ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When do you stop? Seriously... when??

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
When do you stop putting money into a 13 year old Renault Clio?

I have owned my little Ph1 for a little over a year now. In that time I have spent an awful lot of money on the car because...its never quite felt quite how I wanted. So, in them 14 months of ownership I have done the following in order....

Cambelt and dephaser (Renault main dealer 1300 Euros)
All engine mounts, and bottom ball joints (renault main dealer)
Rear dampers, rear pads, some device that controlled the fan (Renault)
Speedline 2118's (bought with no tyres from a clio cup car, powder coated and brand new toyo's)
Vmaxx coilovers, Pollybushed bottom arms and KTR solid top mounts. (hate these dampers sooo bad, paid a local for fitting) <<Tracking
New windscreen (old one was chipped and scratched too badly)
New induction kit (to replace the BMC that was sucking hot air out of the rad)
New standard rear exhaust section to remove boomy aftermarket trash.
New inner track rods
new outer track rods <<Tracking
New wishbones.
Steering Rack bushes <<Tracking
New discs all round with drilled and grooved discs (rear bearing in disc)
New pads all round
New front pads to replace the mintex pads on the front (because trackday)
New driveshafts
Cup racer steering wheel and boss
front wheel bearings
Koni yellows (hate the vmaxx so bad)
Eibach sportline <<Tracking

Not Driven it with the latest suspension as that's being fitted tomorrow. I pay for labour, I live in an apartment with no where to work on the car. Fitted the front discs in the carpark outside and it was a pain in the ass. I have spent a lot of money on this car in the last year.. A lot.

This however... is the kicker, I now have the car to a state where I am happy with the chassis, Its all pretty much new, I know its good. Scumbag brain however has rubbed his little hands together and said "Right.. now that engine HAS got to be worn".

The car is a shitter tbh. The inside is hammered, the vents are broken and hang out, the dash is scratched around the radio, the silver things on the doors were resprayed badly and the seats have seen better days. The front bumper is hanging off, the bonnets been sat on and is all kinds of bent/dented, the car looks fair at best. But I love it, I hate it and I bloody love it. Now I cant sell it, because its a s**t old Clio..So where does it end? Whats next?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Modifying my cars is my hobby, I view money spent on them as no different to on any other hobby, I dont expect to get it back.
I just stick to only spending what I can afford to lose.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The golden Rules of buying a car to plough money into-

Buy Mods that can be removed & sold to minimise loss-
Buy a Desirable Spec / Mileage to start with so its desirable when you come to sell it.
Spend disposable income.

Theres no good ploughing 6k Euros into a 110k car.
You cannot polish a turd.

Cup In bits
I can imagine that has been very pricey for yourself with paying labour for the current spec, I personally have spent stupid amounts on my two clio's and tow car etc etc to go racing but I don't regret it as I get enjoyment from driving it/them, it keeps me busy fixing things and its something I have always wanted to do.

My mates on the other hand don't agree..."how can you spend so much" "how can you be arsed"

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
The golden Rules of buying a car to plough money into-

Buy Mods that can be removed & sold to minimise loss-
Buy a Desirable Spec / Mileage to start with so its desirable when you come to sell it.
Spend disposable income.

Theres no good ploughing 6k Euros into a 110k car.
You cannot polish a turd.

No, but the turd handles much better now and a serious itch got scratched. There's always a new itch.

M2 Comp
Stop when you no longer enjoy it.....

I genuinely enjoy spending money on my car, which probably makes me quite sad?!

As Chip said, it's a hobby. Some people are happy to blow £100+ every weekend getting p***ed, whereas I get a buzz out of modifying / looking after my cars.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As Chip said, it's a hobby. Some people are happy to blow £100+ every weekend getting p***ed, whereas I get a buzz out of modifying / looking after my cars.

Exactly, spend 100 quid on some top mounts and they might depreciate to 70 when used, but thats better than 100 quid on booze that ends up as piss!

Seams like you bought a car that requires a lot if work !

Mods imo dont count as you would more than likely do them on another car, as for maintenance, shop about a bit, dont just buy straight away ! and dont go main dealer lol

Think before you buy , and buy clever you bought two sets of pads a mintex pair then a track set to replace them , might be worth trying to box clever a bit!

My clio is verging on 100k now and i cant fault it, spent a little money but all cars need something !

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I've had my Ph1 172 for eight years and changed many parts like you either due to wear or, when I was less experienced, in the belief that they could be improved. I stopped when I realised it couldn't be improved (by much anyway) and bought a Subaru instead and now I'm liking the Clio for what it is - a bit slow overall but a lot of fun all the same and something I won't sell. You should buy a bicycle really as you live on the 'Dam.

Ive only just turned 21 and only had my RS for 7 months, spent a few grand on it so far and got cams going in next week :D. I love cars and love spending money on them, i dont drink and dont smoke or waste any money on anything but my car, thats how i choose to live to afford to spend on the car, i realised if it makes you happy then do it and keep doing it until it doesnt make you happy anymore. I get the 'Why waste money on a clio' continuously, but i dont see alot of people with much to show and that their proud of.

