ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheels refurb!

E60 diesel powah
how much to get my wheels sprayed like this...

DSC08811.jpg

like this

rh.jpg

thank u!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Fred refurbs for about £150 I think mate, not sure what prices are for having different things done though.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
to get it done properly i.e. powder coating them and then baking them you'd be looking at between £35 - £50 per corner.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
why the hell do you want green wheels though - go with black or grey - they'd look the dogs on a black car.

White Evo V
Il do them for £50 per wheel. Im a spray painter, Can do them any colour and they will be done in a proper spray booth with standox paint.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
shouldn't spray wheels - they need proper powder coating and baking or the paint will just get fecked with the heat and brake dust etc.

White Evo V
PHP:
[ATTACH=full]258375[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]258376[/ATTACH] these are pics of cars and wheels ive done. I did a full respray and the wheels on the golf and the wheels,spoiler, tailgate, rear quarter and rear door on the scoob. Im a spray painter thats my job, we repair wheels every day. Also the paint we use is baked at 80degrees and its stronger than powder coatring. Powder coating can flake off and this cant, also powder coating is a v poor finish!!!
£50 a wheel as long as any arnt damaged.

Attachments

• Photo-0038.gif
    Photo-0038.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_4161.gif
    100_4161.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 27
  Lionel Richie
Powdercoating is weaker than paint??? ok you take a hammer to a painted metal surface and tell me if the paint flakes off!! you'll dent the material long before powercoat will fall off!

powdercoat is baked on at around 190degC

as for powdercoating being a poor finish! behave!

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

before/after
beforeafter.jpg

laptab3.jpg

Dci 100
i guess it depends what ur powder coating with, i hear icing sugar, fart powder and moon dust dont make for a spectacular finish on wheels, they'll certainly make someones wedding cake a talking point tho

Clio 172 mk2
I'm with powdercoating on this one

I ride BMX and all my bikes have been powdercoated...if they can take hits on ramp coping etc without flaking off then I'm sure it's fine for car wheels.

Those wheels look good Fred....where do you get them done?

YUM :star: Might swap my 17's for another set of these next year!

you got any pics of them fitted? i might have a blast in photoshop

IMG_1008.jpg

White Evo V
Sorry Fred didnt know you was a paint expert! Look I refurb wheels for a living, I do about 8 a day, I can guarentee you paint is stronger! And if powder coating was less chip resistant than paint and a better finish then why arn't our cars powder coated! You go to your local renault dealership and ask how there brand new off the shelf wheels are painted, I guarentee you they arn't powder coated mate! Also it doesnt matter what temp the paint is baked at, that doesnt make it stronger that just how long it takes to dry!

Lionel Richie
i'm not a paint expert, but my friend, who happens to own the largest wheel refurbishment company in the midlands, knows more than i do (and they do 50+ wheels a day)

you put a set of your wheels on a track car and i promise the paint will get too hot and flake off, powdercoat wont

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
Why do Porsche, Ferrari, Lamo etc all powder coat their wheels and not just spray them then? I'd be very interested to know as I assume, being bespoke designs for limited production run cars they'll not sacrifice on quality over cost....

White Evo V
No probs, believe what you want to believe. Paint is a better finish full stop, powder coating looses its shine, laquer doesnt! Im leaving it at that coz its going nowhere, every1 has there opinions.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
i was genuinely asking the question ben, it's not sarcasm.... just wondered why everyone - even the major brand mft's use powder coating and baking and not spray paint.... any thoughts?

Chocolate Bar™
you'll be looking at more than 35-50quid a wheel for them.

you'll need them powder coating and then polished back around the rim which is where your cost is going to come from. i'd be tempted to get them all polished for around 50quid a wheel, and then get them wet sprayed and laquered all over as it'll end up being easier

Lionel Richie
No probs, believe what you want to believe. Paint is a better finish full stop, powder coating looses its shine, laquer doesnt! Im leaving it at that coz its going nowhere, every1 has there opinions.

see thats where professional powdercoaters differ from backstreet efforts

2part powder systems, colour base coat laquer top coat