ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats worth upgrading for a track days / performance?

172 cup
Hi,

I have a 172 cup i recently purchased bought for some fun, not stripping it but would like to upgrade where possible if its worth doing for a few track days.

Its got a K-Tec panel filter and a stealth cat-back exhaust (supersports whatever that means on the invoice) Just had £1200 + spend on it with cam belt kit, pulley etc..... so the basics are kind of covered.
Im not sure if its already been remapped or chipped not sure how you can tell to be honest.

Now ive been reading past posts about Remaps / Chips. Generally i know its little gain but stronger through the rev range. Is this worth doing? and what with who? Im in Hampshire so not going to travel the world for a remap. (assuming mine hasnt already had this)

Also suspension what is worth doing if anything at all? would i be right saying the cup are slightly stiffer? Mines standard cup set up.

Inlets. What is worth doing with this? anything?

I hope some can help or point me in the right direction.

mk1 Octavia VRS
Theres always room for improvement.
Until you take the car out on track you might find other more important areas for improvement before worrying about spending money on suspension/remap/inlets.

There are plenty of other threads on here about getting you and your car ready for the first track outing - have a search. To summarise though:

• Brakes. Front pads with enough 'meat' on. Bleed the fluid if it hasn't been done recently. Brake fluid absorbs water over time so old fluid will boil quicker on track. Having confidence in your brakes is quite important!
  • Tuition. Common novice mistakes are turning in too early, bad hand positioning on the steering wheel and not being smooth with steering inputs. On most tracks you shouldn't need to move your hands from the quarter to three position (or ten to two if that's what you prefer).
After that you may want to look at better brake pads, better suspension, better tyres, a different steering wheel/seat and more tuition.

SQ5
Spend the money on buying track days rather than buying stuff for track days but not actually going.

Couldn't agree more with this.

The cars are great as standard on track, I've just returned mine to near standard ready for trackdays.

Good brakes, good tires, have some fun.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Decide why you're doing track days and then mod to suit.

By that I mean if your just going for fun then get any Clio sport mechanically sorted and learn how to really work the chassis.

Or if your going to make a point of trying to show up faster stuff then you need to strip it out and go down the modding route.

If you get a Clio sport hovering around it's limit on track it's an absolute riot. Standard car with a bit of tuition and trail braking practice and you suddenly realise why the magazine's didn't shut up about the turn in, neutral/oversteer chassis balance and throttle adjustability. It's why my Cup still runs 195/45 instead of 205/45 road rubber. I wanted to learn not set lap times.

If you fit track day tyres and a suspension kit and understeer your way round the track as you've raised the limits a good chunk it isn't as fun. you have to go a fair bit quicker to find the limits and then it won't be anywhere near as forgiving to any ham fisted inputs.

The only mods I feel like I NEED are bucket seat and suspension and maybe maybe brakes (I'll find out tomorrow)

Everything else is a want imo

WRX
Also remember that you are in a road car that is suitable for a bit of fun on a race track. Keep your sessions reasonably short - 20 mins max. Mechanical sympathy means you won't be breaking things and spoiling your days. Decent pads are worth looking at otherwise you will probably only manage 10 minutes at a time. DS2500s are ideal.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Echoing what others have said. Tuition and track time is certainly one place to spend money.

Parts wise, I'd start with the brakes, and mod as you progress and you feel is required.

Make sure the car is fit for purpose and serviced etc.

Mini GP2
Tuition and upgrade/refresh the brakes. New fluid, braided lines, discs and maybe some upgraded pads and also ensure the car is fully serviced, oil, box oil, coolant etc... Get to know the car on a circuit before spunking loads of dosh on mods... no point being known as the guy who's got all the gear but no idea.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
If the brakes are all good even standard brakes are up to a 15min session. A sign that tuition is needed.

I almost ran up the ass of a track prepared bmw at my last track day that was complaining of brake fade in the pits. He was carrying none of his braking into the corners when possible and instead was trying to go from three figures to 0 at the last second as fast as possible and then drive through the corner using his setup and grunt. I wasn't the only one caught out by his brake killing style.

Again I quote the magazine's in commenting that "the Clio showed no signs of brake fade during any of the tests"

If you are hard on brakes then brembo HC discs and an uprated pad should be plenty.

Im doing Snetterton tonight with OE brembo discs and pads and just my fogs opened up with those ebay things and also have them in my arch liners. No ducts. No braided lines or uprated fluid.

Will let you know how it gets on.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
In this order...

Tyres
Brakes
Tuition

Tuition is last because the other two you have before you go on track. Learn to drive the car fast enough to warrent upgrades. You'll s**t yourself before the car does, so untill that point save up.

Looks like my brakes will be cool.

Apparantly its "mostly cloudy"

I'd say its pouring f**king rain and soakung f**king wet