Yeah at some point i need to stop or slow down atleast and save for a morgage etc, and all the 'Grown up stuff' in life, but while im young and earning good money and got a good disposable income why the hell not throw it at an old clio, might not be as fast as some of these new hot hatches, but mummy or daddy didnt buy it for me like most kids. I worked hard for it, and so long as i can still work i will be spending money on cars...

i always say nope it's not getting any more money when something goes wrong but you know summit, it's always fixed and think in the 32 month's iv'e had it the car stands me at about 8k and that's not really with much in the way of mods lol 3200 of it is the price of the car

I keep asking myself the same question as the op tbh

Car valued at circa 1k tops, I have spent about that same amount on mods, spent 3 times as much on repairs and still find my list of mods growing lol

Should stop after these last couple of bits and belts are done tbh but I keep finding myself looking at trendlines to add to the list and a snappy steering wheel....

I don't think I will ever sell this car once it is done tbh

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Im the same...

Belts done
2 new shafts
New coilovers
New windscreen
4 new AD08s
New brakes all round
Induction kit
Exhaust work

Alot of other small things aswell, it all adds up but...

A nice sunny day, tank of Vpower dry twisty roads, i dont know if i'd have as much fun in anything else!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I've spent thousands over the last 5 years on the 5 clios that i've owned. I've enjoyed doing it as people have mentioned it's a hobby and to me it's money spent from my wages and not borrowed from the bank or on a piece of plastic. I'm really enjoying the Petrol Blue at the moment as for once i've bought a Clio that someone else has spent their money on so i don't have to..... Although i'm now thinking of reasons why i shouldn't spend my money on a low boost turbo kit :eek: :D

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
The golden Rules of buying a car to plough money into- Buy Mods that can be removed & sold to minimise loss- Buy a Desirable Spec / Mileage to start with so its desirable when you come to sell it. Spend disposable income. Theres no good ploughing 6k Euros into a 110k car. You cannot polish a turd.

:eek: bought my 182 on 109k for £1,800 and have spent about £2,500 on it so far, whoops. I don't care, still loving it and want to keep it for years yet!

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Just like me. A lot of people always say 'Why spend all your money on a shitty car' and I always say 'why spend your money on going out every weekend to get 'HAMMERED' and waste a load of cash when you can have something to own at the end of the day that your proud to own?

Tbh if you dont look back at your car when your walking away from it, You've bought the wrong car :p

Even though im the same as a lot of people, I say I wont spend anymore but then it either breaks so I have to repair it or I get a big urge to buy a part that i think will be good for the car :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think there is a need to seperate spending for "fixing" and "modifying"

The first isnt really an optional thing if you need the car for transport.

FF Racing Blue 182
I know what you mean mate i bought a lemon too

However now £1200 odd lighter and 10 months of ownership its still needs more

It's came close to breaking me and my partner up this car trying to explain wear and tear to a woman is hard

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I agree but whenever something needs repairing, it's time for an upgrade!

What annoys me in a way, is that there's just nothing for the price that beats a Clio RS for what you get... it keeps me coming back. At this rate I'll end up turboing one rather than buying something else!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Just like me. A lot of people always say 'Why spend all your money on a s**tty car' and I always say 'why spend your money on going out every weekend to get 'HAMMERED' and waste a load of cash when you can have something to own at the end of the day that your proud to own?

I'd say it's about balance. Too many people these days are too focused on owning the nicest things they can, but as soon as something puts everything in perspective, you realise how little these things mean, and wish you'd spent more money enjoying time with your loved ones/friends etc.

I'm not saying spend all your money getting wasted, but I went through a spell of not going out as much in the past 6 months say, but just recently I've gone back the other way and it's reminded me just how much I love having a decent night out.

Personally, memories and things to look forward to are more important to me than my car, but that's just me, I understand if not everyone see's it the same way.

My life was a lot more fun when I went out every weekend than it was when spending money getting my car sorted.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Lol. I'm not even going to put my bills up on here.

But, I bought it specifically to improve / mod and enjoy on track, so I went in with my eyes open. Some people see it as daft, but its a hobby I enjoy. So, the answer to your question - I'll stop when I stop enjoying it. F**k everyone elses opinion.

clio sport ph 1
Same here just can't get rid of that little clio :eek:. I did spend sto much time on the thing. Fixing it ,modding it . New engine , gearbox the list goes on........... . At the end of the day you got a noisy fast little clio with rockhard supspension . That is not suitable for day to day use !
I just bought a seat leon 1.8 T on LPI , but it's a boring boat.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Just shat my second engine in 4000 miles. So now! Goodbye supercharger :(

Titanium ph1 turbo
Bought a mint ph1 in July 2012 and so far it's been rock solid, all it's cost me was £55 for a new lambda sensor to get it through MOT.

I used to own a R5 Turbo... now that was a different story!

A shed
bought mine recently for £800 and have already spent £1k on it in bits

new clutch
new front brakes
OZ F1's with legal tyres
new driveshaft
new springs
new gearbox mount
polybush for dogbone mount
KTR induction kit
3m headlight repair kit

only owned it four weeks lol now looking at a steering wheel re-trim and matched inlets......