ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which one to buy

Hi to everyone on this forum.
My names dan from hull.

I've joined this forum as I'm wanting to get in to doing track days. I'm on other forum and the vote gas been that the clio 172/182 are the best car to have (in my price bracket) to start in to this sport. I've been reading some thread on some other peoples track cars and got lots of inspiration.

My main question which one is best to get to start with.
My budget is 1-1.5k. To get a clio
Then go from there with the mods.
Lose weight
Tyres
Brakes
Cage
Seats/harnesses.

Thank you for any comments.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
If it's track car go for a 172 cup in my opinion.

They are already slightly lighter than 172 non cum and 182, no ABS or ESP fitted most don't have air con so saves stripping that out.

PS welcome to the forum.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Get the nicest Clio within budget. Imo there isn't any diff between a cup and normal 172, that you would notice anyway

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup clio v6 st
cup is more raw,sharper throttle response imo nd feels lighter etc,had a standard 172 and 183,cup is my fave go for what you feels best m8

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If your stripping both cars for 'track use' then the weight thing is irrelevant. Get the nicest car for the money

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
As said, buy the nicest / mechanically sound car in your price bracket.

If it's a track car cup vs non-cup becomes a mute point, especially if it's being weight stripped, coilovers etc.

Welcome along! Quite a few track cars in here :)

Hi all

I'm thinking of letting the mot and tax run out on the car when I get one, like an all out track car, cage seats an all that.

What is the real cost of a track car.

Does my car have to be insured or is there track insurance on the days of my track days.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
If you plan on running the car without MOT and tax, then you need to factor in the cost of a trailer / towing license (new rules on towing), and of course will need a car suitable to tow. You can run on track with no insurance, but if you crash it then it's your loss. You can get track cover per day from people like MORIS. Personally, I'd keep it road legal to begin with, drive to and from track and get road insurance with someone like Greenlight (trader on here) who also cover trackdays.

In terms of cost of 'a track car' it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. A 1*2 will be fun on track with no mods except decent tyres and brakes.

You can then spend anything from £500 to £50,000 and everywhere in between.

My advice. Take it on track with decent brakes and a good set of tyres first (before doing any mods). Learn to drive it on track, and see if you like trackdays as a hobby. Then start spending money on it in the following order;

1) some Driver Tuition
2) tyres & brakes
3) weight loss
4) small things like Whiteline ARB, exhaust, steering wheel, breathing mods, RS Tuner map
5) decent coilover and suspension set up, PMS top mounts and front strut brace, with proper corner weighting and Geo
6) Limited Slip Diff
7) Cage / buckets / harness
8) uprated power I.e. Cams, ITBs or forced induction (turbo / supercharger)

I'd only go past 4 if you;

a) plan on keeping the car
b) don't mind spending money on it

Ye I've recently started a fab-weld shop so I'm thinking of fabbing up a trailer. But ye I reckon if get a car with mot I'll do some track days at Caldwell and elvington first.

Cub,
Great info, thanks for that. Like gabes I'm thinking of going clio, mine would be weekend back road use as well as track though.
When you list "2) tyres & brakes" would the brakes simply need better pads, or something more involved like discs, hoses etc?
I saw in Evo that Sam Sheehan was worried about the brakes on his 182...
Cheers,
Mike

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Cub,
Great info, thanks for that. Like gabes I'm thinking of going clio, mine would be weekend back road use as well as track though.
When you list "2) tyres & brakes" would the brakes simply need better pads, or something more involved like discs, hoses etc?
I saw in Evo that Sam Sheehan was worried about the brakes on his 182...
Cheers,
Mike

No worries, always nice to get more clio's on track :wink:

Brakes - ATE superblue or high quality fluid, Braided brake lines, Brembo High Carbon discs front, standards rear. Ferodo DS2500s or similar good racing / track / road pads at the front, standard pads for rear. 95 per cent of the braking is through the front. That setup can all be sourced from @G 172 on here who is a top trader and I highly recommend. If you're cooking that brake setup, you need to look at venting through the fog lights and adjusting your braking style :wink:

I've just moved to Brembo 4 pots but only because I'm heavy on the brakes and have supercharged it.

Tyres - I have 3 sets; Wet track / winter road - Pirelli PZero Nero, Dry track / summer Road - Yoko AD08r, track only - Dunlop Direzzas DZ03g.

I'd recommend running 15"s as tyres are much cheaper.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with the brakes and tyres. After driving many track cars of various power / handling abilities the thing which made the difference were these. I currently have Brembo HC discs on my clio and are good. Tyres are Toyo Proxes as it's also my daily drive so don't want road legal slicks incase it rains!

I would also think about bucket seats first or soon as they make such a difference as they do stop you being thrown around in the corners. If done correctly, the interior can be sold to make some funds for a pair of seats and harnesses plus other mods (although I still have all the plastic trim and door cards as they are har to sell )