ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel spacers

Clio 1.5 dci
Hi I’ve got a 2004 5 door dci 100 and was thinking about trying some wheels spacers

Are they a good idea and if so what do people recommend on the front and rear thanks

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
Beware you will go through wheel bearings quickly with them , but otherwise on my 1.2 3 door i had 25mm on the rear and 20mm on the front without any scrubbing on 185/55/15 alloys

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
Bloody hell, did you take the spacers off or keep using them?
I know but im young and stupid , kept using them for a while but ive just had some proper fitting alloys put on since i was getting sick of the spacers killing bearings , also found they have a massive effect on steering was like a relief turning without them

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I know but im young and stupid , kept using them for a while but ive just had some proper fitting alloys put on since i was getting sick of the spacers killing bearings , also found they have a massive effect on steering was like a relief turning without them
I'm going to sound like a prick now, but what ET were the old wheels, and what are the new ones? The bearings will obviously be affected by increased load, but that load is caused by the wheel centre moving outwards as the ET gets smaller, or as spacers are added. The steering feel will also be affected as you're drastically changing the scrub radius of the tyres.

If you had ET40 wheels and a 20mm spacer, that's the same as running an ET20 wheel without spacers. Unless the spacers were badly machined and caused vibration or wobble then it's more likely due to the increased load of the wheels being much further out than originally designed.

Then again, I could be talking absolute shite 😂

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
I literally had stock dynamique wheels:ROFLMAO: those were ET 43 6J with the spacers ive now got 6.5J ET40 without spacers. Honestly after driving with them for so long and now without as much as i liked the look im not sure it was worth the bearings and the steering feel but i guess its all down to what kind of driver you are and how rough you are when driving. The spacers were ebay specials that were supposedly hubcentric so might just be luck of the draw:ROFLMAO:

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
I think we found the issue 😉

Honestly though I can't believe you persevered through two sets of bearings, that's real dedication! I think I'd have thrown the spacers out with the first set of bearings they chewed up 😂
The second set was put on by a bit of a shoddy garage , the first set lasted the 7 months roughly but the second lasted barely 2. I had a reputable garage put the new set on and theyve been fine since with no issues and that was a few months ago , basically dont bother cheaping out and get them done in a decent place and youll be fine:ROFLMAO:
_nc_ohc=ZTMrXtcs0a0AX8XPaiB&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg
this is how they looked with the spacers on so worth the look until you see the bill for new bearings:ROFLMAO:
_nc_ohc=d19a1UdWIqIAX9uBE5B&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg
o135wAX8VHcbf&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

These are how it sits without spacers and with some damn bright wheels!

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah it did look pretty good on the spacers, no argument here 👍

So your old wheels were 6in wide and had a 43mm offset, the new wheels are 6.5in wide and have a 40mm offset, so your wheel looks like it's sitting 9mm further out than stock while only actually moving the wheel centre 3mm. If you wanted the same look as you previously had then some 7J ET36 would be perfect👌

Or just slap some decent 10mm slip on spacers on 😂

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
Ive just had a double check they are actually 7J my bad:ROFLMAO: its been lowered 40mm as well and had to shave the rear arch liner a smidge but overall with the combination of steering and bearings i think it sits just right. If i had a higher offset with the roads near where i live i might just end up without a liner or a rear quarter:ROFLMAO: