ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wii outsells ps3 in the us

none, just walk
i think it could be partly down to the lack of ps3 consoles though

Nintendo's revolutionary Wii, launched yesterday in the US, has already sold more than 650,000 consoles, shifting over twice as many as Sony's PS3.

Obviously, Wii's huge numbers are largely down to a bigger supply of available consoles than Sony managed for PS3's launch last week - if everyone who queued up and braved the utter madness had been able to bag a PS3, it's likely Sony would already be well on the way to catching up with Microsoft, who has currently flogged more than seven million Xbox 360s worldwide.

But it's promising news for Nintendo; Wii is a brave experiment in gaming, which now it looks like being a successful one, especially since Nintendo is already making money on each console it sells unlike Sony, or even Microsoft who probably won't see a penny of profit on 360 until next year.

In the end, though, it's all down to the quality of the games. If Wii can attract the same inventive, engrossing games that have made DS a huge success, while making intelligent use of its impressive motion-sensitive controls and simultaneously drawing in the legions of non-gaming public that Nintendo is keen to target, then Sony and Microsoft might have a real fight on their hands.

cant wait for a wii

Yaris Hybrid
I thought I read on here (or a link on here) that the 360 actually sells for $70 or $90 more than it costs to produce. Of course once the retailer and distribution costs have been taken off MS still lose a bit of money but so do Nintendo I expect.

Apparently though Sony sell the PS3 for $200 or $300 less than it costs to produce and once retailer and distribution costs have been taken off the loss for Sony is even greater.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
I often think if someone like Nintendo sold the Wii for say £50 they'd shift millions and millions, they'd still make their money on the games and clean up in the process!

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
yeah sony are selling the PS3 at a total loss, and will apparently take 3 years of sales before they come close to changing that.

source - bbc.co.uk

December 8th in the UK, most of the known allocation has already sold out on pre-orders (Amazon start taking orders tomorrow morning)

It is indeed selling well worldwide already but it was always going to "beat" the PS3 due to the units available, over 1m should be sold in the US alone within the week. Something like 10% of PS3s have or are being sold on Ebay already, but most people seem to be keeping the Wii to actually play games on it, amazing ;)

Just be careful with it when you get it :)

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Nintendo made sure they had almost 3 times the number of PS3 consoles available to buy.

why launch the ps3 at a loss?

Because they won't get it in as many living rooms at full price. Then they won't make money back in games and other parts etc... also keeps them competitive...

Might have to fork out for a Wii after X-mass, looks like a right laugh and the FPS games look awesome..

SLK 350
Iain C, most products rely on sales to cover R&D and innovation. It's not uncommon at all.

That said Sony have had one of the worst years on record this year with profits floundering, partly due to the Dell/Apple battery issue where Sony's batteryies were at fault. Nevertheless, Sony's gaming division is expected to make a $1.6 Billion loss this year...and I laugh in their retarded faces.

Sony have blown it for me this year with their ridiculous attitudes, and for bringing down companies like Lik-Sang, when it turns out that many directors and ceo's from Sony have been buying stuff from Lik-Sang themselves. Bunch of retards!

Sony have blown it for me this year with their ridiculous attitudes, and for bringing down companies like Lik-Sang, when it turns out that many directors and ceo's from Sony have been buying stuff from Lik-Sang themselves. Bunch of retards!

It would be fair to say Sony don't have too many friends at the moment, apparently the PSP is not performing according to the Climax CEO...

"To be honest and frank about it we worry about the future of the PSP," said Jeffery. In terms of sales of the actual units, it's not doing so great. The DS is going gangbusters, the sales volumes are going up exponentially. But the PSP worries us, because we're sitting here thinking about what Sony is going to do to get the platform back on track and we're not hearing much from them."

When asked whether he thought publishers may begin to abandon the format, Jeffery replied: "That's my instinct, yes. Maybe Sony has got something planned, but at the moment it's very worrying. It's probably the platform we're most worried about."

and this on the back of Nintendo announcing...

Nintendo has revealed that the DS has sold over seven million units across Europe, with six titles breaking the one million units sales mark.

Pet simulation Nintendogs has sold over four million units in Europe, while Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training and Animal Crossing: Wild World have both racked up one million sales apiece.

Nintendo's mascot continues to appeal, with Super Mario 64, Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. all enjoying sales of over 1.5 million units in the region.

none, just walk
i must admit i hated my psp when i got it, i bought it when it first came out, the novelty of paying £20 for a film i can watch on tv for half the price soon wore off, also the games are rubbish for it, i got rid of it two months after i bought it, got a ds lite a couple of months ago and it was amazin, the brain game is the only time ive ever sat with my parents had a laugh with them over a computer game, ive sold my ds cos i needed the money but i do miss it, animal crossing was a quality game, over the past couple of days the more i read about all the hype surrounding the ps3 the more i think its going to do a psp- be super popular at first everyone buying one cos its a ps3, then the novelty will ware off, i want the wii to succeed cos i love nintendo and i hope they can be what they were 15 years ago with the nes/ snes

Revels Mum & Sister
Same here got a Jap import PSP and sold it 2 months later as I never used it

DS I love it though. Must rekindle my love with the little White piece of goodness!

Revels Mum & Sister
LOL good cartoon.

The Wii would sell loads regardless how many PS3's were available at launch. The DS proved that you dont need fancy graphics to sell. As the DS outsells pretty much everything!

'We brought the Wii home and played it pretty much nonstop for the past 24 hours. At 12:10am, during a slower couch-sitting game of Wii Sports: Bowling, my Nintendo Wii got angry with me.

My buddy Troy reels back to roll his ball as he's done about 300 times tonight suddenly feels the controller slip from his hand. (THANK GOD for the wrist strap right?)

Nope. Wrist strap snaps. The Wiimote flies across the room impaling my 60" rear projection TV square in the upper left corner.

Be warned: Sweaty hands + faulty Wiimote wrist strap = broken ass TV.'

owned!!! lol

I want one!