ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wi-fi usb stick

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I have an older laptop at the moment, was a machine when it first came out about 3/4 years ago but never had wifi.

Is it worth getting a wifi usb stick in the short term until I invest in a better laptop.

Millions on ebay but I want a decent one. Will it give a decent signal compared with being wired?

Could possibly just run the telephone line upstairs and put the router in my room like I used to have then just cable up the laptop.

Anyone had any experience?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I've used them and they work well, it was a Netgear one I had and it was spot on

do you have a PCMCIA slot?

if so, you can get wifi cards to go in there, better than having a USB stick hanging out that you can catch

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if I have one of those mate! Never heard of one before to be honest!

koi

Audi S1
Go wireless then you can have p**n in every room :p

Stick to some of the known brands and you shouldn't have any problems, talking about £20 for a usb wifi adapter.

You can move your router upstairs as well and then just connect your laptop with a network cable.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate, i'll gte a decent branded one if i'm not putting the router upstairs.

It's just a little hassle after ripping out old cable out that went up the stairs!

I would like my PS wired preferably for gaming online. So might just bite the bullet and take the stupid phone line upstairs!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the help mate, I might grab a usb stick just incase i'm somewhere else in the house with the laptop and just get the router wired upstairs.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've used a NETGEAR usb stick before, worked well. But as said PCMCIA cards are a better option for a laptop, but will prevent it from being used with a desktop should you ever need to, (that's the benefit of a USB one). DLINK and NETGEAR are what I would go for, avoid BELKIN.