000
I've not done the rear bearings but I thought that if the bearings had gone there would be a certain amount of play in the wheel? There isn't any play whatsoever in the wheels though.

I'm going to put the steelies back on the rear of the car and see if the noise is still there because if it's not I'll know it's just down to the rear tyres/slightly buckled wheel but if it is then I'll know it's something else.