ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which camera

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ok,
im pretty competent with a camera,
i just want that sharpness you get with a SLR

whats the best, within a reasonable price range?

RS 172
Canon's EOS 350D and the Nikon D40 (not the D40x) are decent DSLR's at reasonable prices. There are some others out there aswell, and also consider a second hand buy for some good deals with lenses etc.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
yeah had a qick mooch at the d40 as ive heard it mentioned a few times.

i dont mind getting second hand,

Revels Mum & Sister
I would say D40 I had one before my D80.

However go to Jessops and handle BOTH Canon and Nikon. You cant go wrong with both its just personal pref.

When you say competent? Do you use Manual mode on your camera? if it has it? Or Aperture and Shutter Priority mode?

If not then you have a lot to learn but it is well worth it once you get your head round White Balance, Shutter and Aperture modes, Lighting, ISO etc etc

LY 182 FF CUPPED
its going to be the BMW v MERCEDES thing......i.e NIKON v CANON
One piece of advice I would give you is ...if its going to be a long term investment you need to look at LENSES.
All the big names will be going full frame sensor in the next year or so and not all lenses will work.
Have a look at www.warehouseexpress.com
They are usually up to date when price drops are concerned, and they like jessops will even price match.
I have personally used the D80 and think its a cracking mid range/ beginners camera if you can afford it.
We use NIKON at work...but I have a CANON so I am not biased in anyway to a specific brand.
Best advice is to go to a decent camera shop and see if they will let you take one out for the day.
Its down to handling and how you like the individual controls.
Don't get caught up in the MEGAPIXEL battle.....10meg is plenty for most.
The camera is the cheap part........its the lense that needs the most attention.
I.e a cheap lense will not make any camera "sharp"
But a 'SHARP" lense will make a cheap camera 'GOOD"

1 Series Coupe
its going to be the BMW v MERCEDES thing......i.e NIKON v CANON
One piece of advice I would give you is ...if its going to be a long term investment you need to look at LENSES.
All the big names will be going full frame sensor in the next year or so and not all lenses will work.
Have a look at www.warehouseexpress.com
They are usually up to date when price drops are concerned, and they like jessops will even price match.
I have personally used the D80 and think its a cracking mid range/ beginners camera if you can afford it.
We use NIKON at work...but I have a CANON so I am not biased in anyway to a specific brand.
Best advice is to go to a decent camera shop and see if they will let you take one out for the day.
Its down to handling and how you like the individual controls.
Don't get caught up in the MEGAPIXEL battle.....10meg is plenty for most.

This man speaks sense! Very good advice Sir! :star:

screw canikon and get the best

Olympus FTW

EDIT:

Whatever you buy though, goto digitaldepot.co.uk call and speak to Stuart Boston and tell him Ken Thomas recomeneded you deal sure to be had that way ;)

LY 182 FF CUPPED
If you have Olympus ....its gonna bite you on the ass next year once full frame sensors hit the high street.

Full frame sensors are already on the high street! I dont really car, am happy with the selection of Olympus and Leica lenses for my E1 thanks ;)

When the time comes I'll be having myself an M8

D

dick

Canon's EOS 350D and the Nikon D40 (not the D40x) are decent DSLR's at reasonable prices. There are some others out there aswell, and also consider a second hand buy for some good deals with lenses etc.

wouldnt go with the 350d.
yonks old now (3 years) and looks very dated, and all software is 3 years old, 400d is much improved imo, with the bigger screen. my mate has a 350d and the lcd exposure meter on the back sickens me to be honest.

450d is out in a month(end of feb), which has live view and a few more megapixels and a touch faster burst and a bit bigger VF.
but 400d will be sold below it afaik.

imagewise, its arguable that there all of a muchness. canon / nikon / olympus/ etc
all produce excellent images when hooked up with good lenses.

as said, much of it is how it feels in your hands and the ergonomics of it.

1 Series Coupe
Theres always going to be that problem with technology. Once you buy something the next model is out. You just can't win!