ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whistle noise at top end ( after search)

clio sport mk1
Hi,

First of all you guys have a nice thing going around here with a lot of
important info, keep up the good work.
I recently bought a clio 172 mk1.
At high revs under accelaration ( above 5000 rpm ) a
whistle sound comes from the front of the car.
I have searched for the relevant threads and did not find a conclusive answer, is this a problem and what its origin , induction, valves ... ?
did anyone try to fix it ( i know it sounds cool but still. )

btw the car is completely standard.

tnx

ST
It may just be the induction note changing mate, as the cam profile changes at 5k in the F4R engine or whats known as the '5k kick'...

One of the more technically minded members will be along in bit and should be able to clear this up for you..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Its just the engine sucking in more air matey.

When the cam profile alters after 5k, the engine needs more air so it whistles as it sucks it in. I have a stripped out 172 mk1, and at about 6500rpm, it sounds like its singing to me!! lol

clio sport mk1
tnx guys :)

great so let's go out and whistle :evil:
just one small point to make , on the threads iv'e read regarding this some of you said that you do not experience this whistle,how come ?

It may just be the induction note changing mate, as the cam profile changes at 5k in the F4R engine or whats known as the '5k kick'...
The cams DON'T change at 5k its a 1.6 to 6.5k activation the VVT lark the 5k kick is due to the cams becomming more efficient.
When the cam profile alters after 5k, the engine needs more air so it whistles as it sucks it in. I have a stripped out 172 mk1, and at about 6500rpm, it sounds like its singing to me!! lol
The cams DON'T chanage at 5k its a 1.6 to 6.5k activation the VVT lark the 5k kick is due to the cams becomming more efficient.

2005 Nissan Navara
There is no change in profile, only timing. The kick is due to cylinder filling being increased as peak VE is being achieved.

The whistling is more likely down to harmonics and revurb within the inlet.

clio sport mk1
There is no change in profile, only timing. The kick is due to cylinder filling being increased as peak VE is being achieved.

so all clio sports should experience the
whistle under accelaration at high revs ?
(to some extent at least)

260% JCW
I get a whistle near the top end as well mate, i think its something to do with wind noise. Maybe a fooked seal somewhere??????

clio sport mk1
its can't be related to windows\mirrors since its only under accelaration
and not related to the mph i am travelling at.

Black-Gold 182

I agree with that one as mine does it also - the give-away is, it doesn't change in pitch, and since I changed my inlet hose to a silicon one, it has got a little quieter. Had it solely been sucking in the air, the pitch would change the harder you accelerate. The constant pitch indicates the resonance in the plenum chamber. We need to find someone who's TB theres and see if there's whistles also - I guess probably not.