ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's this ring on my shock?

997.1, Caddy, e208
I've got two identical part numbers for my rear shocks (Bilstein B4) however I've just realised one has an additional ring the other doesn't.

Does anyone know why and/or what it's for?

Googling the part number does show both versions
20231203_210006 (1).jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've got two identical part numbers for my rear shocks (Bilstein B4) however I've just realised one has an additional ring the other doesn't.

Does anyone know why and/or what it's for?

Googling the part number does show both versions
View attachment 1674521
Presume there's a boot that goes over the shaft and the ring is an end stop?

Is it removable?

997.1, Caddy, e208
I'm not at home to check, I presume it's not as I didnt even notice it was there on only one shock until someone highlighted it to me in my image.

I'd have thought I'd have noticed it moving when taking the photos previously, but I could easily be mistaken as I'm a bit docile.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
As it’s a read damper and therefore not sided it could be that one of them is a revision of the other.

997.1, Caddy, e208
As it’s a read damper and therefore not sided it could be that one of them is a revision of the other.
Is this likely to cause any variance in dampning if they're fitted together?

I've asked Bilstein the same question, but someone was in the middle of buying them when it was noticed, but I imagine they will be apprehensive fitting non identical components.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
Is this likely to cause any variance in dampning if they're fitted together?

I've asked Bilstein the same question, but someone was in the middle of buying them when it was noticed, but I imagine they will be apprehensive fitting non identical components.
That’s a question for Bilstein but as they’re B4 then they’re OE replacement then I doubt there’s anything noticeable.

To be clear, I would absolutely have to have them matching otherwise I wouldn’t sleep again.

997.1, Caddy, e208
I'm the same, irrespective of what Bilstein say - I'd want them matching.

He's getting them at 25% of retail, so he can't complain too much.