ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When is it time to call it a day?

172 Cup
Ok, so this is something that’s know I will have to decide myself and that everyone will have a varying opinion. I would however be interested to hear some thoughts on this.

I’ve had my 172 Cup for almost 5 years now and I love it. Bought off a member on here who had owned it for about 7 years and it’s always been cared for. I did the belts, upgraded a few bits and pieces and refreshed the suspension / front end and brakes a couple of years ago.

Last year I had a huge commute and stuck about 30k on it and now it’s up at the dizzy heights of 159k but still runs great.

Generally it looks great but unfortunately has some marks including a scrape on the r/o/s from a person that didn’t leave details. That annoys me and will cost about £500 to repair. It’s also got a bit of rust starting on the arches. But.... ding aside, it looks fantastic and the paint and interior reathe miles. It’s like it’s been clocked in reverse lol.

This year it’s due belts again and although I expect the rest of it will be grand, I know that I’m looking at about £700+ to do that and for it’s service.

My friend bought a rather lovely silver 172 last week for £1700 with 95k and good history.

That did make me wonder if I would be better looking at another whilst there are still bargains around and before I invest the extra money in mine.

I’ve got the Clio bug badly and wouldn’t be moving to another marque. Ideally I would love a Trophy to cherish but I cannot justify the extra currently. I’ve also had a hankering for a mk3 200 but would worry that it didn’t have the zing of the 172 Cup.

Wonder if any of you have sold on for a fresher car or stuck by an older one.

22586CC4-A7B2-409F-8EAB-B8190A29EB44.jpeg

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
A phrase that comes to mind is this: Better for devil you know.

As much as these arent hugely expensive cars, there can easily be quite major hidden costs. Stick with what you know is what I would do. Easier said than done. Good luck :)

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I sold mine on 150k ish after spending probably 7k+ on it and i regret it. Loved that car!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Tricky one.

If you’re in it for the long term I’d maybe find a low mileage one but the prices for really nice ones are getting up there. For a decent colour, low mileage example I’d expect £2500-£3000 wouldn’t be far off? I personally wouldn’t buy a silver one now as they are going to need paint sooner or later and silver ends up like a patchwork quilt unless you’re going full paint. I’ve seen a few painted silvers recently and they’d do my nut in being differing shades especially as Clio’s always look a bit off with the plastic front wings on silver anyway.

Really depends on the mileage you’re going to add on I guess. My own car has done 131k but it’s in really good condition and I don’t see many about as nice so I’d be reluctant to sell mine but I’m not thinking long term investment in any way.

I will say though, if I wanted one to keep long term & be a reasonable car type investment I’d buy a low mileage one now as I don’t see any reason why these cars won’t be a lot more money in years to come. They’re still a lot of car even at £3k really.

172 Cup
Yes, I’m not thinking investment. Mine won’t ever be worth a lot because of the miles that is for sure. If anything, the mileage has allowed me to use it constantly without guilt or concern that it’s costing me money. I think I recognise your username from the old Scoobynet days? I had a P1 for a while.

I agree that now is the time to buy a low miler and keep it mint but I like to use my cars so that really wouldn’t be an option for me.

Thanks for the opinions folks. Interesting that most are saying “keep it”, I’m definitely leaning that way.

172 Cup
4/5 small bubbles at the back corner of each arch. One of the arches would need fixing regardless if I was to fix the scrape.

Some surface rust in the boot well due to water ingress at a point too.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Keep it. What’s it worth to sell? £2k?

You know it inside out and you enjoy it.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Spend the money, get the belts done and get it painted. Another car could be a few grand as it appears lovely on the outside and then need a good few grand on getting unseen issues sorted.
159k is sod all if the cars been cared and maintained.
just enjoy it. :)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Definitely keep it - those numbers on the clock mean nothing. You could buy a lower mileage one, but that never means it’s in better condition.

Different cars, but I’ve recently bought a Discovery 3 with 188,000 miles (now on 193,000) because it drove nicer than the one I test drove earlier that day with 92,000 miles on it.

Mileage doesn’t mean it’s been looked after. I’ve seen cars 6 months old on budget tyres and 10-15 year old cars having Michelin (top brand) tyres fitted.

condition > mileage.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, I’m not thinking investment. Mine won’t ever be worth a lot because of the miles that is for sure. If anything, the mileage has allowed me to use it constantly without guilt or concern that it’s costing me money. I think I recognise your username from the old Scoobynet days? I had a P1 for a while.

I agree that now is the time to buy a low miler and keep it mint but I like to use my cars so that really wouldn’t be an option for me.

Thanks for the opinions folks. Interesting that most are saying “keep it”, I’m definitely leaning that way.

In that case, keep it. My engine seems sound at 131k and was talking to my mate who had one that’d done 175k and was still going strong (until aux belt went and wiped out the timing belt gulp)

Get the belts done (aux And tensioner too) and keep trucking!

Yes, been on SN for 18 years. Still have a V6 sti and a WRX wagon as well as the 172.

