ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining 2007 Mk3 Clio

2001 Clio Sport 16v
Hi all,

I have a 2007 1.2 Mk3 Clio and a while back it developed a whining noise which has gradually got louder. Got my stepdad to have a look/listen while doing an oil and filter change on it and he reckons sounds like it's coming from the alternator. Whine increases pitch with revs and is there straight away from just starting it up and idling as well as moving.
Other issue the car has had for quite a long time (at least a year now and nothing was picked up or mentioned about it last MOT) is juddering when pulling away (happens a lot of the time but not always). Wasn't sure if that could be a related or unrelated issue but thought I'd mention it.

I've had a look on other threads mentioning the same symptoms and many seeming to suggest possibly alternator, tension belt thingy, cambelt and so on...I haven't taken it anywhere to get it looked at or sorted out purely as I just have not had the funds for repair unfortunately so have been driving it just on short journeys and praying it won't blow up!
Now the MOT is due and wasn't sure if that sort of thing is a MOT fail or not but would like an idea of what sort of prices I could potentially be facing, if anyone might know?

Kind regards and thanks in advance. Bex

Last edited:
  monaco 172
Take the aux belt off and run the car and see if the whine goes. If it does it will be one of the pulleys on that belt run such as the alternator.

Murdering pulling away could be dodgy engine mounts.