ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where to start...

06 Clio 1.5DCi
ok - bought car in January - been back 3 times since to get "things" repaired or fixed: -
1) first weekend GF noted back light was broken (hole in the clear part of light - caused bulbs to go) got it fixed
2) below the bumper the black surround was loose at either side, so got them to sort that too - told them off clutch occassionally making a loud clicking noise when its pushed in
3) rear wheel bearing on passenger side collapsed - again told of noisy clutch (now this noise doesnt happen everytime, but does happen once a day usually)

so the light was fixed, bumper was sorted, and rear wheel bearing was replaced, i have had the car back a month and after 2 weeks the back end of the car started getting noisy AGAIN! so as by now u can tell im pretty annoyed by all of this, i would imagine it is the other bearing going, but i cant tell as much as before because it just gets noisy once i hit 25-30mph and the faster i go the louder it gets. As for the clutch, it still makes that rather irritating noise, and now i notice when i am turning that there is a bit of give in the steering at times, not anything major like but there is a slight knock from the steering wheel, notice it alot more when dry steering.

i have a years warranty, and when i bought the car it had a FSH at all Renault approved dealerships and one owner; the garage i bought it off "serviced" it before selling me it, which now i highly doubt, and to save me going up again to get them to "look at it" i am taking it to my local mechanic who always looked after my old car so he can have a look over these "problems" - my question is am i at risk of voiding my warranty if i say to the dealership once i know all the things that need fixed on the car that i had my usual mechanic look at it to give me a list of things that need fixed?

i would imagine that the only way i could void my warranty is if i got my normal mechanic to fix whatever is wrong and then tell them this, but as far as i am aware i am well within my rights to get a "second opinion" provided no work is carried out.

Thoughts guys please.

Barge
A second opinion is fine, they haven't touched the car, they've only looked at it. You're fine to say this to them if you don't trust the clowns at the dealership. Ring Renault UK, TBH. I always do.

Knocking could be strut top mounts?

EDIT: I realise not all Renault mechanics are clowns... Just, well, most! Or at least the ones I've dealt with!

06 Clio 1.5DCi
Needster - thanks for the quick response. I will give Renault a ring on my lunch see what they say.

I am currently writing my note to the mechanic (who i normally go to) of things that he could check over for me!

everyone in work told me "dont buy French" but i dismissed them. I am just hoping that once i get these problems ironed out that i will never see that dealership again. I love my car, beats the hell out of driving a clapped out vauxhall corsa, but am losing patience with it at the same time.

RB FF 182
Alrighty Lee,

Knocking from the steering could be a number of things from experiance:

Top mounts as mentioned above
Droplinks being Broken
Drive shafts developing a split

The Clutch problem, does it dissappear when you depress the Clutch pedal? If so it could be the Clutch Release Bearing

And the noise from the back does indeed sound like the Bearing.

You know where I am if you want me to come take a look at the car lad gimme a buzz! :)

Even still, these are all "armchair diagnostics" a 2nd opinion is always a good idea :)

As for voiding the Warranty, if its the like of a motorcare warranty, they just require it to be taken to a VAT registered garage.

Niall