172 Cup
Cheers folks. Appreciate your thoughts. I knew a few of you would have had similar predicaments at various points. Gut is saying stick with it and spend the money required to enjoy to the full.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Definitely keep it.. Mine is at 125k miles and the previous owner racked up loads of motorway miles on it in just a few years.. I had some head work done to mine last week and I couldn't believe how clean it still was in the top of the head and I was even more shocked that in the inlet chamber, it was sparking clean with not a trace of carbon build up.. If yours has been regularly serviced and you've looked after it all these years then it's really a no brainer to get back to how you want it and keep on motoring... picture of my valves..
e3e87dd930bf1d9a299c6021bb0ef533.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

172 Cup
Definitely keep it.. Mine is at 125k miles and the previous owner racked up loads of motorway miles on it in just a few years.. I had some head work done to mine last week and I couldn't believe how clean it still was in the top of the head and I was even more shocked that in the inlet chamber, it was sparking clean with not a trace of carbon build up.. If yours has been regularly serviced and you've looked after it all these years then it's really a no brainer to get back to how you want it and keep on motoring... picture of my valves..View attachment 1458503

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Wow impressive!! Yep mine has been motorway miles, cruising at 60 to limit it to two tanks of fuel a week!

Yes, mechanically it’s had no expense spared. Regularly serviced at Rentec in Edinburgh and with a stack of receipts from there. Only run it on super unleaded too.

Decision made. Keeping it. Project thread dug out too :ROFLMAO:

Land Rover
Keep it!

l bought a mint looking 182 that had done about 60,000 miles less than yours for £2,600 and ended up spending £3,000 on it. Yours sounds like £1,500 will do all the work it needs.
You could buy another that looks better and end up spending a fortune on it.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
I had a similar thing with my 182. 160k on the clock, mechanically not bad, apart from a couple of little bits like the old airbag light, but had a long scratch on the rear quarter. It was getting a bit scruffy as i'd been doing a house up and carting stuff about in it. Decided that rather than spend the money on the 182 which was silver, and I always said I never wanted another silver, i'd cut my losses and trade it for something on lower miles that i could look after more, now i'm doing a lot less miles (3.5k in the last 9 months) and after looking at various clio's ended up with a Meg R26. Similar age to the Clio but only 86k. Happy with my decision but then again our other car is a freelander so getting out of that into the clio was like getting into a matchbox car. The megane feels a lot bigger and less rattly compared to the 182 but still has all the fun. Depends on how attached you are to the car. I never really was with the 182. Brought it for £1500 and part ex'd it for £800 6 years and 70k miles later. It served it purpose and was good fun but never felt like a keeper. Much happier with the R26 and can actually be bothered to tinker with it again sorting it out.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I owned mine from 8k miles to 84k miles. Sold it for a Mini GP1 (Absolute H.O.S!!) #fail
Took me 4.5 years to get the car back, bought it back on 111k miles and have thrown everything at it to get it back to as it was before. Like many of us, i dare say im fortunate enough to be able to have a more expensive newer daily that arguably faster and more comfortable. Yet the little 182 is absolutely mega to drive and even alongside my Cayman, the 182 is still just as enjoyable.

Looking forward to reading your project thread, best of luck :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well mine is on circa 165k and will be going away for several weeks from the 25th March to get mechanical work done. The cost is daft for a 15-year-old Clio - certainly on paper, but I was upfront and honest with myself.

First off, I'm the only owner of it - I know exactly what has gone on throughout its history. Two, if I had a wedge of money and could walk into a dealership for a new car - could I get anything similar? Nope - cars like this aren't made any more. There are plenty of quicker, faster and more luxurious options out there, but the era of a small, circa 1ton car with a non-turbo, large'ish capacity engine and great chassis is long gone.

There are other 2nd-hand cars I'd consider for the same money - but then they would invariably need further work themselves. I could be lucky and get a great car, but I could also end up with a lemon and regret getting rid of the 182 even more.

The final decision for me came down to the blunt question - do I actually like driving it? Of course I do and for that reason alone, my mind was made up. Unless you really dislike the car or simply have no attachment now to it whatsoever, I'd definitely suggest keeping it.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
not read all this, but my 182 gets 12k a year stuck on it, I've run it daily for 8 years nearly now and no way i'd sell up for another car the same on lower miles. 100% better the devil you know. 212k on her now and plenty of pep in her step

I also have some bills imminent and corrosion issues, looking at 700 quid for front suspension/steering refresh, belts again next year and 700 quid to replace a rusty arch/petrol cap area. I'm putting the money into it rather than buying another.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
I think it all comes down to how much you really love the car. The bills never seem as expensive the you like the car ....

Land Rover
I loved my RB182, it was fabulous to drive but after spending £3,000 in under one year l’d had enough.
You have to remember that these are old cars now, mine had 14 previous owners and 100,000 miles.
l still think that the 182 is a bargain at the general selling price of around £2-3,000 so long as you get a good one.

partybish

ClioSport Club Member
If you would only buy another one then my advice is don’t sell the one you’ve got.

I sold my cup when one of the cylinders went and the repair costs was bigger than the value of it to me at the time. I regretted it as I loved that car and I often trawl the net looking for it, I reckon I’d buy it again if the price was right.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Realistically unless its a special one they are unlikely to fetch so high value that the long term costs of storage is a worthwhile expense.
Enjoy it. I've bought a high mileage 182 based on its service history and the care the previous owner took with it rather than its long term value vs a low mileage version